training after broken toe (Read 495 times)

julesvox

I'm training for an Oct. marathon and ran my first 16-miler with no pain, and then I broke my middle toe walking across my bedroom and tripping. Oy! The doctor says to keep it taped and not run for at least 3 weeks. I've been following the Galloway program (short runs 2-3x/week, long runs on weekends) and as I don't have a gym membership at the moment I won't be able to do much crosstraining. Any suggestions for getting back in the saddle w/ long runs would be much appreciated - I know I can't pretend like I just didn't take 3 weeks off, but am wondering what my first long run should be. Thanks!

Wobblebottom

swim swim swim!

Wobblebottom

or cycle?
        julesvox

totally on board with cycling & swimming...just don't know what my target long run should be when i start back up again...
            Maybe you should think about getting back in the saddle without the Long Run right away. A newly healed broken toe could be prone to stress fracture if you jump into a 2 hour run after 3 weeks off,, not knowing anymore about your history. Thats probably an overstatement, but October is a ways off,, I would start my comeback with 2 weeks of solid medium distance stuff. From that, I'll bet you will have a better feel (than anyone on the forum) where to pick up the Long Runs. Good Luck
            julesvox

thanks a lot for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. appreciated!