Moldy Bread: Pick it off, or toss it all? (Read 228 times)

GabrielleB

Depends on how moldy and how low on lunch supplies I am. Big grin I check out the entire loaf. If it's just a little bit, I pick it off and toast it.

It should be mentioned I rarely eat bread. This is my standard for the bread I serve my kids. :O

Revenge of the Nerd

For bread I'll scrap the offending slice.  For cheese I'll slice off  the offending scrap.

---- A better question might be:  How many people have already eaten a piece of bread (or part of a piece) only to notice that the loaf is partially green?!?!?!!

That reminds me of the old riddle...

Q: What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

A: Finding half a worm.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

For bread I'll scrap the offending slice.  For cheese I'll slice off  the offending scrap.

That reminds me of the old riddle...

Q: What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

A: Finding half a worm.

This reminds me of a sandwich I ate in high school. I guess I was too tired to look closely at the bread when I made my lunch that morning. I had ate almost half the sandwich when I noticed tiny white worms or grubs in my sandwich bag! I took a close look at the sandwich I was eating and sure enough it was full of worms!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Toss it, because it all seems to taste funny if some of it is moldy.  With cheese, on the other hand, I usually just cut away the mold.

+1

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Depends on how moldy and how low on lunch supplies I am. Big grin I check out the entire loaf. If it's just a little bit, I pick it off and toast it.

It should be mentioned I rarely eat bread. This is my standard for the bread I serve my kids. :O

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Cool Jump Suit

I cut off the mold and eat it.  Unless I'm feeling lazy, then I just throw it away.  My mom ALWAYS cut the mold off.  Waste not, want not.

So bittersweet,
              This tragedy
              Won't ask for absolution;
              This melody,
              Inside of me,
              Still searches for solution.
              A twist of faith,
              A change of heart
              Cures my infatuation.
              A broken heart, 
              Provides the spark
              For my determination.

This reminds me of a sandwich I ate in high school. I guess I was too tired to look closely at the bread when I made my lunch that morning. I had ate almost half the sandwich when I noticed tiny white worms or grubs in my sandwich bag! I took a close look at the sandwich I was eating and sure enough it was full of worms!!

My "gross" story isn't quite that gross. In HS I would keep a box of crackers in my locker to snack on between classes. One day as I was quickly shoving some in my mouth, I felt a tingling on my hand and I realied I had a hand full of of ants.  That was the last time I kept food in my locker.

Strict WTF adherent

Toss it. Mold makes more mold. You don't want that shit contaminating all of your food, and possibly your brain.

The one exception: The lone moldy blackberry at the center of the pack, which you couldn't see even upon the closest inspection at the supermarket. In that case, remove the offending berry, wash the rest and eat them all immediately.

Feeling the growl again

Recognize that the mold you see is only the fruitful part of the fungi.  The actual fungus extends much more thoroughly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Recognize that the mold you see is only the fruitful part of the fungi.  The actual fungus extends much more thoroughly.

Hmm, I've always just picked off the moldy part, or gotten another, mold-free slice.  Never had any ill effects.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Butter Tart

This thread makes me itch.

TJoseph

If it has mold, it is going to taste stale.  I just throw it away.

Hmm, I've always just picked off the moldy part, or gotten another, mold-free slice.  Never had any ill effects.

I hate to cross threads, but your other thread gets me wondering whether you ate moldy bread...

mab411 said: "Yesterday I was sick, sickest I've been in seven or eight years...."

hmm???

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

beat

Break on through

Toss it!  It is ex-bread, man.  Deceased. Not pinin' for the fjords, not resting or stunned.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I hate to cross threads, but your other thread gets me wondering whether you ate moldy bread...

mab411 said: "Yesterday I was sick, sickest I've been in seven or eight years...."

hmm???

Lol, maybe that's it!  Been quite awhile since I've eaten any moldy bread, though.  But if there's one thing we know about mold, it's that it's as patient as it is fuzzy.

...at least, I'm going to pretend we know that about mold, because it's kind of catchy.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people