Replacing shoes - question (Read 614 times)

I only have about 100 miles on my shoes (my log here started only around January, I didn't import my Cool Running log over), so they shouldn't need to be replaced. I have the Saucony Grid Omni 5. The tread is fine, but the inside heel area is shredded. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems - no blisters, hot spots, etc. This is my very first pair of fancy (read = expensive) running shoes, and I don't know how important the inside lining is. Thoughts? As long as it doesn't bother my foot, I shouldn't need to think twice about it, right? If it starts giving me problems, I will replace. Might seem like a stupid question but I'm throwing it out there anyway. Smile

Michelle

A Saucy Wench

are you talking about the removable liner within the shoe? If it starts giving you problems you might want to look in to just replacing the insole. Talk to your running store too...sometimes they have extra insoles from people who come in with custom orthotics and ditch the standard insole. Also, if you bought the shoes at a fancy shmancy store and you come in with the running shoes and your log...they might give you a discount on replacement insoles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

No, not the insole. Maybe heel wasn't the best term... it's the back inside of the shoe, where my achilles is, roughly. The insoles are OK, and I have orthotics too. They're fine. It's just the lining behind my ankle that's shredding.

Michelle

I think those in the know call that the heel counter. I might think it's from the shoe not fitting and enabling your foot to move up and down, essentially abrading it. Especially common if you're wearing sandpaper socks. (I was kidding about that, but it just led me to think of this: Depending on the surface you are running on, maybe cinders or trail debris is getting in there. I am always taking my shoes off and pulling out the insole and finding dirt and junk.) 100 miles is sort of early for that kinda wear. Ask your shoe store. Maybe they'll hook you up somehow.
            Thanks. Big grin I just run around my neighborhood, so I don't think any gunk is getting in there. Maybe the occasional pebble finds its way in, but that's unlikely. Good idea to take them to the running store I bought them at - maybe they can give me a steep discount on something else. Big grin I like these shoes, but a new pair is always nice.

Michelle

JakeKnight

Take your shoes back to the store. At the very least, they'll give you an informed opinion. If the wear and tear is already as bad as you're describing, they should give you a new pair - assuming you bought them from a reputable specialty store.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Take your shoes back to the store. At the very least, they'll give you an informed opinion. If the wear and tear is already as bad as you're describing, they should give you a new pair - assuming you bought them from a reputable specialty store.
                That I did. The great South Sound Running. It's small, only two locations, but they're really good.

Michelle