Finally Broke 22:00 on my 5k!! (Read 856 times)

I ran a 5k this morning with my friend's dog and went 21:48!!! My previous PR from only 3 weeks ago was 22:41! Holy crap! Also, I was 3rd overall for women! (it was a pretty small race, probably less than 100 women)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is REALLY awesome! I doubt I will ever be that fast, much less place in race! WTG! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations! That is something to be really proud of! Cool
        ---- Cynthia

Now that was a bath...

Woohoo! That's my goal for the year (well one of them). I want to do a sub 22 minute 5K. Well done on the placement too! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            Thanks girls! Also, my dog buddy was the #1 dog! out of probably 30 dogs. And it was his first race!
              Congrats to both you and your dog buddy! Nice PR!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Good going! Racing with a dog must be a lot of fun. Congratulations! Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  Awesome! Maybe I need to borrow that dog. Smile

Michelle

Wow, very nice time!! Big grin I don't think I'll ever break 23:00 !!
                    2009: BQ?
                      Thanks! Running with the dog is awesome. I seriously talk to him throughout the whole thing which I think helps me with my breathing.
                      muse_runner

keep running.

Wow... any advice on how you did this? I'm all endurance... I'm faster on long runs considering how slow I run on short runs... it's bizarre... did you do any special training?
                        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                          I've actually just been running at my aerobic threshold so my runs have been like in the 9-10 min/mile range but by doing this I've been putting over 30 miles per week on my legs as opposed to about 20-25 when I was running faster all the time.
                            Excellent outcome. Keep at it!
                            muse_runner

keep running.

I've actually just been running at my aerobic threshold so my runs have been like in the 9-10 min/mile range but by doing this I've been putting over 30 miles per week on my legs as opposed to about 20-25 when I was running faster all the time.
                              This is what I've been doing as well.. I've PR'd on all of my 1/2 marathons and stuff lately. I'm just shocked that it would translate to speed at a 5k though. Usually people do repeats for muscle mechanics and such. If threshold running makes you faster, shoot I may as well try myself. I loathe the track more than anything!
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Now that was a bath...

Muse - look at Lydiard. It is the foundation of his theory that doing exactly that will make you faster over the shorter distances. It was proven time and time again with his runners.
                              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.