Cherry Blossom 10 miler 2016 (Read 248 times)

I look my best blurry!

I just registered and I'm looking for partners in crime or some tips.  I originally signed up for the lottery with a group but the group didn't get in.  Somehow I ended up getting in on my own, which is still a bit confusing to me.  I am doing I hate to miss the opportunity so I'm going it alone.  What the heck. I need a tune up race for Boston so this is it!  Is anyone else going? Any tips?

Kristen

SMART Approach

Welcome back Kristin!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Julia1971

Congrats on getting in!  (Could it be that you got in as a seeded runner but your friend didn't?).

I'm registered for it, too, but wouldn't be surprised if I decide it's too close to Boston and decide not to run it.  It'll depend on whether I feel like I need another long run that weekend.

Here are some tips:

• For a race that isn't a marathon, the expo is pretty good.  Plus, the National Building Museum is gorgeous.  Make time to stay a while if you can.
        • If you're at all unfamiliar with the city, take Metro.  There will be lots of street closures and parking restrictions so avoid the stress.  I would aim to be at The Mall no later than a half hour before race start.  It's a good quarter to half mile walk from Smithsonian station to the start, so factor in that time.
        • Get to the corral a little earlier than you might otherwise.  When you walk past it toward bag check, it'll look completely empty.  But the corrals aren't very wide and you'll be packed in like a sardine.  I would say 10-15 minutes before the start is fine.
        • Listen to the announcements.  Last year, the race was rerouted and a lot of people didn't hear and were confused.
        • During the race, the first few miles - 2 or 3? - will be a little crowded even for the seeded runners.  It will thin out so don't panic.
        • Watch for uneven pavement on Memorial Bridge and around the Kennedy Center.  Heck, actually, the road is pretty ripped up everywhere.  Particularly if you're running on the shoulders.
        • The best cheering will be midway through the race after you pass the MLK Memorial, so get ready for it.  And, the next few miles are kinda unremarkable except for the Jefferson Memorial so enjoy it.
        • If the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom, make sure you save the mental energy to soak up the view on the back side of Hains Point.  It's absolutely beautiful running under the canopy of blossoms.  This is also where the photography people take photos, so smile for the cameras.
        • Just after you leave Hains Point and before the finish - maybe mile 9.5 - there's an uphill.  For someone who runs hills a lot, it's not terrible.  And, the crowds are there to cheer you on.  But, don't get overly excited when you hit mile 9 because you're not done working yet.
        • After that hill, it's a downhill to the finish.  Kick hard!
        • Post-race, if you checked a bag, go there IMMEDIATELY.  Once the hoards start finishing, the line could get very long.
        • If you took Metro, the platforms and trains will be very crowded after the race.  Just exercise some patience.

Have a great race!  Let me know if you have any specific questions/concerns.

I look my best blurry!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!  TChuck and Julia!  I am doing it as a tune-up for Boston.  It is a little close but it should be fun.  I won't go all out the entire distance so it should be fine.  Racing before always scares me because of my history anyway.  I unfortunately won't get to town until Sat around 3 because I am volunteering at another race.  I might stay until Monday or even Tuesday.  I have a long lost cousin there that I am hoping to stay with because he lives nearby.  I'm looking forward to it!  I hope you come too!

Julia1971

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!  TChuck and Julia!  I am doing it as a tune-up for Boston.  It is a little close but it should be fun.  I won't go all out the entire distance so it should be fine.  Racing before always scares me because of my history anyway.  I unfortunately won't get to town until Sat around 3 because I am volunteering at another race.  I might stay until Monday or even Tuesday.  I have a long lost cousin there that I am hoping to stay with because he lives nearby.  I'm looking forward to it!  I hope you come too!

It's a fun race.  I think you'll enjoy it.

I'll probably race all out since it looks like I'll be the only old lady score for my club team's mixed masters team.  Smile  I'll plan to run long on Monday.  Last year, the weather was near perfect and the blossoms were out.  I wasn't racing it all out so I stopped (AND got off the course) to take a picture:

ymmv

Here's my take on the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler:

- the best corral placement and race management of any race I have seen. They do a great job seeding and limiting corral access so even in the crowded beginning, you will be running with people who are near your pace. Metro access (Smithsonian station) is easy, course is flat, beautiful, fast...

