2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Docket_Rocket

I read all post. Good stuff people, only a few weeks to go.

A bit about running by feel. I think you need some experience to do it well, but that is how everybody ran not that long ago. I still run with just a simple watch which takes splits. It has HR monitor option, but I've never used it. Saying that,  I always check my HR when I'm done, to monitor how fast it drops (still one of the best indicators of your running fitness).

It's a good practice to guess your paces when you are training. I can always tell my pace per mile/kilometre within +/- a few seconds. If you don't have this ability yet, it might be a safer bet to use a pace band, especially in a marathon. Well run marathon should feel like you are just jogging at an easy pace for at least the first half. I think that using HR monitor gives you a better feedback than trying to stick to some arbitrary pace, which might or might not be right on that specific day.  I'm all for trying it in shorter races, but it could be risky in a marathon.

I wish I could run by feel.  But for me, I feel the same whether 11mm or 7mm.  One would give me an asthma attack, one would not, so I use the HR to guide me before I go oh, oh.

All my PR marathons have been by HR.  It works for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

I read all post. Good stuff people, only a few weeks to go.

A bit about running by feel. I think you need some experience to do it well, but that is how everybody ran not that long ago. I still run with just a simple watch which takes splits. It has HR monitor option, but I've never used it. Saying that,  I always check my HR when I'm done, to monitor how fast it drops (still one of the best indicators of your running fitness).

It's a good practice to guess your paces when you are training. I can always tell my pace per mile/kilometre within +/- a few seconds. If you don't have this ability yet, it might be a safer bet to use a pace band, especially in a marathon. Well run marathon should feel like you are just jogging at an easy pace for at least the first half. I think that using HR monitor gives you a better feedback than trying to stick to some arbitrary pace, which might or might not be right on that specific day.  I'm all for trying it in shorter races, but it could be risky in a marathon.

Good points.  In the days before all the fancy gadgets, this is pretty much how runners ran, isn't it?  Smile

And, MP can be a very arbitrary number.  I was going to write something about running by feel being risky if you have a specific time goal in mind.  But then I thought, maybe it's only risky because that time goal isn't realistic.  But, "easy" can be a deceptive pace.  I lie to myself all the time about how hard I'm working on a run.

I'll add I think it was a little more enjoyable to run my feel.  Mostly because I didn't crash and burn.  Smile  But, split obsessing can be mentally exhausting.  Letting that go, freed up a lot of mental energy.

Julia1971

Training update: For the first time, ever, I hit sub-8:00 pace on a non-tempo, long or medium run.  Smile  It was not easy by any means, but at the half way mark, I saw I was close and went for it.  (Unfortunately, the half way mark was also the start of the hilly portion of the run so my quads are less happy about this accomplishment).

As I mentioned back on page 1 or 2, my goal race is actually MCM, so I'm at the one month away mark.  Very exciting!  I'm running my peak mileage week next week and my last tune-up race the next Sunday.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Training update: For the first time, ever, I hit sub-8:00 pace on a non-tempo, long or medium run.  Smile  It was not easy by any means, but at the half way mark, I saw I was close and went for it.  (Unfortunately, the half way mark was also the start of the hilly portion of the run so my quads are less happy about this accomplishment).

As I mentioned back on page 1 or 2, my goal race is actually MCM, so I'm at the one month away mark.  Very exciting!  I'm running my peak mileage week next week and my last tune-up race the next Sunday.

Awesome! That must feel good to be cruising along nice and easy and realize you are at sub 8.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

Good points.  In the days before all the fancy gadgets, this is pretty much how runners ran, isn't it?  Smile

And, MP can be a very arbitrary number.  I was going to write something about running by feel being risky if you have a specific time goal in mind.  But then I thought, maybe it's only risky because that time goal isn't realistic.  But, "easy" can be a deceptive pace.  I lie to myself all the time about how hard I'm working on a run.

I'll add I think it was a little more enjoyable to run my feel.  Mostly because I didn't crash and burn.  Smile  But, split obsessing can be mentally exhausting.  Letting that go, freed up a lot of mental energy.

I find this to be true.  Which is why I like the HR racing too.  It takes the pressure away.  If my body is ready on race day, I'll meet my goal.  If not, my HR is telling me not to push.  I am OK with that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I find this to be true.  Which is why I like the HR racing too.  It takes the pressure away.  If my body is ready on race day, I'll meet my goal.  If not, my HR is telling me not to push.  I am OK with that.

Somehow I missed all the posts responding to the racing by feel til now. I've considered going by HR as well, as I do always have my HR monitor in all my training runs, and I'll have it during the marathon as well. The only issue with that, is that I find my HR gets pretty high in the early stages of a marathon from all the adrenaline even though I may be feeling good. I've even noticed that when I am running along at a nice and easy pace and my HR may be in the low 130s and then I just start thinking of racing, I look down and see it has gone up into the 140s.

Goorun makes a good point about the length of a marathon and how that might be risky, especially since I've only run 3 marathons before. Maybe I could check my watch every few miles to make sure I'm not going too fast, but try not to be a slave to it and check constantly like I have in the past.

Just to add one more thing. Since I'm using this Hansons plan, I end up doing quite a bit of marathon pace running. The last two pace runs I did, I did not look at my watch so I could start getting a feel for it, and I think I've been doing a fairly good job. But I am afraid that on race day the adrenaline and excitement of the race will hit, and I'll think I'm taking it easy when I'm actually doing MP - 20. Man I'm getting so excited for this now!!! Smile

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Had a nice 10 miler at lunch today.  Windier than I expected and slower too!  My calves are KILLING me now.  I guess I wasn't nearly recovered from my race last weekend!  NYRR emailed me and I'm officially locked in to pace the 4:15 group.  I'm also the 1:30 pacer at the Grete Half if anyone is doing that one.

