Disappointing Half-Marathon Time - need advice (Read 131 times)

cher100

I just completed a half-marathon on Sunday with a time of 1:53:55.  My PB is 1:51:30, which I ran in October last year.  I trained with a running group where we do some speed work and tempo runs once a week during training period.  I go to orange theory fitness twice a week (some treadmill interval training, strength training and rowing). In addition to running group, I did some easy runs about once or twice a week and a long run once a week (usually 1.5 to 2 hours long). For cross-training I cycle with my boyfriend regularly.  I think my weekly mileage during training was around 30 - 40 km (not counting orange theory and cycling). I was aiming for a 1:49 finish so very disappointed. I have been considering whether : 1. I should drop orange theory and just focus on more outdoor mileage? 2. Getting an online running coach 3. Increasing weekly mileage?

I cant seem to get below 1:50 - so frustrating! As background:  I am 42 year old woman, have been running for about 5 years off and on (more focussed last couple of years). I am not overweight (5’9” and 142) but thinking I could lose 5-10 pounds to shave off time.  I have another half-marathon scheduled for October. Any advice?  Thank you!!!!

cher100

I just completed a half-marathon on Sunday with a time of 1:53:55.  My PB is 1:51:30, which I ran in October last year.  I trained with a running group where we did some speed work and tempo runs once a week during training period.  I go to orange theory fitness twice a week (some treadmill interval training, strength training and rowing). In addition to running group, I did some easy runs about once or twice a week and a long run once a week (usually 1.5 to 2 hours long). For cross-training I cycle with my boyfriend regularly.  I think my weekly mileage during training was around 30 - 40 km (not counting orange theory and cycling). I was aiming for a 1:49 finish so very disappointed. I have been considering whether : 1. I should drop orange theory and just focus on more outdoor mileage? 2. Getting an online running coach 3. Increasing weekly mileage?

I cant seem to get below 1:50 - so frustrating! As background:  I am 42 year old woman, have been running for about 5 years off and on (more focussed last couple of years). I am not overweight (5’9” and 142) but thinking I could lose 5-10 pounds to shave off time.  I have another half-marathon scheduled for October. Any advice?  Thank you!!!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think my weekly mileage during training was around 30 - 40 km (not counting orange theory and cycling). I was aiming for a 1:49 finish so very disappointed. I have been considering whether : 1. I should drop orange theory and just focus on more outdoor mileage? 2. Getting an online running coach 3. Increasing weekly mileage?

That mileage level is probably the limiting factor.  Adding more miles should help significantly.  Whether you drop orange theory is a personal decision. Do you have the time and energy to continue and still increase mileage?  A good coach can help in more ways than just putting together training schedule, but the good ones can be pricey.  And one the the main things they would do is have you increase your mileage.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

While I'm jealous of your speed, I have a question about your mileage. 18 to 24 miles per week does put you at the low end for training miles. What sort of mileage are you doing for your long run? The long run is a key part of training, but it's not the only part and shouldn't be the bulk of your training.

If you are logging your workouts on RA, consider making your log public so people can see what you are doing. An informed view is going to give you better answers.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If you are logging your workouts on RA, consider making your log public so people can see what you are doing. An informed view is going to give you better answers.

+ 1

Use the race predictor calculator to check your predicted finish time.. Put in the 10k time to see what your HF time will look like.

10 k---48:50 = 1:49:17

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Your half time is pretty good considering the low mileage. Adding more overall mileage (and being consistent thoughout the year) will make a big difference. I would also focus more on longer tempo runs and cut back on the interval training. Losing a few pounds will also help shave off time. I’m sure you can get under 1:50 on your own rather than waste money on an online coach.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

runnin gal

As someone who has been guilty of too much activity and too little rest, I'm wondering if you're giving yourself enough recovery time along with all the activity. Sometimes less is more!  One other thought is that we often want to think a PB is the new norm, when it happened to be a day when everything lined up just right. Every race will not be faster than the one before. Your goal time will come, just maybe not as quickly as you want! Enjoy your good health and cut yourself a little slack.

SMART Approach

Firstly, did you race smart?  There is strategy to racing. Did weather or warmth play a part in race? You are not far off.

- Add 5-10 miles per week

- Lose 5 lbs if you need to

- One day per week run in place of going to Orange Theory

- Train smarter. Only you can decide how important this is to you and if a coach is a waste of time.

Evaluate your plan. A smart racing strategy and smart training plan should get you there soon. PM me and I will send you my G.A.I.T. Half Marathon Plan and training approach if you want some direction and structure-no charge I promise.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Firstly, did you race smart?  There is strategy to racing.  You are not far off.

I think you might have started at that 1:49 pace or faster and faded pretty badly late in the race, considering your relatively low mileage for a Half marathon.  If you increase your mileage a bit, maybe a mile to each of your daily runs and 2-3 miles to your long run, and race smart, i.e. run some shorter races and figure out your half marathon potential, start a bit slower than that pace, you will get that sub 1:50 easily.

kilkee

runktrun

From your description of your training, it sounds like you have a pretty good foundation, but I agree with others that your overall mileage may be too low to get you to the next level in your half, plus the extra cross training may be detracting from your run-specific training.  Everyone is different, but I personally do not benefit from added cross training.  If I bike, I turn into a cyclist, not a runner.

If I were you, I would cut back on the cross training (drop a cycling session or orange theory session each week) and substitute in another easy run.  Also take a look at the paces that you are running in your run group workouts.  You'll want to hit a mix of paces - short reps much faster than half pace (like 5k pace for 1:00-3:00), easy runs that are truly easy(!!), and some medium length tempos where you practice running your goal 13.1 pace.

And I would strongly caution against trying to lose weight while training.  Put in the miles and your weight will settle.  Otherwise, you run the risk of sabotaging your training by trying to train hard with a calorie deficit.  Yes, there is a strong correlation between weight and long distance performance, but it's a smaller factor and carries the risk of being under-fueled or getting injured.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

cher100

I think you might have started at that 1:49 pace or faster and faded pretty badly late in the race, considering your relatively low mileage for a Half marathon.  If you increase your mileage a bit, maybe a mile to each of your daily runs and 2-3 miles to your long run, and race smart, i.e. run some shorter races and figure out your half marathon potential, start a bit slower than that pace, you will get that sub 1:50 easily.

Yes - you are correct - I was running at a perfect 1:49 pace, feeling great for the first 10 km and thinking "I can keep this pace until the end no problem' and then I suddenly started to fade.

Thank you everyone for the helpful comments - this is all exactly the info I was looking for.

2. Getting an online running coach 3. Increasing weekly mileage?

2. I had extreme success with a friend who coached me remotely.  If you are considering online coaching, I would reach out to Team Schneider.

3. I strong agree with those who recommend raising your mileage.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I wouldn't focus on weight loss, aside from trying to make healthy choices, and that should naturally happen.

If you do increase your mileage, other activities may have to take a back seat.

good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

berylrunner

Rick

Don't be too hard on yourself.   You are close to your goal.  I say keep doing what you are doing with the cross training.   Add some mileage with a few more weekly runs and try some doubles.  On your long runs add some strides and try a few faster finish runs.  That gets you used to maintaining turnover when you are tired.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

To put this into perspective: I think I'd almost be willing to kill someone or sell my first born if I could do a 1:53:55 in a half.