running streak? how long... (Read 852 times)

I have been reading once a runner and it has me thinking about alot of things... but one is that there are empty days in my running log. I have been thinking quite a bit about a running streak. Sometimes I get these ideas squirling in my head. Fantasy... However in reading a description on this site recently, one person describe the decision/realization that they wanted to train from a marathon as something they realized must be done. Almost as if it wasn't a choice. I am beginning to think that this is inevitable? So perhaps in June some time I will embark upon a running streak. I may limit myself the first time to some thing reasonable... like just finding my record of the most # of days in a row then break it... take day or two rest then repeat... until I hit a solid month without a missed day... Ok so just curious how many folks have running streaks and intersted in folks ideas on the pros/cons of such an endevor.

Half Fanatic #846

Well, I've heard of people who had pretty long running streaks - anywhere from a few weeks to several years of running every day. Seems like there should be a minimum, like 2 miles a day for example but I don't know of any rules...it'd be too easy to run a lot less than that. There's probably a club somewhere that keeps track of such things Smile Maybe someone else has more info... Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Have you checked out the Mile a Day user group? http://www.runningahead.com/groups/mileaday
        Jayr

You should do a search on runners world.... Or maybe running times; I know I saw an acticle in there about a year ago on a guy who had a really long sreak. If i'm not mistaken he was in his 50's and has run every day at least 1 mile for years. Very interesting. Smile I guess pro's would be obvioulsy self accomplishment and fortitude. Con's could be lure.... Running becomes such a part of your makeup to begin with; I don't know if i would enjoy the "ride" so to speak of a streak. Let's face it someday's there is so much going on with "life", a day off is well deserved.

The Greatest of All Time

I have known several people that did it for a few years and they all had a two mile per day minimum. Have fun with it.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

My DH had an 8 year 7 month (and some change that I can't remember) streak. His minimum was 3 miles. The thing he always said was that it trained him to run no matter how he felt. One time when he ran Boston it was 30 degrees with sleet and he had been puking for the two days before. He got through it in 3:23 because he had done it so many other times with equal or worse conditions. Of course, he expected to run in 2:50 but the illness slowed him down. Anyway, I think it is a great thing so good luck if you do it!
                My DH had an 8 year 7 month (and some change that I can't remember) streak. His minimum was 3 miles. The thing he always said was that it trained him to run no matter how he felt. One time when he ran Boston it was 30 degrees with sleet and he had been puking for the two days before. He got through it in 3:23 because he had done it so many other times with equal or worse conditions. Of course, he expected to run in 2:50 but the illness slowed him down. Anyway, I think it is a great thing so good luck if you do it!
                WOW! How'd the streak stop?

Vim

Non ducor, duco.

He did an executive MBA program while working a 60 hour a week super-high stress job. The combination of the two kicked his ass. It's sad really but now he bikes and wears funny shorts with diapers in them.

El Presidente

As of this morning, I have now run for 63 straight days. Compared to some of the other streaks, that's not much but I have found that it helps get me out of bed and out the door in the early mornings. I also have a 3-mile minimum as anything less than that really isn't a run, in my opinion.

"I train conservatively so that I can race recklessly."

Nev

Check out Dr Ron Hill MBE - now thats what you call a running streak ! Scroll to the bottom of his career summary. http://www.hillyclothing.co.uk/ron-hill.php
                        I find it definitely helps getting your runs in when doing it every day. When I used to run 4 or 5 days a week it was harder. If an event occurred, too much work, etc, I could always skip a run a day and tell myself I'll make up for it one of the rest days. And this didn't always happen. Right now, every day, if I'm not running, I'm either swimming, biking or cross-training some other way. It's easier for me to keep going with my training schedule because every morning I know I have to workout and get my stuff together, I just need to figure out what's the workout for the day rather than remember if there is a workout that day. It becomes part of your daily routine. - R
                        areesemd

He did an executive MBA program while working a 60 hour a week super-high stress job. The combination of the two kicked his ass. It's sad really but now he bikes and wears funny shorts with diapers in them.
                          That's good enough reason not to get an MBA. Actually, I have biking shorts, but that was a great sentence. Andy
                          jeffdonahue

I have been reading once a runner and it has me thinking about alot of things... but one is that there are empty days in my running log. I have been thinking quite a bit about a running streak. Sometimes I get these ideas squirling in my head. Fantasy... However in reading a description on this site recently, one person describe the decision/realization that they wanted to train from a marathon as something they realized must be done. Almost as if it wasn't a choice. I am beginning to think that this is inevitable? So perhaps in June some time I will embark upon a running streak. I may limit myself the first time to some thing reasonable... like just finding my record of the most # of days in a row then break it... take day or two rest then repeat... until I hit a solid month without a missed day... Ok so just curious how many folks have running streaks and intersted in folks ideas on the pros/cons of such an endevor.
                            There is a User group out there for us Streakers - come check it out at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/mileaday/ I personally am at about 128 days right now of straight running (which included running through the stomach flu last month - those were my hardest days) but we have one member who is pushing the two year mark. My initial goal is just to do it for one year and then kind of see what happens after that. As for the benefits, I actually find running to be easier. I never have the question of whether I am going ot get a workout in, it is just a matter of how many miles. I have two days a week that I run one mile only (those would have been rest days prior to streaking) and the rest are my longer days. Not sure if it is the streak completely (as I have also been doing more speedwork than I used to) but I dropped about 45 seconds off my 5K PR this year and PRed in the 10K and HM distances as well. Best of luck Jeff

I don't worry about running every day. With the kind of training that I do, I don't think that it would help me to reach my goals. I like to have at least 2 to 5 days of rest a month. Then again, I also do a lot of cross training and frequently work out multiple times per day. The streaks are impressive, no doubt, but I just can't see myself ever attempting one.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)