Also, I tried to post this earlier but my internet was bad so I don't think it got posted but my club, along with the NY Running Company, is hosting a Last 10 Miles run on Oct 19th.  This one cost $15 and includes baggage transportation to and from and also breakfast and a bunch of other goodies (backpack/water bottle for first 50 to register).  So, if you're interested, check the link below.  I'm not sure if I'll be one of the coaches at this run (my parents might be in town) but I'm gonna try to be there.

Details on the run here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/<wbr>last-10-miles-marathon-<wbr>training-run-with-empire-tri-<wbr>club-ny-running-co-tickets-<wbr>13312765841

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Goorun

Nice!  I would love to do Tokyo.  I think that's my only major (except Boston) left to do.

Tokyo is a lottery. There were 35000 spots available and they said on their website that 305000 people applied.

I'm surprised I got in on those odds, but they don't say how the lottery works. I know some races give preferential treatment to faster runners or runners who would be top in AGs. Either way, I'm happy to be in.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Docket_Rocket

Tokyo is a lottery. There were 35000 spots available and they said on their website that 305000 people applied.

I'm surprised I got in on those odds, but they don't say how the lottery works. I know some races give preferential treatment to faster runners or runners who would be top in AGs. Either way, I'm happy to be in.

From what I have heard, this is the only lottery that prefers international runners so maybe we have a better chance?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Goorun

From what I have heard, this is the only lottery that prefers international runners so maybe we have a better chance?

That could be it.

andyashton

Calf strain is keeping me from running the first of two planned 20 mile runs this weekend (2nd is planned for three weeks out from race day).  Trying to be smart and rest it so I can finish training strong and taper healthy, but man this stinks.  Thankful to married to a massage therapist! Smile

Docket_Rocket

I cannot believe we booked this early.  We are booked!  And it was not as expensive as last year.

Ran 20 with the last 10 @ MP + 10% as my last LR before Chicago.  I am glad to be tapering.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Andy, Sorry to hear about your calf strain.  Very frustrating.  But, you're smart to have married a massage therapist.  Hope it helps.

D_R, I still haven't booked anything.  LOL!  I wasn't joking.  It'll take me until October to focus on this.

Goo, Congrats on getting in to Tokyo.  I've been thinking I might want to do another major.  I've been thinking Berlin since I've never been to Germany, but I'd be curious to see what you think of Tokyo.

I finished my 22 miler today.  It's about the same pace I ran my 22 miler last training cycle so it's another indicator that I'm probably closer to sub-3:25 shape for MCM than sub-3:20.  I have a half marathon next weekend and will lock in my goal after that...  Still no goal for NYCM.  I would be wise not to set one, but, that's really not in my nature.  My friend mentioned a bakery at some point in the course that puts out a table of delicious pastries.  I definitely want to stop at that table.  So, I suppose I do have one goal. 

Docket_Rocket

Andy, Sorry to hear about your calf strain.  Very frustrating.  But, you're smart to have married a massage therapist.  Hope it helps.

D_R, I still haven't booked anything.  LOL!  I wasn't joking.  It'll take me until October to focus on this.

Goo, Congrats on getting in to Tokyo.  I've been thinking I might want to do another major.  I've been thinking Berlin since I've never been to Germany, but I'd be curious to see what you think of Tokyo.

I finished my 22 miler today.  It's about the same pace I ran my 22 miler last training cycle so it's another indicator that I'm probably closer to sub-3:25 shape for MCM than sub-3:20.  I have a half marathon next weekend and will lock in my goal after that...  Still no goal for NYCM.  I would be wise not to set one, but, that's really not in my nature.  My friend mentioned a bakery at some point in the course that puts out a table of delicious pastries.  I definitely want to stop at that table.  So, I suppose I do have one goal. 

Hope you don't stop for the donut holes during MCM.  But they are delicious!  Not that I have stopped there every year I have run it or anything. 

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Goorun

Calf strain is keeping me from running the first of two planned 20 mile runs this weekend (2nd is planned for three weeks out from race day).  Trying to be smart and rest it so I can finish training strong and taper healthy, but man this stinks.  Thankful to married to a massage therapist! Smile

That part is great. Cost me $100 for 1 hour with my massage guy (there are people who are cheaper, but he is awesome).

I'm in the same boat as far as injury. No chance I'll be in 2:50 shape, probably not even in sub 3 shape. I need to get healthy and concentrate on Tokyo and Boston. Maybe I just run NYC with Julia and we eat all delicious pastries.

I love travelling and have been all over the world, but never in Japan. Looking forward to the trip. I grew up in Europe and been in Germany many, many times (my mom is German), but never ran Berlin. Damaris (Docket_Rocket) did, so she would have some inside on that race.

dbilenkin: your training is going well. I would not risk to experiment on the race day. Stick to what you know, even pick a pacer if there is one close to your goal and stick with them for at least the first half. You are right that the excitement/adrenalin at the start of the race could through a wrench into your plan.

Mendeldave: 1:30 pacer for a half. Wow. That is some good running. I don't think I've ever seen a pacer for such a fast pace. usually they start 1:40 or 1:45.