The relationship of coffee consumption with mortality. (Read 734 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18559841 The relationship of coffee consumption with mortality. Lopez-Garcia E, van Dam RM, Li TY, Rodriguez-Artalejo F, Hu FB. Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachussetts, USA. esther.lopez@uam.es BACKGROUND: Coffee consumption has been linked to various beneficial and detrimental health effects, but data on its relation with mortality are sparse. OBJECTIVE: To assess the association between coffee consumption and mortality from cardiovascular disease (CVD), cancer, and all causes during 18 years of follow-up in men and 24 years of follow-up in women. DESIGN: Sex-specific Cox proportional hazard models were used to investigate the association between coffee consumption and incidence of all-cause and disease-specific mortality in a prospective cohort study. SETTING: Health Professionals Follow-up Study and Nurses' Health Study. PARTICIPANTS: 41,736 men and 86,214 women with no history of CVD or cancer at baseline. MEASUREMENTS: Coffee consumption was assessed first in 1986 for men and in 1980 for women and then every 2 to 4 years through 2004. Investigators documented 6888 deaths (2049 due to CVD and 2491 due to cancer) among men and 11,095 deaths (2368 due to CVD and 5011 due to cancer) among women. RESULTS: After adjustment for age, smoking, and other CVD and cancer risk factors, the relative risks for all-cause mortality in men across categories of coffee consumption (<1>or=6 cups per day) were 1.0, 1.07 (95% CI, 0.99 to 1.16), 1.02 (CI, 0.95 to 1.11), 0.97 (CI, 0.89 to 1.05), 0.93 (CI, 0.81 to 1.07), and 0.80 (CI, 0.62 to 1.04), respectively (P for trend = 0.008). For women, the relative risks were 1.0, 0.98 (CI, 0.91 to 1.05), 0.93 (CI, 0.87 to 0.98), 0.82 (CI, 0.77 to 0.87), 0.74 (CI, 0.68 to 0.81), and 0.83 (CI, 0.73 to 0.95), respectively (P for trend < 0.001).="" this="" inverse="" association="" was="" mainly="" due="" to="" a="" moderately="" reduced="" risk="" for="" cvd="" mortality="" and="" was="" independent="" of="" caffeine="" intake.="" by="" contrast,="" coffee="" consumption="" was="" not="" statistically="" significantly="" associated="" with="" risk="" for="" cancer="" death="" after="" adjustment="" for="" potential="" confounders.="" decaffeinated="" coffee="" consumption="" was="" associated="" with="" a="" small="" reduction="" in="" all-cause="" and="" cvd="" mortality.="" />LIMITATION: Coffee consumption was estimated from self-report; thus, some measurement error is inevitable. CONCLUSION: Regular coffee consumption was not associated with an increased mortality rate in either men or women. The possibility of a modest benefit of coffee consumption on all-cause and CVD mortality needs to be further investigated. Also, http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/148/12/I-40</1>
    Scout7

Fact: 100% of people who drink coffee die.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but which 100%? - or - Exactly, which is why it was not associated with an increase.
        JakeKnight

Fact: 100% of people who drink coffee die.
          True. But they're very alert when it happens. Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

De-slacking in progress

100% of people who prevent me from my morning cup of coffee die Tax dollars at work. Must had been some good B.S. job to convince someone to pay for that study

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

100% of people who prevent me from my morning cup of coffee die
              POD.
                As your friendly local undertaker, I just want to comment that death is the number one killer in America.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen