15K Training help? (Read 33 times)

elodie.kaye

Hi everyone, longtime lurker, sometime poster, first time asking for advice.

I ran the Angus Glen 10M this morning in a time of 88:35. It's a hilly course, and this year a lot of mud, puddles and rough dirt paths. About a third of it was more XC than road race, which was awesome fun! On a tamer course I would've run pretty close to my 10M time from last fall (86:40) I think. Given the winter from hell, I'm okay with where I am, but I want to get 77 for a 15K on Jun 8. I realise my goal may be beyond my reach. I won't be crushed if I don't get there, but I think there's room to improve on the equivalent performance from last fall.

So far this cycle, I've done very minimal interval work, just 3-5min. fartleks, but 60 mpw since Feb, long runs up to 25K and weekly threshold workouts 20-40min. total at 10K-HMP. The main difference from last fall to this spring is track workouts (There's a track under there?) and more long progression runs. Last year, I was on the edge of injury for almost a month and went over during the 10M race. This year, I want a little more recovery between hard days, so I won't add as many of both long progressions and intervals. I figure I'll need to touch up the tempos every 12-15days, they seem to have plateaued for the time being. Should I emphasise 15-20K progression runs or speed? If speed, what track workouts would be best?