keeping mind occupied (Read 843 times)

sous

I am new to running and really like it. I am having a hard time keeping my focus after the second mile, it is like i hit this point that is really hard to work through and i have to really fight to not stop running. It is not that i am in pain or cant breathe, i am pretty sure it is totally mental. The problem is i dont know how to push through and i am running my first 10k in less than a month. It has got me totally worried, so if anyone can relate, Help Please!!

Supa Dupa Fly

I know that some people object to running with an ipod...but i find that listening to music sometimes helps me to keep my mind busy so i think less about being tired/quitting/etc. And faster paced music helps keep me in a rhythm.
      ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--

The Greatest of All Time

I usually do not focus on running unless I am racing. During training runs I just let my mind wander. I do most of my creative thinking when I am running. It's easier for me to ignore pain by not thinking about what I am doing. Music is nice too.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          You might want to try some psychoactive drugs for your next outing. Big grin Perhaps going out soused is your problem. Wink I find a radio and mp3 player are nice, but sometimes I do enjoy running without them.

Vim

C-R

I just stopped using my ipod and found I really enjoy my runs more. Like Marcus, I think through things important in my life, but I also love to people and scenery watch. Lots of things I was missing on my lunch course that I now notice. Whatever you try it should complement your runs to make them more fun. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The problem is i dont know how to push through and i am running my first 10k in less than a month.
              Assuming you are a dude 1. Women 2. Other runners That's how Big grin

Vim

Well for me, (a mom with two kids and a full time job) running is my only time to think. I can think about whatever I want, uninterrupted. This is a thing of rarety in my life. It took me several months of running to one day actually think to myself, "Hmm, what do I want to think about today?". Usually my mind is so overrun with stuff, that the topics fight eachother in my head. Okay, that just sounds weird, but you know what I mean. I see running as more meditation than exercise. So I think about everything and nothing and anything in between. I mostly don't think about running. Unless it is to fantasize about doing really well in a race, or somehow magically becoming an Olympic marathoner. Wink

http://www.runningnotes.net

Assuming you are a dude 1. Women 2. Other runners That's how Big grin
                  I'm surprised I don't see, 3. Women runners. Smile

jeffdonahue

Are there any running groups in your area that you could run with, or do you have friends that run? running with other people not only helps to get you out there more frequently, but having someone to talk to makes the time pass much quicker.
                      Another technique may want to employ is having someone drive you out 10KM from your current residence and drop you off. This forces you to do the run or walk. Assumptions 1. You don't have friends or family along the path. 2. You are not into hitchhiking. 3. Public transportation is not available Best on your 10K!

Vim

The Greatest of All Time

I see running as more meditation than exercise. So I think about everything and nothing and anything in between. I mostly don't think about running. Unless it is to fantasize about doing really well in a race, or somehow magically becoming an Olympic marathoner. Wink
                        Same same.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        milkbaby

Running is like any other activity... you just need to keep practicing it! The more you do it, the better you will get at most all aspects including the mental aspect of running. Some common tips for keeping yourself in it: 1) run in a cool place with things to see/hear/smell, 2) tell yourself you will run to that next tree, then when you get to it tell yourself you'll run to that telephone pole, and keep repeating this until you're finished, 3) do some brainstorming about something, make some plans for stuff you want to do later, make your shopping list, think about who you haven't called in a while and what you will say to them, 4) focus on your breathing and use that as part of your running meditation, and my favorite 5) just be happy that you are alive and can enjoy running! Smile
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                            I agree with what everyone else is saying about the no-music and use the time as a "meditative" time. Try to harness the power of positive self talk! Tell yourself that you relax after running. Tell yourself that running is good for you because it allows you to self reflect. Tell yourself that you love to be in tune with your thoughts and body. Tell yourself that now you're a runner, you NEED your daily runs and that you NEED to run or you will physically feel gross. I used to think excersize was horribly boring. Self talk it up enough and you will start to believe!

Life is Good

A good Mp3 player or ipod with music or "Pod casts" are great if you like to listen to people talk about things you enjoy they are really good at keeping your mind off the extra mile. oh and a good running partner is always fun too! Big grin good luck with the running! push through the thought of quiting and after a few weeks it usually get easier.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

2) tell yourself you will run to that next tree, then when you get to it tell yourself you'll run to that telephone pole, and keep repeating this until you're finished,
                                Funny, one time, in my head, I actually thought, "I just need to get to the halfway mark and then I can turn around.". I spent the next half mile laughing at myself when I realized what I had "said".