Garmin in the rain (Read 815 times)

On my long run yesterday, I got caught in the rain. No big deal but my Garmin 305 is not responding to any buttons or charging anymore. I can turn it on again by holding the mode and reset button, but then it turns on and I can't do anything else with it. Shouldn't they be able to handle a bit of rain? Anyone else have this problem? I have e-mailed Garmin, but thought I would ask your opinion. Thank you!

Mine is normally fine out in the rain, but a few months ago I got some water beneath the display and any time I got it wet (even a light drizzle) then the inside of it would flood. It led to not being able to get things to download, battery not lasting, etc etc. I opened a support ticket, shipped my 305 back to garmin, a week later they'd shipped me a refurbed one and this one has no trouble in the rain and works quite well. Their customer support is pretty good, and since they just swap it out the turn around time is very fast. (I had to ship from Maine to Kansas, I think? And then they had to ship back.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought for sure this would be about the 405.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I did too. But mostly, I just wanted to post an obscure reference to something else you should not leave in the rain: cake.

I've ruined two in the rain... they are definitely not rainproof. If it's under warranty they will promptly replace it... their customer service is great. I think they get a lot of practice.
              I guess I've been lucky. I've had my 205 out in all kinds of weather, including a very steady rain yesterday for 2 hours. No problems to date.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Imminent Catastrophe

I did too. But mostly, I just wanted to post an obscure reference to something else you should not leave in the rain: cake.
                <obscure> Are you sure you aren't middle aged? </obscure>

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

If I was truly Middle Age, I would write like Chaucer. And you'd hate that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I was truly Middle Age, I would write like Chaucer. And you'd hate that.
                    Are you kidding me?! The Miller's Tale is the most awesomest thing EVER!!! Fart humor was great even a few hundred years ago. Big grin As for the OP, yeah, my 305 has gotten fogged under the display a bit when I've run in the rain. One would think that a device designed to be worn on a sweaty wrist under potentially rainy conditions could handle a little rain. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Chaucer. Isn't that one of your avatars?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chaucer. Isn't that one of your avatars?
                        Who, me...?

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Zoomie, Not you but I can chalk that up to "taper madness". BTW did you realize that your marathon is less than a week away? I just thought I'd remind you, in case you had forgotten. Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*kicks Russ in the nuts* Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Surprised

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, my kid's mean boxing skills are rubbing off on me. He has discovered while playing Wii boxing that he can whack his trainer in the nads. Little stinker giggles all the while. Boys... Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay