Glass City Marathon Race Report - Oops I did it Again (LONG) (Read 704 times)

Another Passion

To say this race was tough would be a severe understatement. Though the course may not be Monkey-esque, the polar opposite weather day from last year's race most certainly was. All of the runners finishing the full Sunday were awesome and that was an accomplishment in and of itself on that day. You were one of the best. I can attest to the fact that this was not an ideal day for a distance race as just being out in the heat handing out Gatorade exhausted me! Being at the 19.5 mile aid station, I saw people that I had the urge to pluck off the course they were beginning to look so badly. Then, driving back to the finish to meet up with you, Jeremy, and Mishka, it was like someone laid waste to the runners following you. They were laying in the grass on the sides of the road in what shade they could find, stretching out cramps from dehydration and physical exhaustion, or just walking like zombies trying to remember where they were going. So, congratulations on an excellent finishing time in wicked conditions. It was really great having met you and I look forward to inhaling your dust in some future races here in Michigan when you arrive.

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Congrats on a solid race, Dave, in what sounds like some pretty brutal conditions! Yikes.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Hail to The Victors!

You had one heck of a gutsy performance under crap conditions! Nice work!
        evanflein

Running with the Kenyans... I love it. The mind is a powerful thing, and it served you well here. Running marathons in the heat is always hard. I don't care how well you've trained or prepared. It just sucks it out of you. I think you ran a great race and placed in your AG! How cool is that? Enjoy the feeling, recover and rest up and aim for a cooler marathon to get a strong PR!
            Dave- great job man! I can only dream of 2nd in AG in a marathon. I'm glad you fared much better in the heat than I was able to. Congratulations!

Dave

Thanks, everyone. I've never placed in any race before, age group or otherwise, so I'm pretty happy with the result. Doesn't say much for the strength of the field though Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

.Consider running Grand Rapids in October. Great job - it was a brutal weekend for running. Thanks Sr. Lopez. You are a great Ambassador for the hometown gig. Would love to see RA'ers in town.
                March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)