Need a good Jogging Stroller (Read 1167 times)

My husband works out of town, so for 4 weeks at a time it's just me and my 14 month old daughter. That means that she HAS to go with me on my runs, but the only problem is that I just have a cheapo regular stroller and I need to invest in a jogging stroller!

Can anyone give some good recommendations? Or at least what "features" I need to look for?

Most of my runs are done on the street, as our section of town doesn't have many sidewalks (luckily the streets are all but dead slow anyway!) and occasionally I go to the high school track.

Jac 

I asked this question in the forums about 6 months ago.

I'll distill down what I think everyone will say:

1) BOB Ironman

2) Baby Jogger Performance

I'd say a majority favoured the BOB Ironman, but I went with the Baby Jogger as it has the bigger tires which may or may not make it better.

I love my Baby Jogger and so does my now 4-month old son. I bought the carseat adapter for it (and a cheap $20 carseat off Kijiji because our good one wasn't compatible) and I've been running with him in it ever since he was 5 weeks old. BUT I just looked at your post again and you have a 14mo child, so that might not be of interest!

- I've personally never used the handbreak so I can't attest to whether thats good or not.

- Make sure whatever you buy has a fixed front wheel and at least 16" tires.

Alas, my wife wouldn't let me get the optional coolerbag attachment - now I can only envy those runners who can enjoy ice cold beers on their long runs.

an amazing likeness

After you get your stroller, whatever else you do...when you are out for run with your kid in the stroller and kicking ass, do NOT turn to another runner as you're passing them and say "Gee...you should try it pushing this load, it is hard. See ya!".

If you do that, the other person will do a slow burn for months....turning the events over in his head, wondering how that happened, feeling the pain and hurt in the dark, sleepless nights...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BOB - anything BOB

But check your local craigslist first, I was looking on there when I was trying to sell my double stroller & there were quite a few single strollers & several great brands.

It depends on what you want to spend.  BOB is THE stroller for running (about $300-$375) but I have a InStep brand jogger (low-end Schwinn, cost about $120) and I've been using it for 13 months no problems (except for the giant thorn I ran over that poked a hole in my tire, but hey).  Other things to consider that I wish we had- any plans for kiddo #2 soon?  If so, just get the double now.  Do you bike?  If so, you may want to spring for a bike trailer/jogger/stroller.  We did just that, got a Nordic Cab and paid a handful, but it does everything we want and will fit 2 little ones.  I love going for runs with my son- it's a little extra workout too, so when you run without it you go FAST, whee!!
            Jill_B

I fly.

I have a 5 year old dreamer design (I think that they stopped making them) that has held up very well to my kids.  The only issues that I have with it are that it pulls to the right (and always has - 2 bike shops tried and failed to fix that problem) and that it's really, really long.  It was probably around $200 or $250 new (it was a gift), so if you could find a used one in good shape you might want to go that route.

Had I bought one, I would've bought the BOB.

Bring it on.

Thanks so much everyone!! Hopefully within the next few weeks we'll be purchasing a new stroller!! I really appreciate your advice Smile

Jac 

Intentionally Blank

I bought an Instep 20K for a little over a hundred dollars, and it worked great for the three years I used it.  I never saw a reason to pay more for the high end strollers.  Search the Running Times archives for a great article on running strollers.  That's where I decided to buy the Instep.

I gave the Instep to someone else, and now have a Burley convertible running stroller/bike trailer for two.  I've gone as far as 15 miles (wouldn't recommend) with two kids in that thing.  A portable dvd player really helped for those long runs.

under a rock

I have a Schwinn Free Runner with 16" wheels. We really like it. The handlebar is adjustable height and the rain shield is built in the canopy for convenience. My son usually ends up taking a pretty good nap in it so it must be a comfy ride. It's more affordable than the BOB or Baby Jogger. http://www.joggingstroller.com/Schwinn-Free-Runner.pro
                    ford

BOB all the way, hands down.  We've beat the crap out of ours with 2 kids and living near the mountains in Colorado. This BOB Suv is extremely tough. WELL worth the money, it's the best thing i've bought for the kids. Used would be fine as they are very well built.