Reality Show "Reality" (Read 524 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

I like Top Chef and The Amazing Race but all those singing ones - meh. If I want to hear someone sing badly I'll listen to me when I'm alone in my car. Thankfully my speakers are good enough to drown me out.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

keeponrunning

My problem with that show is how do the people afford the taxes and such after the fact?  I mean, it's great that they get help in a time of need, but usually the houses are much more than most people need.  
      Then again, I can't really talk for the once a month or so I watch a tv show...

Extreme Home Makeover came in and took care of a deserving family in our small town a few years back.  One of my students' dad is a cabinet maker, and chipped in.  Oh, he had some great stories, the gist of which were, yes, it's pretty fake.

For instance, the guy that hosts it - Ty, I think his name is?  My student's dad said that they'd start work in the morning, and hours later, Ty would show up, get out of the car, literally bend down, grab some dirt and rub it on his jeans, someone would hand him a tool and they'd ask all the people who really were building the house to clear out so they could shoot some footage.  In one instance, the nail gun he (or maybe it was the woman, can't remember her name) was using didn't even have any nails in it.

That said, "fake" or not, the experience was very good for our community, logistical annoyances aside.  It was really cool to see all the businesses pulling together and everyone getting excited to help this family out.  And it is a pretty nice house.  I can see it from one of my running routes (though I don't go right in front of it).

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My problem with that show is how do the people afford the taxes and such after the fact?  I mean, it's great that they get help in a time of need, but usually the houses are much more than most people need.  
        Then again, I can't really talk for the once a month or so I watch a tv show...

Good question, and I remember some talk about that as it was happening.  Can't remember what they said, though.  I want to say people donated to help with that, but I may be making it up.

At any rate, they're still in the house and doing well, as far as I know.  And this was several years back.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

1958:  Quiz shows are found to be fake.  Scandal ensues, leading to Congressional hearings.

2013:  Reality shows are found to be fake.  America utters a collective, "meh, so what."

Not sure what to make of that.  In one way it's better, in another way, it's not.

Jeff