Insomnia (Read 771 times)

Does anyone else have trouble napping after a long run? It would feel so good to sleep for 30 minutes and I can never settle down. The best I can do is an hour of quiet time and I struggle to make it through the afternoon and early evening to bedtime. I also had trouble last night. I ran a 5K and woke up from about 1:30 - 3:30 am. Do I have some adrenaline or cortisol keeping me awake? Do I need to drink some milk before bed? Otherwise, I don't have any sleep problems. Dana

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
    5K 23.99
    10K 50.40
    1/2 1:52
    Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
    Make healthy food choices

The voice of mile 18

I do a lot of workouts later at night and have problems turning my mind off to go to sleep. you can try yoga or meditation if that fails try jumping your partners bones that always seems to help me

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'm currently flying solo so I need some options that are more easily obtained - like a quart of milk.

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
        5K 23.99
        10K 50.40
        1/2 1:52
        Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
        Make healthy food choices

A Saucy Wench

I usually do not sleep well if I run after about 4-5 pm. I prefer morning workouts for that very reason. Sometimes I nap after a long run, sometimes not. I dont lie down and attempt it until I am just struggling to keep my eyes open. Even then I usually nap for only 5-10 min. I wouldnt try to nap after a long run - if you cant you cant. Its a good time to settle in with a book or a baseball game though Big grin Evening stuff - if it is only happening after races I would try relaxation techniques or maybe a cool shower. Milk never did squat for me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My suggestion? Eat. I usually do 4 slices of toast with peanut butter and 8oz of skim milk with extra bovine growth hormone.

Vim

I'm currently flying solo so I need some options that are more easily obtained...
              Photobucket
              Brandon
              jeffdonahue

Sorry, no sympathy for someone who actually has opportunity to take a nap at any given time during any given day - just doesnt happen around here.
                  I do a lot of workouts later at night and have problems turning my mind off to go to sleep. you can try yoga or meditation if that fails try jumping your partners bones that always seems to help me
                  Your last suggestion works well for my husband but unfortunatley has the opposite effect on me!!! Last Tuesday I had a tough workout of a 10 mile run and then trainer. My daughter is also up once a night with nightmares. I was awake from 1:30-4:30. Frustrating!!! Extra hard workouts most certainly do have a negative effect on my sleep. Wish I had the answer.
                  Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
                    cant sleep clowns will eat me. evil things. cooldown take a shower and watch golf zzzzzzzzz
                      noteye - Lol Clowning around I've always found that eating something, even if it is a handful of grapes RIGHT before I crawl into bed helps me fall asleep very quickly and stay asleep. Maybe it is mental, but I don't sleep well if I haven't eaten within the last couple of hours.
                      Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.

Non ducor, duco.

My suggestion? Eat. I usually do 4 slices of toast with peanut butter and 8oz of skim milk with extra bovine growth hormone.
                        Dude.
                          If you can't sleep, start reading stuff here, it almost always makes me nod off.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I am awake now-

left-right-left-right-repeat