Illegal Aid in a Marathon (Read 949 times)

cincyjacket

In my very first marathon, I got hungry and stopped and ate some chicken at a fast food restaurant along the course. Since this option was available to every runner on the course (provided they had money), I suppose it was legal.

Truth is unless you're trying to claim some prize money or finish in the top standings, I don't think the race officials care what you do.

I apologize for being unnecessarily harsh to the OP.

I was reading a triathlon forum a couple of days ago about a guy who was DQ'd for running Ironman Coeur D'Alene this past Sunday wearing earphones in 1 ear.

For one, I can't believe an Ironman triathlete would wear earphones while racing.  In my limited experience with triathlons at all levels, that's a HUGE no-no!  I think this idiot also claimed he was wearing them on the bike, but he was disqualified on the run portion.

Typing this reminded me of another story on that same forum regarding an elite triathlete who was in 3rd place overall in a 1/2 Ironman (I think) that had a man in a gorilla suit run along side him for about 1 minute, and they gave him a 4 minute penalty, which took him off of the podium.  He knew the guy in the gorilla suit, and I guess the gorilla suited guy was assisting him on the run.  It was a funny thread and even included pictures.

As it relates to running races, though, I'm a middle of the pack type of guy that'll pick up an orange wedge or a high five from anybody willing to give them in the last part of a race.

Carry on.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

#artbydmcbride

I think the elites can hand each other some of their own stuff, but outside aid isn't allowed from their coachs and friends.

Runners run

Mysecondnewname

One question that I've always wondered is recieving aid from another registered runner.  Obviously being paced by one is perfectly legal, but what if I offer a friend a gel?  Is that legal?  Is that ethical?

Good question.   I just read the relevant USTAF guidelines and I can't find anything prohibiting registered competitors from sharing water or food with another competitor.  Hopefully, someone can find the definitive answer.  (I suspect, though, that it is allowed, as I've seen it occur amongst elites during major marathons.)

I think the elites can hand each other some of their own stuff, but outside aid isn't allowed from their coachs and friends.

World-class sportsmanship.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Mysecondnewname

Feeling the growl again

Good question.   I just read the relevant USTAF guidelines and I can't find anything prohibiting registered competitors from sharing water or food with another competitor.  Hopefully, someone can find the definitive answer.  (I suspect, though, that it is allowed, as I've seen it occur amongst elites during major marathons.)

Well, I was once in a group of marathoners trying to qualify for the olympic trials.  People did not hesitate to pass water around to each other.  It would suck if we all should have been disqualified, it was a great experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

cincyjacket

I remember watching the Olympic qualifying race and there were two elites who train together who I'm not going to name. Anyway, the one  that was slightly ahead was drinking from a squeeze bottle and the one behind her was reaching forward as she obviously wanted her to pass back the bottle.

I'm going to give the elite in front the benefit of the doubt and say that she did not notice her "friend" reaching forward because after she took her sip, she tossed the bottle aside. I wonder if they exchanged words post-race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In my very first marathon, I got hungry and stopped and ate some chicken at a fast food restaurant along the course. Since this option was available to every runner on the course (provided they had money), I suppose it was legal.

It also makes for a more entertaining story, at least in my opinion Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CT JEFF

LONG BEACH (CBSLA.com) — The record-breaking winner of the Orange County Marathon has been disqualified after video evidence shows he received help during the race from a bicyclist.

Marathon Director Gary Kutscher says the video was brought to his attention Monday by Nathan Shay, the brother of runner-up Stephan Shay.

“We were able to see that yes, in fact, the bicyclist [was committing] illegal pacing, if you will. As a result of that, I was able to make the determination that this was something that needed to be overturned and put Stephan Shay as our winner,” Kutscher said.

Not only did the original winner, Mohamed Fadil, have a friend on a bike riding alongside him, but that bicyclist also supplied him with water.

The video captures a confrontation between the bicyclist and Nathan Shay, who calls him out for breaking the rules.

Nathan Shay can be heard saying, “You’re on video.”

“He wanted water,” Fadil’s friend said.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“So, what? You can’t give assistance. That’s a violation,” Nathan Shay replied.

“That’s what the hydration station does,” the friend said.

“Yeah, but not you,” Shay said.

“Why don’t you relax, buddy. Just because your brother got beat,” the bicyclist said.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/05/07/record-breaking-oc-marathon-winner-disqualified-for-getting-aid-during-race/

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

BeeRunB

Tasers drawn.

