Benefit us all, please post. (Read 2047 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

SmileI though that it would be good to know just how everyone has imprved around the forums. Looking at other peoples’ logs I can see that there is a wide range of ability, and it would be great if everyone could try to contribute. Beneficial to everyone I think What I would like to know is how long you have been running for, your initial sort of pace for a tempo run, and your current pace for a tempo run. A rough outline of the amount of miles a week etc, will be good. This will enable us all to have something to compare and contrast with. I will start: Started: Nov 06 weighing 268lb, Minute mile pace approx 12 mins. I did 2 miles in just under 25 mins. Now: I weigh 219lb and average 8 mins/mile tempo: I did 5K race yesterday, in 23:17. I started off twice a week, averaging 4 miles, now I go 5times a week averaging 30-35. I look forward to your replies, will be motivating and inspirational to us all I believe. Smile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

dillydoodles

Eddy, your mileage, pace and weight has improved dramatically over a short period of time. Congratulations! Here is my long (and uninspiring) tale.... I had never been a runner, but have been an "off-an-on" exerciser for most of my life (54 years). Last Spring I started recording my daily calorie intake and walking 3-4 miles, three times a week. When walking got boring I switched to power-walking. By the summer I had lost 25 pounds and did not want to gain it back and, by then, power-walking had become boring. I began running in early July 2006, mainly following the Couch-to-5K program. I wanted to do the "Run for the Cure" 5K fun run in the Fall, and I wanted to run it, not walk it - so I was determined to learn how to run. Looking back I wish I had started running in the Spring when the weather was nice. It was hard for me, really hard, running in the heat and humidity, and I would get frustrated because I felt I could walk as fast as I could "run". I felt awkward and silly, like I was pretending to be an athlete, LOL! However, I persisted. During the first few weeks my pace was close to 14:00 min/mi. It gradually (very gradually) improved by a few seconds a week. By the end of the 9-week C25K program I was running 9-10 miles/week at an average of 12:30 min/mile. By October I was averaging 10-12 miles/week and occasionally my pace would be under 12:00 min/mi. I did the "Run for the Cure" 5K fun run on October 1st (and ran it ... slowly compared to many, by fast for me) ... 35:36 (11:28 min/mi). I had fun and raised some money for breast cancer to boot. Up until that point my runs were all done outdoors. We decided to buy a treadmill in the Fall and now that winter is here I find I'm doing a lot of my running indoors. I try to do at least one run outdoors every week. Admittedly, I’m a wimp about running on ice. Rain - OK, freezing rain - not so much. I have entered my first chip-timed 5K race, which will be on March 25. I'm running 4 times week. My "long run" is up to 7 miles and my schedule is to do about 16 miles/week until the race. Every fourth week I cut back to about 10 miles for a “rest week”. I have not done the 10% increase/week, as suggested by many books. I only increase my long run by about a ½ mile, and not every week. I’m being super cautious so I don’t get injured (and I have arthritis in my joints). The only "speedwork" I do is I’ve started to add some 100m striders to one of my easy runs each week. My pace has not improved by much and I'm not really concerned about that right now. When I run outdoors I average about 12:00 min/mile, which is faster than suggested by The McMillan Running Calculator, but seems to be my natural pace. Even when I consciously try to run slower than that, I seem to fall into that pace. Because of my age, on the recommendation of my doctor, I use a HR monitor and have had a treadmill stress test by a cardiologist. He gave me "rules" based on my maximum HR. Long Run 65% (Average HR 134); Easy Run 70% (Average HR 142); Moderate Run 75% (Average HR 148) ... and no real speedwork until after I've been running for a full year. [Anaerobic 76-88% (HR Rate 149-163); VO2 Max 88-100% (HR 164-180)] My husband, while not a runner, has been very supportive. He often comes with me when I do my longer runs outdoors, and he rides his bike (slowly) while I run. So… as far as improvement, I guess I'll find out when I enter my first real race two months from now. I want to do a few races a year, as a barometer, and for fun, not as a serious competitor. I know I'll never be a racer, but I'm beginning to feel like a runner. Perhaps not a die-hard, but I'm committed to a gradual increase in weekly mileage. My pace is what it is. I'd love to be faster, but as a new runner at 54 years old, I'm happy that I'm no longer just sitting on the couch, LOL! Have fun, and stay injury-free. (Sorry this is so long. "Concise" is not in my vocabulary) ~ Arlene

Now that was a bath...

