Arc trainers vs ellipticals (Read 723 times)

Has anyone had experience with these? Did you prefer one over the other? Why?
      What is the difference? I've never really stopped to study them, I sort of thought the terms were interchangeable...
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

They're different. My friend's trainer told her that the arc trainer is the best thing she could do when she was recovering from an injury and couldn't run. It's more of an up and down motion rather than circular. I think it gives you a better workout, but that could just be me!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never used the Arc, but I think they look awkward and bouncy (they also seem to be more comfortable for taller people, from what I have heard and seen--not good for girls like us). I used to use a Precor elliptical out at GVSU when they first came out. I liked the ability to go forwards or backwards and the way it sort of combined the movements of running, skiing, and stair climbing. Going backwards gave me one helluva quad workout.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I used the Arc once or twice a few years ago and thought it was a much better workout than the elliptical, but that it also was easy on the joints.

TRUST THE PROCESS

They're different. My friend's trainer told her that the arc trainer is the best thing she could do when she was recovering from an injury and couldn't run.
              I've read a lot, but this seems to be the consensus on them. I honestly didn't even know about them and am having a hard time finding one around here, so next I'll look at what'd it'd cost to purchase. Not sure I want to do that though given how much it'd be used.
                they also seem to be more comfortable for taller people,
                I've read that too.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm 5'-9" , so I don't know if that counts as tall. My friend, though, is very petite, and she likes it, too. She has been a runner forever, but her knees have started hurting so much she can't run very often. The arc trainer has really helped her get some decent workouts.
                    I'm 5'-9" , so I don't know if that counts as tall.
                    It does to me! You've got me by 7"! Big grin
                    My friend, though, is very petite, and she likes it, too. The arc trainer has really helped her get some decent workouts.
                    Oh, that's good news! Thanks for posting!
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

It does to me! You've got me by 7"! Big grin Oh, that's good news! Thanks for posting!
                      You're welcome! That's funny, I never pictured you as short! We really need to have an LLR get-together sometime.