Humming birds (Read 584 times)

We put out feeders each year and so far each Spring they buzz the windows or doors to left us know they are back. Until this year we had 2 or 3 that came back year after year. Well about 3 weeks ago a huge group of them showed up!! It is as if a hornest's nest has been stirred up on our deck at times. Try counting buzzing hummers all flying at once. I think there are between 12 and 15 of them. The males are brave eough to land on my finger tips to eat from the feeder. Has anyone else had a hummer invasion?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...we get quite a few, but never numbers like that! I love hummingbirds. My cats really like watching them from the windows. I think they don't realize they are birds and not bugs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think the population exploded here at our feeders becuse of the drought. No flowers no food! I don't mind as it is fun to stand there next the feeders and let them buzz around you. They will come up face to face and check me out. Last evening one was attempting to land on my ear. One thing I have noticed is that they do hit each other and do so hard enough that you can hear it. I think even hard enough to kill each other. I found one dead on the deck a few days ago

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One thing I have noticed is that they do hit each other and do so hard enough that you can hear it. I think even hard enough to kill each other. I found one dead on the deck a few days ago
          Oh, males are VERY aggressive. I have read that one should have at least 2 feeders in their yard, since the boys are so territorial. We have just one and I'm starting to think that next year we should have a second at least a few feet away. k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Not too many this year, due to the drought, and maybe the late freeze, just not as many flowers. I had an albino a couple of years ago, that was interesting.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

We put out feeders on our porch every year but no "invasion" and have never been able to get them to land on my fingers. We keep many bright-flowered, hanging plants near the feeders as well so that there are a couple of feeding sources so but there are still lots of mid-air fights. We did have a titmouse family nesting in one of the hanging plants and the mom would often land on my knees and head when I would sit reading (running books of course) on the porch. That was kind of cool.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

hollles

i put up a feeder yesterday for the first time. within 3 minutes, there were 4 or 5 buzzing around the thing. one is very territorial now and will perch on the hanger. then when another comes up to get a drink, it chases them off. i guess i do need 2 feeders. i have a lot of trees behind my apartment, and they must have nests in them because they've been hanging around here for weeks now. how do i tell the difference between male and female? is it the color? if so, the territorial one must be a female because it's really drab looking compared to the bright green and red ones. it even came up to me and tried to scare me off when i was looking at it through the window, lol. cute.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

it even came up to me and tried to scare me off when i was looking at it through the window, lol. cute.
                  Pretty badass for something the size of a peanut! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

how do i tell the difference between male and female? is it the color? if so, the territorial one must be a female because it's really drab looking compared to the bright green and red ones. it even came up to me and tried to scare me off when i was looking at it through the window, lol. cute.
                    The bright color is the male. And yest do put up more than 1 feeder. We have 3 on our deck. We should own shares in sugar. (kinda funny as I am a diabetic). For awhile I was filling att 3 feeders twice a day or more. Sure hope the ALL return next year.