Well I have been running almost 11 weeks (although I lost 11 days to injury). I have had to keep my mileage low because of the injury but I have averaged between 15 and 23 miles a week. From here on in it will be no less than 20 miles a week all going well. I have always run at least 5 times a week apart from the injury time and my weight has reduced from 155lbs to 148lbs. Week one I averaged 12:41 pace and I could run a 5K in 35:26 Week four I averaged 9:51 pace and I could run a 5k in 28:59 Week ten I averaged 9.08 pace and I can run a 5K in 24:36 Not bad for 10 weeks I think! The 5K times say it all! Claire xxx Good thread by the way. It's an interesting concept to see the improvement at all levels of performance. I look forward to reading all the posts.
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          Wow Eddy, great progress in such a short time! If my improvement went like that I'd be fastest woman on the planet. Smile Anyway, I started running about 6 years ago, I weighed around 112 and now I weigh around 118 (I didn't have much muscle before!) My first race was 10K and my goal was under an hour - I finished in 58 mins. So for a pretty long time my pace was around 10 minutes. I've been a pretty consistent runner since then, trained for and ran: 2 HMs : 1st was 1:55:53 , second was my PR 1:47 /8:13 pace. 2 marathons: first was 4:24:35, second was my PR 3:56:07/9:01 pace. 10K PR is 49:14 (7:57 pace) 5K PR is 22:23 (7:24 pace) When I do tempo runs I shoot for 7:30 ish, mile repeats (with rest inbetween) I try for 7:00. I'm doing another HM in about 4 weeks and my goal is average 8 min. pace. I really don't have much of a goal to get faster, since the type of training that would take is really just not what I'm in for! My goals are to stay at this fitness level, keep a cycle of training and rest for HMs and marathons, branch out into more cycling (maybe do a century ride one day) and be healthy!! I also try to be an encouraging friend to those people I know who are starting out on exercise programs and promote a healthy lifestyle. Carol
          1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
          OverAnalyzer

Running since January 2003. Weight pre-running was about 175 (up to 205 before starting to walk/hike in 2001) 2003-2006 I ran consistently 4-5 days a week averaging 18-30 miles a week depending on whether I was gearing up for a race or just maintaining. Lowest weight was 138. Avg. weight 145. Pace was about 9:00 on shorter bouts (5ks, short runs) to 10:00 on mid range (1/2, 20k, etc) up to 10:30 on longer distances (marathon, long runs). Early 2006 -- old knee problem and pregnancy sidelined all running. January 2007 -- back in the saddle. Working on getting 3 miles in a row, 3x a week until my treadmill purchase is made....hopefully by February 1st! I am only 3 mos post partum and still have about 20 lbs to lose (currently at 169) and some hip changes to combat (ouch!) and abs to tone back up (that makes a HUGE difference in running comfort -- gotta get the Pilates going again!) but I am at least back to it, albeit slowly. My goal is a fall marathon. Good thread, although I also suffer from inability to be brief. Roll eyes
              Great thread! I started running in July '06, after being talked into doing a local 5K in August. Since then I remembered that I actually enjoyed running, once upon a time. August '06 5k completed in 46 minutes, or almost 15 minutes/mile. Since then I've done a few more 5k's. Most recent was Thanksgiving, and averaged about 12 minutes/mile. I've also lost about 20 pounds since August (starting at 167, and now down to 145). On my recent tempo training runs I've been averaging about 10-11/mile for 5K. My next 5k is in 2 weeks & I'm really looking forward to it! I've been running 3 to 4 days per week for a total of about 11-15 miles per week. BTW, I just recently found this site and I think it rocks!

Slow-smooth-fast

Hey what a great read, enjoyed looking at all your progress. A lot of views but not enough posts, come on you lot, post here, its really interesting for everyone, Wink

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Slow-smooth-fast

BTW, I just recently found this site and I think it rocks!
                  Welcome to the community, hope you have a pleasant stay, be sure to keep logging your runs here, very useful to see your improvement,

I've actually had 2 running "lives." First was the one that lasted 6 years and went all through high school and a couple of years into college. Those were the fast and furious years of non-stop training and competition. Weight at the time was around 140 to 145 lbs. My second running life began in January of 2006. I was 181 lbs at the time and ran my first timed miled on the track in about a decade in 7:42 and my first 5k in 22:10. After some moderate running and plenty of cross training in the gym, I got my weight down to 153 lbs, my mile time down to 5:04 and ran a 19:49 5k. I'm hoping to improve upon those this year by putting in a lot more miles than I did in 2006. Chris
                    OverAnalyzer

