2012 National Marathon/Half Marathon Thread (Read 952 times)

Best Present Ever

If it's anything like the past, there's absolutely no organization to the corrals and you can line up anywhere you like.  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Actually I heard that was how it was for RnR Savannah back in November too.

I was a little bit leery  of signing up for a RnR event but we were going to be up there any.

MTA:  I'm just glad that it looks like the weather will be mild.  I hate coldSmile

steph  

Julia1971

If it's anything like the past, there's absolutely no organization to the corrals and you can line up anywhere you like.  

Yeah, I was going to add that I seem to recall something about there only being a few entrances to the corrals and having to go through some to get to others.  So, it ended up being a hodge podge anyway.  But they were checking the entrace to Corrals 1 and 2.  Probably because of the problem they had the year before where the parking problems led to so many slower runners in Corral 1.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Apparently the race website is entirely down. Someone tonight told me that the race starts at the Capitol, which would be a big change from previous years. Anyone know?  Also, does anyone know if the metro train runs early (& stations open early) on Sat morning?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

Apparently the race website is entirely down. Someone tonight told me that the race starts at the Capitol, which would be a big change from previous years. Anyone know?  Also, does anyone know if the metro train runs early (& stations open early) on Sat morning?

Haven't heard anything about the Capitol part.

So far, all I see is that there's track maintenance between Stadium Armory and Addison Road on race morning.  Why does WMATA hate RnR?  If you're staying east of the City, add some extra commuting time. 

Someone on the race Facebook page said WMATA tweeted that they are opening at 6am, but apparently the trip planner on their site isn't reflecting it.

ETA: Checked this morning and there's a new course map.  It's certified now and still starting at the Stadium.

Best Present Ever

Yeah, I was going to add that I seem to recall something about there only being a few entrances to the corrals and having to go through some to get to others.  So, it ended up being a hodge podge anyway.  But they were checking the entrace to Corrals 1 and 2.  Probably because of the problem they had the year before where the parking problems led to so many slower runners in Corral 1.

That was exactly it. Very limited entrances to be start area. It felt a little dangerous actually. People pushing yet hemmed in. I couldn't see the corral signs and just gave up finding the right place, and people around me were all mixed up, pacewise.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I see the website is up again. The map looks enough like the traditional course to me that I can't tell if they've changed anything. The first half looks the same, and the second half looks generally the same, except I don't really remember the details of the funny zigzags after crossing below the mall and before running over the bridge to Anacostia.

ymmv

I see the website is up again. The map looks enough like the traditional course to me that I can't tell if they've changed anything. The first half looks the same, and the second half looks generally the same, except I don't really remember the details of the funny zigzags after crossing below the mall and before running over the bridge to Anacostia.

Here's my garmin map from 2010. I'm not sure about the 2011 course.

The changes from 2010 that I noticed are that the start is a little farther along the course, this year's course goes by Union Station (twice), this year's marathon does not loop the stadium at the halfway point, this year has a run up south capitol st (should be another nice view of the capitol building).

I remember the runners being pretty sparse after the first half. It would be fun to meet and pace a friend the second half (as long is it's not you going for a sub 3!)

Julia1971

To me, it looks like it's the same as last year but instead of the marathoners going around the stadium, they do a stint on S. Capitol St.  Not a bad trade.  I hated the back part of the stadium - it was kind of desolate.

The Start Line Map confused me.  I guess they're moved the start up a few blocks.  And, the arrows make me think there are entrances for each corral.  Now, whether they'll monitor them...

Julia1971

Hope everyone had a great race!

I'm going to give RnR an A-.  I thought everything was either as good (shirt, course, Expo, bag check) or better (fancy bag, Metro opening earlier, mile markers, signage, runner tracking) than years past.  I'd rate them higher but that $20 bag pick up thing really rubbed me the wrong way.

Much more crowd support for the half this year, too.  I wasn't impressed by the bands only because you pass them so quickly.  I kinda miss the Howard students with boom boxes. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We (DH and I)  had a good time.  We were pleasantly surprised by the organization.  

Very well organized.  Got to say hey to Julia1971 for a sec.  Imaginary person in real life.  

Does that make her real Wink

steph  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That was a lot of corrals.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I do have to add that I was very surprised by the amount of trash every where in the finish

areas.  I don't think that I have seen any thing quite like it.

I haven't run very many huge races but I've done Peachtree (55-60,000 runners) the last two years

and the difference was amazing.   As a runner I was embarrassed to be seen by the

clean up people who were just shaking their heads.

steph