Shoe recommendations (Read 96 times)

Chris Pinney

I have been wearing nothing but Altras for the last few years and love them. No problems during marathon training but when I up my speedwork for 5k/10k start to develop some ankle tightness. Usually just the first few minutes in the morning. Wanted to try something with a small heel toe drop and a little more forefoot stability. I've also gotten used to the wide toe box in the Altras so a lot of shoes feel narrow. I am sure it's me and not the shoes so any advice is appreciated.

Still very low drop, but look into Topo.  Wide toebox and I think they are made better than Altra.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Agree on the Topo suggestion.

I have been using Altra Torin 2.0 for some training and for ultras.

I like the Topo Fly-lite for slightly faster work (and general training) because they fit more closely though the midfoot while still having enough room in the toe box.

I like the Merrell Bare Access (Arc for women) as well for similar fit to the Topo Fly-lite - at least in previous versions of the shoe, not sure about v 4.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Daydreamer1

Are you sure this is a shoe issue? The way I look at it you're changing your routine and stressing your body differently.  When I go from short to mid distance runs to longer runs my feet ache and hurt until they adapt. I've had the same thing happen when i work on speed work.  Normally goes away as my feet adapt.

The past few months I've been hitting the gym at least twice a week.  Some of my routine is doing squats and leg presses and pushing high weight with quite a few reps.  For awhile my feet and ankles were really stiff, sore and tired especially after getting out of bed.  Don't really think it was the shoes, just my body adapting to the new stresses.

Chris Pinney

Looked up Topo. I had never heard of them before. I'll try them next. They are also cheaper than the Altras. I hope I adapt too Daydreamer. Thanks for the advice everyone.