Long run advice? (Read 963 times)

I am scheduled to do my longest run ever this am - 8 miles. I'm nervous but determined. Any words of wisdom?

Dave

Relax and run at an easy pace. Most important to cover the distance the first time you extend your long run. 8 miles is enough to bring water or gatorade if the temp is above 80F. FWIW, I took a picture VERY similar to the one in your avatar in India last year. http://public.fotki.com/dgb2n/india-2007/imgp2009.html

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks dbg2n - I will bring water and take it slow. I suppose I better get out there while its still cool and before the storms hit. That is one of my favorite photos I've taken from my garden a couple summers ago. Those very same flowers (yellow coneflower) just started blooming again.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Hey Lakerunner... how did it go? Cool

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

an amazing likeness

One foot in front of the other; repeat until done. Manage the effort you're putting out, let the pace fall where it may.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Manage the effort you're putting out, let the pace fall where it may.
              Exactly-That's what I do. I leave with no predetermined pace, just an attitude that I want to cover the distance and still be running by the end. The pace is what it is.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

How was the run! My long run for tomorrow morning is going to be the same distance! I've hit 7 miles so far and tomorrow will be my first 8. Looks like we're on the same page. Hope it went well. My long run advice which is pretty no-brainer is enough rest the night before, plenty of fluids the day before and while running (I always carry a water or Gatorade for anything 6 miles or over) and at least a little something in your belly at latest, 15-30 minutes before (my trick is 2 slices of raisin cinnamon toast and 2 glasses of water about 20 minutes before my long runs). Good luck and happy running!

2012: Just run.

~Gordo~

I know you already did your run, but there are 2 very important (at least for me) things to do for long runs. 1) Poop before I go out the door. 2) Make sure I have my baggie of baby-wipes, just in case. Cool
                  !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                    I always break my long runs down into pieces mentally and focus solely on getting through once portion at a time. A portion might be 2, 3, 4 or miles depending on how far I'm running, or from one landmark to another. Either way, try not to think about the entire distance as one big lump, because that can get intimidating.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I always break my long runs down into pieces mentally and focus solely on getting through once portion at a time. A portion might be 2, 3, 4 or miles depending on how far I'm running, or from one landmark to another. Either way, try not to think about the entire distance as one big lump, because that can get intimidating.
                      I do this, too. I break up my long runs into thirds or quarters or something like that. Much easier mentally to think about a few miles at a time than all of it at once.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm always figuring out the percentage of my planned run that I've completed. Keeps my brain busy.

Non ducor, duco.

I always tell myself that if I make it half the way, then I the rest of the run is as good as done. It's a game I play with myself but it is kinda true since I have to get back home. Hope it went well!

Dave

I always tell myself that if I make it half the way, then I the rest of the run is as good as done. It's a game I play with myself but it is kinda true since I have to get back home. Hope it went well!
                            Exactly why my long runs lately have been out and backs. Once you've gone out, the only thing left is to ... run back. I always feel good for at least 7 or 8 miles. Gets me to the turnaround for up to 16, then all I have to do is HTFU.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

It didn't go well. You know that feeling you get about 2 miles in when you've loosened up and just kind of go? That didn't happen and I kind of knew then it was going to be a crappy run. I waited until too late in the am, the sun was beating down on me and I ran out of water 5 miles in. I stopped at the town park for more water at mile six and just didn't have it after that. I'll just learn from this and try again in a couple of weeks or so. What I learned: 1. Start earlier in the am to avoid the heat and sun. 2. Hydrate better before running so I don't drink it all in the first 5 miles. 3. Don't focus on the whole, just break it down into small sections and run those. 4. Don't make your first run in new running shoes the long run. (They felt great though!) Thanks for all your tips - I'm sure I'll get that 8 mile run in before the end of August. I'm headed for the Caribbean next week so it'll have to wait. I'll be at a research station in the rainforest and I'm not sure I'll be able to run much there. If I can though, I be out there with a machete cutting myself a path as I run.
                                Hehe. I find this works especially well in the middle of winter, when its below zero outside. You get to the halfway point and find yourself with two choices: get headed back as fast as possible, or freeze. Smile Lakerunner5: Sorry your run didn't go well, but you're showing a great attitude about it. Every bad run is really just a learning experience: figure out what went wrong and try to work on fixing it. Keep us apprised of your progress.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.