"Stop, this is the race police. Drop the illegal orange slice and get down on the ground. You have the right to keep training. You have the right to fully recover. You have the right to remain an age-grouper. Anything identified at your stomach pumping as illegal food or drink may be used against you at your probationary hearing. You have the right to consult your favorite running message board, forum, or Googleplus community before speaking to the race police, and to have an Iphone connected to it during questioning now or in the future. If you cannot afford an Iphone, a refurbished 2009 Samsung tracphone will be appointed for you before any questioning (data limits apply), if you wish. If you decide to answer any questions now, without being connected to your favorite message board, forum, or Googleplus community, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you consult it. Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without a running message board or forum present?"

“Why don’t you relax, buddy. Just because your brother got beat,” the bicyclist said.

they may want to consider what happened to his other brother before saying things quite that way.  It could be misinterpreted.

bap

One of the worst races I did had that rule about no aid outside of official aid stations.

Then they started running out of water and whatever sports drink they were offering.  And cups.  Then the volunteers got tired of people complaining and left.  The the volunteers at the finish line decided they should close down and gave what food was left to the runners and that had already finished and there families.  By the time those of us in the back of the pack got there, there was nothing left.  And the posted time for when the course/race was to close was still an hour away.

That's when I learned to be self supporting.

I've seen world class race leaders miss a bottle at a feeding station and grab a bottle of water from a spectator.

As far as headphones are concerned, it is a regulation but it's also done for insurance purposes.

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013

drifter

I've run as an elite and what they do is take your well labelled bottles with whatever in them and stage them at specific points in the race.  Usually at or near the normal water stops.  The race officials do that.  That is legal.  That is considered race provided.  If an elite were to take additional aid from a spectator or friend or who ever inbetween these aid stations, they will be breaking teh rules and can be disqualified.  That is illegal for everyone.  The elite's can grab water from a normal water staion or gel or whatever the race is providing as well as their own bottles, no problem.   I have seen people DQ'd for receiving aid from a friend in between race aid stations.  That is illegal.  Case in point Milwaukee Lake Front a couple years ago, 2009 I think.  The lead female was DQ'd for taking a water bottle outside an aid station from a friend.  They ruled that if the friend was within 100 yards or something of an aid station it would be OK.

The other form of aid that is illegal is pacing.   I have seen people DQ'd for being paced by someone that wsn't an official pacer and wasn't a registered runner.  That is illegal.  Case in point, a friend of mine was DQ'd at a half marathon earlier this month in Chicago because an unregistered runner hopped in and paced her for a portion of the race.  She lost $1000.  I was in a marathon and it was mile 24 or so and a friend of mine had already finished the 10k race and was cooling down when he saw me and started running with me.  I was in 2nd place at the time and a police motrocycle pacer was riding along side me.  I asked my friend to run behind me as to not get DQ'd and ethically I  didn't want him to help me by pacing me along.  That was for prize money and the race official could have and should have DQ'd me if my friend had ran along side me or in front of me.  He was a registered runner, but in a different event and he was done.

I never take aid outside of the aid stations when I run as an elite or if I'm going for a win.  It is illegal.  Period.  I've even had official bike pacers offer me water.  I refuse it.  Even though they are part of the race, other runners don't get that advantage, so I feel too guilty.  I carry my own stuff or I wait for and aid station.  I'm not sure if that is illegal or not, but personally I don't do it.

I don't think a race will ever DQ a person for this unless they are going for a money prize, but I believe that if you are going for an age group award or any award, you should abide by these rules.  If you are just out there to finish, that's up to you, but I would think if you want to finish the marathon within the rules, you would abide by them.  If you are out there to have fun and don't care then that's different, you can stop at McDonalds if you want.

One question that I've always wondered is recieving aid from another registered runner.  Obviously being paced by one is perfectly legal, but what if I offer a friend a gel?  Is that legal?  Is that ethical?

Passing water/gels among registered runners is legal, because I have done it. Ok, what I have done is irrelavent. I remember i saw Kenyans passed water bottle around in London on TV. Guess it is ok. Only a guess though.

an amazing likeness

From the write-up of this past weekend's Maine Marathon regarding the second place M finisher:

"...Satterfield, 46, only started running seven years ago as a training partner for his son...Daughter...chased her father around the course on an e-bike Sunday morning, handing him a water bottle every two miles."

Hmmm

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.