2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Goo!

TO, thanks for the clarification.  I heard someone saying it was 40-70mph gusts from the official website, but that makes more sense.  I am sure the 45mph gusts came in at the bridge.  I felt it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Crowds: others have said it was not quite as good as previous years, but as a first-timer, I found it amazing. I'd like to say a big thank you to all those spactators who make it such a fantastic event. Brooklyn crowds were great, except for Williamsburg Hasidic quarter - totally deserted. Then coming off the Queensboro Bridge was like walking out in a packed stadium - amazing. 5th Avenue, Central PArk was a little quieter than I expected, though

Conditions: I did not get the impression that the wind affected my race, but maybe it did without me realizing it

My race: I headed out a little too quick, and the wheels fell off once I was on Fifth Avenue. Was on pace for 3:56 at mile 20/21, but finished 4:04:47. LAst three miles were 10.30, 11.00, 11.10 or something like that. When we turned off 5th Ave into Central Park, I so wanted to walk. But just told myself that if I walked, I didn't deserve the medal. Even with 400m to go, I wanted to stop, but managed to continue "running" until the end. As someone else said, it is really frustrating when you realize that you are not going to make your pace goal, that it is slipping through your fingers, and there's nothing you can do about it. But I am proud that I managed to run all the way despite being completely empty, and I will just have to be smarter next time with my pacing. But it is so damned difficult to slow down with those crowds....

Course: I was ok in the hills, but probably running them too quickly (I always attack hills) contributed to my downfall. But what surprised me was how much my quads hurt: the downhill around the MOMA in Central Park was agony. Note to self: practice running downhill

Recovery: Avoid stairs on Monday and Tuesday. feeling better Wednesday, and 4 mile run on Thursday am, feeling a lot better. Rest on Friday and two 4/5 mile runs programmed for this weekend

What a great event - just gives me the blues a little to know that this is about as good as it gets, and everything after this will compare badly. But each event has its own intrinsic beauty and charm, and the pleasure of running is eternal

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Crowds: others have said it was not quite as good as previous years, but as a first-timer, I found it amazing. I'd like to say a big thank you to all those spactators who make it such a fantastic event. Brooklyn crowds were great, except for Williamsburg Hasidic quarter - totally deserted. Then coming off the Queensboro Bridge was like walking out in a packed stadium - amazing. 5th Avenue, Central PArk was a little quieter than I expected, though

Conditions: I did not get the impression that the wind affected my race, but maybe it did without me realizing it

My race: I headed out a little too quick, and the wheels fell off once I was on Fifth Avenue. Was on pace for 3:56 at mile 20/21, but finished 4:04:47. LAst three miles were 10.30, 11.00, 11.10 or something like that. When we turned off 5th Ave into Central Park, I so wanted to walk. But just told myself that if I walked, I didn't deserve the medal. Even with 400m to go, I wanted to stop, but managed to continue "running" until the end. As someone else said, it is really frustrating when you realize that you are not going to make your pace goal, that it is slipping through your fingers, and there's nothing you can do about it. But I am proud that I managed to run all the way despite being completely empty, and I will just have to be smarter next time with my pacing. But it is so damned difficult to slow down with those crowds....

Course: I was ok in the hills, but probably running them too quickly (I always attack hills) contributed to my downfall. But what surprised me was how much my quads hurt: the downhill around the MOMA in Central Park was agony. Note to self: practice running downhill

Recovery: Avoid stairs on Monday and Tuesday. feeling better Wednesday, and 4 mile run on Thursday am, feeling a lot better. Rest on Friday and two 4/5 mile runs programmed for this weekend

What a great event - just gives me the blues a little to know that this is about as good as it gets, and everything after this will compare badly. But each event has its own intrinsic beauty and charm, and the pleasure of running is eternal

Congrats, Two-Foot!  It's such a temptation to give up once you know you're going to miss your goal, but you kept going.

I like your last sentence, too. Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just need to brag that I ran a NYCM qualifier half three days ago. Hope to see you folks in 2015! Smile

ultramarathon/triathlete

Nice work LedLincoln, see you in 2015!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice work LedLincoln, see you in 2015!

If you choose to pace 3:40 next year, we could spend a few hours together. Smile

ultramarathon/triathlete

If you choose to pace 3:40 next year, we could spend a few hours together. Smile

Funny, they did ask me what I wanted to pace next year and I said somewhere between 3:25 and 3:45.  So we shall see!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Funny, they did ask me what I wanted to pace next year and I said somewhere between 3:25 and 3:45.  So we shall see!

Excellent!