Ice Baths? (Read 768 times)

Anybody out there doing these? They hurt like hell! Evil grin But I def. feel better recovered the next day. Tried HTFU, but do ya think it might be a better idea to lay big freezer bags full of ice around on your legs and feet? That's what I'm planning next time. Or less ice....?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Golden Buff

I just use cold water and no ice for 15 to 20 minutes and that works well for me after long runs, especially if it is hot outside. It really does make a difference in how quickly I recover for my next run. I don't think I have HTFU enough to stand ice in the bath. The wife says I look funny enough as it is. Shocked
      Curt

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, it works, but it hurts... Try this: First you fill the tub with cold water and get in. That's hard enough. Then, when you get used to it, dump in the ice. You'll be able to tolerate it a lot longer. Just get ready for... SHRINKAGE!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

pRED. HTFU. Deal with it. I fill the bath with cold water. I add about a 20 lb bag of ice. It HURTS for a few minutes, then everything is numb. I usually go about 15 minutes in the bath. But Dude, you really only need one after a race of 30k or longer. Shorter than that and you just don't get enough inflammation to make it worthwhile.
            Hey Trent, I'm new to these 20 milers and they are hard on the muscles, joints and stuff. Might be my age or my newbieness? But I feel I need them to recover to run at work and home the next day. Heck, I have to run for 8 hours+ at work! But that has,I believe, helped to develop my aerobic capacity so quickly. I've got to do whatever is needed to bounce back; walk without pain, limping and stiffness. I'm taking some ibuprofen. What else can I do? She bought 5 ~ 8lb bags! That's what it was. Hell, my feet were seriously nearly frostbite, burning! Says I and US are FREAKS!!!...Freaks, I tell ya; whilst LHAO.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep, we are freaks. Freaks with shrinkage. Pardon me, I had not looked at your log. A 20 miler ought to earn you one Big grin
                I do an ice bath after a long run or long race. I get in the tub, turn the cold water on and let it get just above my thighs then add 15-20 lbs of ice. The shock isn't so bad like that.
                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                Scout7

This is just me, but I've never done one. I just keep moving, stretch some, and take a warm shower. YMMV.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have done a grand total of one ice bath in the past two years. I did them a whole lot more when I just was starting out with all this madness. The one I did was after that 42 miler, and I screwed up and turned the faucet on hot. A lot of the ice was melted before I realized my error, so it was a chilly bath rather than an ice bath. Yeah Scout, I am usually with you.

Go Pre!

Thi sis my fail proof method.... Get into an EMPTY tub, start the cold water. The gradual filling is easier to deal with. When it is covering your legs add a bag of ice. Stay 8-10 more minutes. Wear tight boxers, preferably bike shorts with a towel stuffed down there to blanket the boys.

Why is it sideways?

We used to do them after all of our long runs in college. We used little neoprene half-socks to keep our feet from hurting too badly (the feet hurt worse than "the boys"). I've got a friend who runs 100-120 a week in singles and he swears that the ice baths (4-5 times a week) are what allows him to do it without injury. Are you doing them in the bath tub? Another option is to use a large heavy plastic garbage can (fill with hose, use outdoors), particularly if you want to keep your boys out of the ice. MTA: Something like the short version of this would work well:
                          Yeah, it works, but it hurts... Try this: First you fill the tub with cold water and get in. That's hard enough. Then, when you get used to it, dump in the ice. You'll be able to tolerate it a lot longer. Just get ready for... SHRINKAGE!
                          My long runs are still only 4 miles (building up for a HM next March) but this is what I do also. Of course, I don't have to worry about any boys. Yes It does seem to help my legs feel much less tight the next day or two.
                          ---- Cynthia

I've used ice baths on occasion when I was in college and doing 85-120 miles per week, but was never a huge fan and I am not completely sold on them. I'm a much bigger fan of the ice massage.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I've only tried it a few times. It was really easy when there was snow on the ground. Just sit down and cover your legs with snow. Also early spring when the pool was uncovered but the water was still cold.
                                Also early spring when the pool was uncovered but the water was still cold.
                                This is the only method I've tried. It really helped reduce the soreness. I'm need to HTFU some more to try the actual ice bath thing.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?