Hey all you Long Distance Road folk... (Read 822 times)

Do your joints hurt at the beginning of each run? I just started running at the beginning of the year (yup, another resolution guy) and at the beginning of each run, the first couple houndred yards I'm pretty sore. Knees, hips, shins anckles... elbows. Everything hurts. After a while though, the soreness goes away. Do you guys still hurt at the beginning of your runs, or is this just a newbe thing I'm going through? There are no trails anywhere near me, so I'm running on the street. Thanks a lot, Mike

~Mike

dork.major dork.

Welcome. A couple questions: Are you running in the cold? Are you going from standing still to running? Both of those will contribute to joint soreness at the beginning of a run and the two combined for sure. Both can be solved by warming up a bit more - either jumping jacks inside for a minute or walking to the end of the block before kicking it up a notch.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Your bod is still wondering what the heck is going on and it's gonna take a few weeks for it to get used to the new routine. Just maintain your present mileage for a while until your legs catch up with your enthusiasm. FWIW, I'm 53 years old and I don't hurt when I run unless I do something stupid. Tom
          That's what I was thinking. Thanks I'm running in the heat. Hawaii. I'm farely active all day, then run. We'll see how I feel in a month or so. Thanks guys.

~Mike

Sometimes I might be a little sore (usually the feet or calves, rarely the knees) at the beginning of a run when it is cold out, but I stretch out within a mile or so. I think the biggest issue is that you are putting new stresses on your body and it hasn't figured out how to cope with it yet. Don't worry though, the body is very resilient and has great survival instincts, so if you keep subjecting it to the stresses of running it will pretty quickly figure out how to minimize those stresses.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

HappyFeat

Maybe your shoes don't have enough cushioning for running on the hard surface. I never have any joint pain when running unless my shoes are warn out and then I get knee twinges which are my red flag to buy new shoes. You included your elbows in the list...Really? Do you get this with other types of exercise? Maybe it's not the actual running because I don't see how it could make your elbows hurt.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Walk. That's how I started out, just walk. Walk the Diamondhead loop (yeah, I've done it a lot). Work in some running, then more, until you're running most or all of it. Knees don't like to have a lot of running "sprung" on them by surprise, they want to be eased into it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You included your elbows in the list...Really?
                  No, sorry, I forgot to mention that I was kidding about that part. ha ha. That would suck though! I've been walking a lot, and just started the running. Thanks for all your comments! I'll re-post if it continues or gets worse. Mike

~Mike

Maybe your shoes don't have enough cushioning for running on the hard surface. I never have any joint pain when running unless my shoes are warn out and then I get knee twinges which are my red flag to buy new shoes.
                    This is a good thought. When you started running did you just get a pair of old shoes that you had and run in those or did you go to a running store and get fitted with a pair of shoes?
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

Queen of 3rd Place

I've read (Noakes, "Lore of Running") that it takes "12 weeks" for your connective tissues to remodel once you've started running. So, give it time - more time than you may think you'll need. Arla

Ex runner

Lazy idiot

I've read (Noakes, "Lore of Running") that it takes "12 weeks" for your connective tissues to remodel once you've started running. So, give it time - more time than you may think you'll need. Arla
                        And even longer for your skeletal system to adapt. Stay safe, take it slow (the progress), and you'll do fine.

Tick tock

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That sounds about right from my experience starting from scratch last year. I had just recovered from a torn MCL in my left knee, but I found that both knees were hurting equally badly after my runs. I called my PT, and he said just to cut back on the mileage (which was minimal to start with!). So I did, and the pain went away eventually. I'm glad I stuck it out, because that pain was pretty discouraging. Now my knees never bother me (knock on wood) and I'm up to 20 miles this week. I'm shooting for 25-30 miles each week to get ready for a HM in September. Mike, good luck, and keep running! Teresa
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

They did at first, but not a ton. Heck, even my guts hurt a bit from all the jostleing when I first started. It'll pass. Already been said, but I'll iterate: Make sure you're running in the right shoes.