WOW! Chris, a 5:04 mile....I bow before you! Big grin I might be able to manage that if a guy was chasing me with a machete or something. Yes I have done speed work and gotten down to about 7:00-7:30 p/mile on shorter runs, but it isn't reliable (or comfortable!). I am so d@mned competitive (at everything! lol) that I tried running w/ a faster partner for aout 3 mos and wound up in PT for a bursitis likely from pushing too much...I'm just going to hope that graduating to a higher age bracket during my 'hiatus' will help. That and entering plenty of smaller races....Tee hee.
                        WOW! Chris, a 5:04 mile....I bow before you! Big grin I might be able to manage that if a guy was chasing me with a machete or something. Yes I have done speed work and gotten down to about 7:00-7:30 p/mile on shorter runs, but it isn't reliable (or comfortable!). I am so d@mned competitive (at everything! lol) that I tried running w/ a faster partner for aout 3 mos and wound up in PT for a bursitis likely from pushing too much...I'm just going to hope that graduating to a higher age bracket during my 'hiatus' will help. That and entering plenty of smaller races....Tee hee.
                        Thanks! Blush Back in my first running life, I was able to run the mile in 4:26 (back at the age of 19). Big grin Sounds like you and I have something in common when it comes to being extremely competitive. I used to treat every workout like it was a race!
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Let's see... Started running in Sept '05. I was about 210 pounds at the time. Took me about 20 weeks to get through a 12 week "couch to 5K" style program, but I made it! Decided I liked it. Started logging runs in late Dec' 06. My paces were all over the place, so let me just go by race times. 5K time: 1/14/06 ..... 44:09 (Not sure what I weighed at the time, but it was probably between 200-205) In the previous month I'd been averaging maybe 5 miles per week. Started tracking weight in RA in May '06. I was 195 pounds at the time. 5K time: 5/6/06 ..... 39:10. I'd been averaging maybe 9 miles per week. Found a really flat and fast 5K course in Goldsboro, NC in August '06. I was 189 pounds at the time. 5K time: 8/5/06 ..... 36:04. I'd been averaging around 15 miles per week. This 5K time stood for a good while, as I started training for longer distances (completed a half-marathon on 10/22 in 2:59:34!) and stopped racing 5K's. Didn't beat it until just last month. At a race that was not flat... I was 179 pounds at the time. 5K time: 1/6/07 ..... 35:12. I'd been averaging 20+ miles per week (a few low (15-ish) weeks and some weeks around 30. December was an odd month for me). This year my big goal is to run a marathon. Specifically, I want to run in the Outer Banks Marathon in NC on 11/11/07. I'm shooting for a time around 5 1/2 hours, but will be happy with finishing uninjured and feeling like I did my best and trained well. I think that sums it up for me!

Roads were made for journeys...

OverAnalyzer

Thanks! Blush Back in my first running life, I was able to run the mile in 4:26 (back at the age of 19). Big grin Sounds like you and I have something in common when it comes to being extremely competitive. I used to treat every workout like it was a race!
                            4:26...d@mn! I do like to win. Big grin I have taken an approach w/running that I think many do -- beating myself....or I play the 'how many people can I pass' game during races. I may never finish first, but I will finish better than I did last time, and that is my victory. It helps b/c I think I (like many) tend to gravitate towards activities we can excel at w/o much effort....running pushes me outside of that comfort zone in many ways. But I have to fight the competitive bug. Running w/my husband brings it back out in me. Big grin Wingz -- that is a heck of a gain. Marathon here you come!
                            sjwick

My first running career (8years) was in jh/hs/college. Didn't really run for the right reasons and didn't really enjoy it either (Always hurt, unmotivated, inconsistent, exhausted, stressed from the pressure to compete all the damn time). Weight 105 and not a happy camper. The second time back (after a six year hiatus) running has been a blast. Started in January 2005 walking (new years resolution-weight 130) then progressed/snowballed to running in May and ran a 5k in July 2005 (28:21). In 2006 ran a trail 5k run in April (26:37) and got a idea to run a half marathon in July. I finished my very first half marathon in September 2006 (1:57:17 chip time). Weight 120ish and running is the me (relatively stress free) time away from work. Next goal: finish a full Marathon in May. I'm a different, happier runner now. Run my long runs on trails and take my dog along as a running partner, don't worry about the times and just enjoy getting outside and running through the mud.
                                Ran XC in middle school and early high school, lowest I ever got was a 18:58 5k. Usually not good enough to even show up on the varisty team. Picked back up running early last year. Then: mile pace: 10:30 was pushing it for 3 miles. Now: 8-9 minute pace for 10+ miles. I should be able to get back to that 5k marker within 2007. I hope. Just got to save 3 minutes of my new life PR. Aka run a smart race.