running on trail roads as well as concrete paths (Read 213 times)

Ramu

Hi, I am new to trail running shoes.My current running shoes worn out and I am in search of new running shoes. Generally i run on concrete paths and occasionally( once a week or twice a month) run off-pavement(forests, country roads).

I want to have trail running shoes but I can only buy a pair of running shoes and can not go for two type of running shoes.

Suggest me a pair from below or any which serve purpose of running both on concrete paths as well as trail running roads.

http://www.sp24.com/running/schuhe/men/schuhgroesse-45/adidas_Supernova_Sequence_6_i209_53430.htm?filterCATROOT=Running&filterSIZEROOT=45&filterCATROOT/Running=Schuhe&filterGender=Men&filterPreis1=44%20-%2067

http://www.sp24.com/running/schuhe/men/schuhgroesse-45/adidas_Kanadia_TR_6_i136_56098.htm?filterCATROOT=Running&filterSIZEROOT=45&filterCATROOT/Running=Schuhe&filterGender=Men&filterPreis1=44%20-%2067

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I do most of my running on trails and run in my regular shoes.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

some call me Tim

If you're not running in thick mud or technical/rocky trails, whatever you use for road shoes is fine. If you like them, get another pair. Trail shoes with teeny treads and/or no rock protection might as well be road shoes.

Ramu

So I can use Trail shoes even running regularly in city foot path and roads.

Feeling the growl again

So I can use Trail shoes even running regularly in city foot path and roads.

Road shoes work fine on all but the most technical trails.  The reverse is not so true; trail shoes can sometimes be problematic on pavement, and since the sole is often made of softer rubber they will wear much faster.

I used to run a ton of trails.  I never owned trail shoes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I use my trail shoes for snow and my road shoes for trails. If I only could have one pair I'd have road shoes.

Prince of Fatness

If I only could have one pair I'd have road shoes.

This.

Not at it at all. 

I use my trail shoes mostly for mud protection.  Last weekend I wore them on a rail trail that turned out to not be nearly as muddy as I expected, and regretted it.  They are great for traction in muddy and uneven surfaces, but road shoes would have been much better for my legs on the dry packed dirt.

Road shoes if protection from rolling your ankle, or slippery surface (rocks, mud) is not a concern.

I used to rain a fair amount of technical trails and the only trail shoe I've ever bought is hardly used. They tend to be bulkier and the higher ankle also irritates my Achilles, maybe I just have the wrong trail shoe (salomon XA Pro), and just need to buy a lighter one, but then again a road shoe with a more aggressive tread would probably do just fine.

I use my trail shoes for snow and my road shoes for trails. If I only could have one pair I'd have road shoes.

+1

Ready, go.

Latent Runner

I used to feel the same way, then I bought my first pair if Asics Gel Scouts.  They're light enough to use for road work and have the best rock intrusion protection of any trail shoe I've ever owned.  If I could only have one pair, I'd have the Gel Scouts.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

since the great majority of your runs are on pavement you should use road runners.  as has been noted they are fine for most non-technical trails.  on the other hand the lugs on trail runners will wear much faster on pavement.  trail runners also will be harder on your body while using on pavement.   with that in mind there are some "hybrid" type shoes that work for both trails/pavement.  Salomon has a few:  sense mantra, x-tour, x-scream. I own a pair of the sense mantra & they work fine for both surfaces, although they are not the best for me for other reasons.  If you use a neutral type shoe the Brooks Ghost would be a great choice to at least check out.  pretty aggressive tread for a road runner & they come in a GTX version too.

NHLA

I have bought trail shoes from every manufacturer and have never found a pair I liked. They are just too stiff and heavy but I do use them because the fire roads are covered with granite rocks that hurt your feet.

I am running in Hokas now and they are OK.  They feel odd but you can run on roads and trails.

I use road shoes in the summer and trail shoes in the winter.  Road shoes have plenty of traction for the gravel and grass trails that I run on.  Trail shoes have just enough traction that I can run on snow and ice without needing traction gadgets.

I own a few pairs of Saucony Peregrine 3 trail shoes, and like them a lot. They're great on trails, good protection and great traction, yet when I run in them on the road they pretty much feel like road shoes. I do most of my road running in road shoes, but if I had to pick one for multi-use it would be them. And, last I looked (a week or so ago) they still had them in the liquidation section of runningwarehouse, so you can pick them up relatively cheap.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.