- the worst expo experience of any race I have been to. A couple of years ago they eliminated race-day pickup (which was soooo easy) and made you go to the expo. The National Building Museum is beautiful, but you wait in line forever just to get inside, then again forever to get your bib, then again forever to get your shirt. They make sure you have to walk though the vendor area, which is nothing compared to say MCM. The CB10 is a really big race, and I think they could do a lot better with the expo, like making it optional.

If you like the course, there is a Navy/Air Force Half Marathon in the fall that uses the same course (+5K on Beach Drive). No cherry blossoms, but it would probably be your PR course for a Half.

I thought of some more stuff:

Metro to the Expo: Last time, I took off work and went on a Friday so that the lines were only 'forever' and not 'forever and a day', like on Saturday. I don't think there was an obvious best-metro stop for me to go to the expo. The close ones required 2 train changes, so I got off at Federal Center and walked the few blocks north (across the Mall, past the Capitol, etc) to the National Building Museum. I did that so that on my return, I could grab lunch at the National Museum of the American Indian, which has (I think) the best food of any of the Smithsonian buildings.

After the race, I grabbed my stuff, hung out for a little while, then walked back to the completely un-crowded Smithsonian Metro. My fastest time is a little less than 1:20, so you will likely be finished a lot earlier and see even smaller crowds on your return unless you opt to hang out a lot longer after the race.

Julia1971

Here's my take on the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler:

- the best corral placement and race management of any race I have seen. They do a great job seeding and limiting corral access so even in the crowded beginning, you will be running with people who are near your pace. Metro access (Smithsonian station) is easy, course is flat, beautiful, fast...

- the worst expo experience of any race I have been to. A couple of years ago they eliminated race-day pickup (which was soooo easy) and made you go to the expo. The National Building Museum is beautiful, but you wait in line forever just to get inside, then again forever to get your bib, then again forever to get your shirt. They make sure you have to walk though the vendor area, which is nothing compared to say MCM. The CB10 is a really big race, and I think they could do a lot better with the expo, like making it optional.

If you like the course, there is a Navy/Air Force Half Marathon in the fall that uses the same course (+5K on Beach Drive). No cherry blossoms, but it would probably be your PR course for a Half.

I thought of some more stuff:

Metro to the Expo: Last time, I took off work and went on a Friday so that the lines were only 'forever' and not 'forever and a day', like on Saturday. I don't think there was an obvious best-metro stop for me to go to the expo. The close ones required 2 train changes, so I got off at Federal Center and walked the few blocks north (across the Mall, past the Capitol, etc) to the National Building Museum. I did that so that on my return, I could grab lunch at the National Museum of the American Indian, which has (I think) the best food of any of the Smithsonian buildings.

After the race, I grabbed my stuff, hung out for a little while, then walked back to the completely un-crowded Smithsonian Metro. My fastest time is a little less than 1:20, so you will likely be finished a lot earlier and see even smaller crowds on your return unless you opt to hang out a lot longer after the race.

+1.

I experienced the ridiculous super long line a few years ago but it's been smooth sailing for me the last two or three years.  (I tend to go late morning/early afternoon on Saturday.)

I look my best blurry!

I got a hotel .5 mi from the start line for free and plans to see my cousin.   Woot!  So at least I should be able to get to and from the race without a delay.  I hope the Expo won't be too crazy but I will expect the worst and just chill about it.  Thanks for the heads up.  I really have no goal as of yet.  No stress.  Just running.

Julia1971

The National Park Service is predicting the peak bloom for Washington’s cherry blossom trees between March 31 and April 3. - WTOP 

I look my best blurry!

Great news!  I'm getting excited!

Julia1971

Unfortunately, peak bloom has been moved up by two weeks. Sad  (Sorry/not sorry since it means I'm running in shorts 'til Boston!)

Julia1971

Meb's running!  Hopefully, he decides to hobby jog it at about 7:20 pace.  Smile

runlikeagirI

I wonder if he'll do something like what he did at the Peachtree Road Race a couple of years ago - he started last, and for every person he passed during the race a donation was made to a charity that gets kids involved in running.

Meb's running!  Hopefully, he decides to hobby jog it at about 7:20 pace.  Smile

Dahlberg

How do I know which starting corral I will be starting in? I can not remember that I had the opportunity to enter any target time. If I have not specified a target time will I be placed in the last corral?
                              Dahlberg

Okay, I received a reply of the organizers. Apparently, I had specified an estimated finishing time. Bib numbers and the final information ( which includes information on corral) has not been sent out yet, but is coming any day.