Gettysburg Battlefield Runs (Read 809 times)

Doug Little

Has anyone run Gettysburg? I did a few years ago and will be going back again, after Labor day. My running 'life' had just begun and I just took off, at sunrise. What an experience. You are truly running through history. You can smell and hear the battle with every footstep! Anyone know of some good routes through the battlefield? Thanks Doug
    JakeKnight

That would be amazing. As a history freak, I know exactly where I'd like to run, if its doable: I'd start at the seminary building to the west of Gettysburg, run right through town to the east and then run straight up Culp's Hill, and stop at the cemetery at the top (where Lincoln delivered his address). Then head south and run all the way along the top of Cemetery Ridge all the way to Little Round Top (stopping at the 20th Maine monument and offering a quick prayer for Joshua Chamberlain, a personal hero). Then cut east downwards through the Devil's Den all the way over to the Confederate lines, head north and run along Seminary Ridge until you hit the spot where Pickett's Charge began, then head due east across the battlefield - and turn left on Emmitsburg Road and run back into town. ------------------- Yeah, I've read The Killer Angels a few too many times. And whether there are any decent running trails leading to any of the above, I have no idea at all. If you could do it, it'd be (very) roughly around 10-12 miles. Can you tell I'm a little bit jealous? Going there - and running there - are my personal bucket list.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Doug, I'm about 1.5 hours from Gettysburg. Been through it many times, but haven't been "to" it in years. What a great idea - next time I'm out that way, I may make it a point to borrow your plan and run through history! The guy in charge at Gettysburg (don't know what the title is - Senior Ranger, Supervisory Historian...?) is Scott Hartwig. I grew up playing backyard football and wiffleball with him. He's a couple years older than me, and one day he left for college - in Wyoming - for Forestry. Life intervened, and 25 years or so later, I'm walking by the TV with the History Channel on and I hear a voice that stopped me in my tracks. I look at the screen, and I see Scott talking about Little Round Top. He was interviewed for the multi-part series The History Channel did on Gettysburg. Great, great series. I noticed on the NPS website for Gettysburg that there are hiking and bike trails designated. Personally, I'd say screw that and run my own path through history. Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Get back up!

I haven't been to Gettysburg in years. i'm right outside of Philly so its not that far. Running the battlefields sounds like an amazing idea. I might have to make a day trip out there some weekend soon. Wow, legging out that last half mile right in the middle of the field might give Pickett's Charge new meaning. Tongue
          Live your heart and never follow.
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Haven't done this myself, but I bet it would be really cool. They have a narrated tour of the park, that you can buy in the information center / gift shop on CD. It goes into detail of the events and battles of the three days of Gettysburg. Buy it, load it on your iPod, and run the route of the tour. I did take the tour by car, and it was an amazing and moving experience. As I remember, it ran at roughly idle speed, so it should fit pretty well with a training run.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's what I like about Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon and Chick Chase. A run through the monuments on a quiet morning is really memorable.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016