An app for safe running (Read 136 times)

saferunapp

I am working on an idea and I want to ask the running community for feedback.
    It's a mobile app. During setup, you enter an emergency contact into it. Then when you go running, you tell it that you are starting your run. If the app senses that you have stopped for longer then the preset amount of time (set by the user), say 1 or 2 minutes, it asks you if you are ok. If you do not respond, the app automatically sends a notification to your emergency contact. Letting them know that you were on a run, here is your location and that something happened and you need help. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

kk_kittenkat

This exact service is already offered by Road ID.

saferunapp

You are correct. Although RoadID functions in a similar way. We are working on something that has many more robust features that have been requested by the running communities we've talked to like:

1) a user specified time frame that allows you to set how long you must have stopped for, before the app checks in with you, asking if you are ok and alerting your emergency contact if there is no response.

2) a panic button, which can set off an alarm (loud noise / flashing camera flash) or auto dial your emergency contact / police

3) a notification notifying the runner that sundown is approaching in x minutes

4) a function that can be set to remind you of something before you go running. Like to bring water or inhaler or turn off an appliance

These are just some of the features people have been asking for that we plan on including in the first version. There will be many more added features with time.

Honestly, I can't get that alarmist about going out for a run. There may be a market for something like that, but I don't know anyone personally that would buy one.

saferunapp

Nothing to buy Smile It would be offered for free

NHLA

Most of the trails I run cell phones don't work and you lose GPS signal so it wouldn't help.

In that case, it's awesome!

Feeling the growl again

Most of the trails I run cell phones don't work and you lose GPS signal so it wouldn't help.

Given how sucky cell phone GPS is compared to a dedicated GPS device, this is an important app design consideration.  When it loses GPS signal, does the app assume you have stopped moving and start pinging you to check in (annoying), or does it assume you are still moving (sucks if you bonked your head and rolled into a ditch in the woods).

Also to consider would be how much leeway there is in it deciding you are stationary, as the plotting point will wander to some degree with error.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

saferunapp

In that case, it's awesome!

Thanks!

saferunapp

Thank you for the feedback

saferunapp

Given how sucky cell phone GPS is compared to a dedicated GPS device, this is an important app design consideration.  When it loses GPS signal, does the app assume you have stopped moving and start pinging you to check in (annoying), or does it assume you are still moving (sucks if you bonked your head and rolled into a ditch in the woods).

Also to consider would be how much leeway there is in it deciding you are stationary, as the plotting point will wander to some degree with error.

This is something we are aware of and will be testing out in the field to come up with the best possible solution. Thank you for your feedback.

NHLA

Even the dedicated GPS don't work here unless you climb to the top of the Mt. or find a clearing.

GeoDiscovey Geode is a cool GPS because when it looses sat. it will estimate where you are by speed and direction. The triangle turns into a circle. When it gets a signal it corrects. Unless you change directions its close. At least you have some idea of where you are.

saferunapp

Even the dedicated GPS don't work here unless you climb to the top of the Mt. or find a clearing.

GeoDiscovey Geode is a cool GPS because when it looses sat. it will estimate where you are by speed and direction. The triangle turns into a circle. When it gets a signal it corrects. Unless you change directions its close. At least you have some idea of where you are.

Thanks! That's a great point. We could make it like that. So if the signal is lost, it would estimate where you are by speed and direction, until the signal was regained.

kk_kittenkat

Nothing to buy Smile It would be offered for free

Could it include any medical problems the runner might have?