Generic Prescript. costs = Name Brand...huh? (Read 1195 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Spaniel got a big part of it.  The thing that many don't realize is that the first generic to market, taking advantage of the 6 month exclusivity, is often manufactured by a generic company owned by the brand name company.  The price for the first generic for any brand is frequently no more than 10% less than the brand.  Your insurance company knows this and the (still) high cost of the drug gets passed onto you as a tier three copay.  Wait 6 to 9 months and the pricing will get better.  If you care to name the drug I can give you more details.

I suspect you are right about this, since the "generic" I just picked up is EXACTLY the same right down to the printing on the pills.  The only difference is the label on the previous bottle says Concerta ER, the new one is Methylphenidate ER...hmmm...  He's only been on this med for one month prior to this refill.  Is it possible that the last bottle was also generic? Confused I've never before seen a generic med that looks exactly like its namebrand counterpart...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm just a regular guy who pulls his socks over his pants one leg at a time, just like anyone else.

"Except he pulls his socks up over legs that can run a mile in three minutes and forty-nine seconds."

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

In what way ?

The government.  Giant corporations that post high profit margins.  A regulatory agency.  Market interference.  And lawyers.

How much more evil do you need?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The government.  Giant corporations that post high profit margins.  A regulatory agency.  Market interference.  And lawyers.

How much more evil do you need?

Doctors receiving kick-backs, pens, post-its, etc. from drug companies to push their specific products...but you wouldn't do that, right, Trent? Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, no I do not.  And while I have been avoiding that stuff my entire career, the place where I work now bans it outright.  So no, I do not.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Actually, no I do not.  And while I have been avoiding that stuff my entire career, the place where I work now bans it outright.  So no, I do not.

I'm glad to hear that.  I have not really seen much sign of drug promotion at Dane's ped., either...but that is not the case with a lot of practices, unfortunately.  When my FIL was undergoing cancer treatments my MIL was always bringing us stacks of post-it-notes that the various docs he saw would load her with.  It was strange, I thought.

Come to think of it, I haven't noticed much in the way of drug rep stuff at my PCP's office, either.  I did notice a lot at the OB's office when I was pregnant. 

~ Sarah Kay

Oh roo roooo!

The health care system I work for also banned employees from accepting pens, post-its, etc., from drug reps.  However, when I was working in-house (as opposed to from home, my normal setup) a year and a half ago due to a job change, it seemed that every Wednesday lunch for the entire clinic was bought by the drug reps in the form of various catered setups (Qdoba, Applebee's, etc.).  Now it seems that there is a big push being made to stop the use of "samples" of drugs.  This was first mentioned over a year ago, but now there is an actual timeline, culminating in there being no samples either accepted from drug reps or given to patients as of August 1st.

I am about halfway thru "Generation Rx" by Greg Critser.  It's kind of slow going, but simply amazing to me to see how the drug biz has changed over the years...a lot of unsavory stuff revealed.  Interesting read so far, tho.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, to be clear, I beleive that reps are not even allowed to set foot onsite.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, to be clear, I beleive that reps are not even allowed to set foot onsite.

That's a good policy.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

I used to be in pharma sales and now do orthopaedic device sales. The laws are same for both. The industry (AdvaMed Code Of Ethics) does not allow us to do pens, paper, gifts etc. for a couple years now. These are all considered gifts that "supposedly" can entice a doc to use your products.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

In a case like a governmental ban on a propellant in a medication, the gov. should have prevented anyone from profiting from a new patent to an existing drug, simply because the propellant had to be changed.  

If the government was going to mandate a change in the formulation, but mandate a generic-type price, who is going to pay a company for developing and validating the new formulation? 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Doctors receiving kick-backs, pens, post-its, etc. from drug companies to push their specific products...but you wouldn't do that, right, Trent? Wink

Even the pens and post-its have been gone entirely for several years (except by a few smaller companies who refused to play ball with an industry-wide agreement).  If your doc is really influenced by such things I would have concerned.  Most academic institutions like Trent's have had excluding policies for much longer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

SMART Approach

The office staff is the most disappointed the gifts are no longer available. The docs don't see a lot of this stuff. I agree that if docs are influenced by a pen, then something is wrong. BUT, years ago before my time, if you take them to a football game (s), maybe that has impact?????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

BUT, years ago before my time, if you take them to a football game (s), maybe that has impact?????

I am glad those days are over.  I totally agree.  I would never have wanted to be associated with that in any way.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is plenty of research out there (that I don't have time today to pull) showing that across the board, healthcare providers are influenced by gifts of any sort, whether they be trips to Aruba or cheap pens that break after 2 scripts.  ALL people are influenced.