Cincinnati Flying Pig (Read 177 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just jumped in at the last minute, driving up tomorrow. Weather looks pretty nice.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Amannrunner

I'll be there for my first half! Driving up today to hang out all weekend. So excited!

What a great weekend.

I ran a 5:36 mile on Friday night but I got chicked by a 13 year old Very talented young lady.

And these guys beat me too. http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130502/SPT/130502048  While wearing leather straps for shoes. #respect.

My wife did an awesome job completing her leg of the relay (in her first ever race) while the kids and I cheered her on. the kids and I ate donuts while watching the marathoners.  Pretty sweet Sunday morning. 

Nice job Flying Pigs. 

nothing to see here.  

This happy penguin had a marvelous race!  not the sub-2:30 I was looking for (2:30:46) but still 8 minutes faster than my last years Half.  Felt strong all the way through and finished strong!  Big grin

Tammarin.....

Savoir c'est pouvoir

I hope everyone had a good race and a good time this weekend. The Pig really goes all out to showcase Cincinnati's running culture And I couldn't be prouder.  Joe, I believe that was Hayley Meyer in the 5k. At 13, she was running her 100th 5k that morning. I was taking photos of her finishing so I probably got you coming in also.

Saturday saw my two younger boys running their events. My 9y.o. Finished his first 5k in under 29 minutes while my 12 y.o. ran the final mile in the Flying Pig kids marathon. Both had really good runs. We capped off the day by walking through the expo.

My oldest (15) and I lined up Sunday morning for the full/half start. That sunrise was amazing! The plan was to run 7min miles together until the 1/2 and full split at 8.5 miles. We started out a little under by following the 1:30 half pace group.  We got about 2 miles in and I was trying to hold back my pace while he was still hanging with the group. At that point I told him that if he wanted to go with them, he should go but that I shouldn't be going that fast. He decided to go on and run his own race, as he should.

He ended up leaving the pace group on the climb up to Eden Park and hit some fast downhill back toward the finish (6:02 was his last mile) to come in just over 1:26. I somehow got locked on a pace and tried to convince myself that I needed to slow down but it wasn't happening and by mile 23 felt I could hold on for another 5k. That allowed me to finish just under 3 hours with a 2 second PR.

Run Strong!

pae

I had a great time at the Pig this weekend.  I ran the 4-way, and enjoyed every mile of the journey.  I'd definitely like to come back here in the future.

Olivia Connaughton, was the girls name listed in the results with a 5:24.  

and these guys "shoes" are awesome.  can't imaging running all those miles in them.  What a story.  

shoes

nothing to see here.  

npaden

I had a great time at the Pig for my first marathon.

I had been so concerned about the hills and trained with a lot of hill work and was kind of surprised when we got to the top of the climb so easily.  I kept hearing about a hill on 15 and 19 as well, but never did seem to notice them.  I think the hill work in training really paid off.

The 3:50 pace group did a great job and I followed them through about mile 19 and then  went on ahead.

Ended up with a 3:48:09 which I am VERY happy with.

Weather was very close to perfect, just when I was starting to get a little warm the light rain started about mile 20.

Very pretty course and the spectators were awesome!

Still haven't gotten my Race Report written up, I may link it here when I end up getting it done.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

lilcat19

I had a great weekend. This was my 3rd pig in a row and I love this race. Like was said earlier, the city of Cincinnati does an amazing job putting this on and the support that the people along the course give is just amazing. I think that this has to be one of the best marathons in the country (though, I haven't really done too many other races).

The weather wasn't ideal but it wasn't horrible. Last year it was 80 degrees when I finished so I'll take 50-60's with some rain at the finish. Didn't start raining for me until mile 18-19ish. It wasn't bad, didn't start getting into my eyes until mile 25.

I had BY FAR my best marathon ever. I PR'd big time with a 4:38:01 watch time (I don't count bathroom stops in my time that I record). My previous PR was last year's pig at 5:21:10. I'll take cutting 43 minutes off of my PR. I didn't have to walk until mile 20 when my IT band just became too painful and I needed to shake out my legs. My goal was 4:20, but I will take 4:38.

I got a little emotional at the 26 mile marker. Knowing that I did something that I previously thought I could never do, break 5 hours, was a great feeling. Mix that with fatigue and sadness of it being over and you get my emotions that I was feeling. I hate the days after a marathon. All the training and preparation that you put into it, and its over just like that. You feel purposeless. But, alas, that is what keeps me coming back for more Smile

I ran today, probably a little too soon, but I didn't feel bad. First few steps were excruciating but legs loosened up and was able to get in a good 3 mile run. Legs feel a lot better now, still hurt but not as stiff.

I hope that everyone else that was there this weekend had a great race!

Cntrygal

I was there!  I had registered for the 3-way last fall, and then had a major ankle/tibia injury that sidelined me for the winter and the majority of the spring.  So, I went with the intention of walk/run the 10K and see how I felt... then I did the same with the 5K.... and then the HM....  I took my time and had a blast!  My leg held up fantastically, with very moderate aching post-runs.

What a way to kick off my "return to running"!

npaden

Finally got my race report finished if anyone wants to read it.  It's a novel.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/647ef8c8d2df40f2bdae1c741b00009e#focus

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)