Taper for a Half Marathon? (Read 12495 times)

Bugs

For me rest starts at least 9 days before a race, even short ones like a 5K. The distance to run really depends on how your legs are feeling. I would try to end that last long run pleasantly tired. I wouldn't run it too fast (or real slow) but if you start feeling a bit tired save it for the race and walk home. Also, run it alone. If you're starting to rest up, running with someone else might set off the itch to push the pace.

This fall I was training hard for a 10 mile race, and was up to running 15 miles on a long run. I thought I would run 12 the week before but when it came to that day I had to stop at 6 because I knew I didn't want to be any more tired than I was right then one week before the race. I'm walking back to the start of the trail and wouldn't you know the hottie local iron-men come cruising around the corner and I was so embarrassed to be walking. Then two days later I was on the trail and cut another run short, and they saw me walking again. However I got my mojo back when the PR came the next weekend. Just listen to your body, and call it quits if you need to.

Bugs

Man in Tights

Thanks guys.

But I'm amazed how some guys manage to clock in over 100 miles a week. How d'ya work for a living after that?Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If anything, I might take it a bit easier *for a couple days* before the race.

Couple of things for perspective: Taper can mean reducing your weekly miles and/or your long run.  The long run piece of that equation is a bigger deal for people going longer than a half.

Now... I also don't taper for many fulls... but the difference is that I accept I'm not doing it "right" for a full and I do taper for fulls I plan on racing traditionally.

(in fact, my two half PRs came six days apart.  Meaning, that second PR was set six days after running a 13.1 all out.  I did not spontaneously combust and ran it faster.  However, this is where taking advice from someone should be viewed with the "where are they coming from" lens. I was running 70ish mpw at the time. This helps me recover faster.)

How you taper demands on how much of a base/foundation you have . Running 1800+ miles a year for 2 or more years injury free probably does not require a taper. I taper to insure the legs are fresh and to prevent doing something  stupid(standing up at work all day and then doing a six miler the day or two  before the race).I taper to reduce the likelihood of injury. I am   of high mileage runners. When was the last time an injury prevented  you  form running more than a week?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Runners run

Also, run it alone. If you're starting to rest up, running with someone else might set off the itch to push the pace.

Boy, I never realized how true this is until my experience just yesterday.  Until this fall I had always trained alone.  I have been training with a buddy now for 4 months and yesterday we ran 12 miles with two weeks left until our HM.  I went out and WANTED to do a nice easy pace.  He set out fast and once I warmed up and he was fizzling, I just couldn't seem to slow down.  I ran all 12 miles at just 10 seconds per mile off my goal pace (to set PR).  While that felt really rewarding, it made me realize that my 12 miles this coming weekend needs to be at an EASY pace so I don't do something silly.  Thanks for the advice....

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Right on Hereford...

Running 1800+ miles a year for 2 or more years injury free probably does not require a taper.

Why not? Actually it's the opposite, as Mikey pointed out earlier.

xor

I get a little fuzzy when people  throw out words like "require".  "Require a taper".  I dunno.  It hasn't worked like that for me.

As for injuries, I had to drop my mileage from the 70s into the 20s during July. This isn't the same as 0, but it is close enough.  I know a whole lot about what it is like to battle back from sickness and injury.  And while running was not the root cause in some cases, figuring out how to involve (or not involve) running/walking during the process w/o making things worse was a big deal.  This is true for many folks, in many conditions.

Anyway. I'd run a 12 miler the week before a half, and I would do this even if I was a lower mileage runner. I would not blast out a bunch of 800s or a tempo run the day(s) before the half.  I think this is sound for lower mileage runners and higher mileage runners.

Why is it sideways?

I get a little fuzzy when people  throw out words like "require".  "Require a taper".  I dunno.  It hasn't worked like that for me.

As for injuries, I had to drop my mileage from the 70s into the 20s during July. This isn't the same as 0, but it is close enough.  I know a whole lot about what it is like to battle back from sickness and injury.  And while running was not the root cause in some cases, figuring out how to involve (or not involve) running/walking during the process w/o making things worse was a big deal.  This is true for many folks, in many conditions.

Anyway. I'd run a 12 miler the week before a half, and I would do this even if I was a lower mileage runner. I would not blast out a bunch of 800s or a tempo run the day(s) before the half.  I think this is sound for lower mileage runners and higher mileage runners.

srlopez makes good sense when he wants to.

getout87

inappropriate
                    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

srlopez makes good sense when he wants to.

Yes, he does.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/