distance/time logging-when does the timer stop? (Read 630 times)

Gotta TRI

Ok, I've now been running for 4 months and starting to get some distance, and starting to really feel good about it. My question is: ( and forgive my ignorance Blush)If I start with a light jog for x amt. of time or distance, and run for x amt. of time or distance, and then cool down/ walk for x amt. of distance when do I start/stop my timer? I ask because I track my runs and like to see what I'm getting for time ,dist. and pace. Obviously, a timed pace changes if I stop running and start walking, right? I don't want to sound totally stupid here, but here's a typical "easy" 4 miler for me. Tell me what you think. Starting at my house to the "top" of my road is usually a light jog for about .6 miles ( with a good size hill towards the end of that) then I gradually pick up the pace to a comfortable run for 4 miles usually ending with a sprint to the end, which leaves me with a .5 mile walk pretty much all uphill back to the house. Grand total loop-5 miles. total run-4. I use the bulk of this route for other runs including an 8-9 miler, butwould like to know how I should be timing/ recording this. Thanks guys for any and all input. Andy
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Just Be

How you time your runs is entirely up to you. There's no official way to time a casual run. I tend to only time my runs when I am running for x amount of time in any given heart rate range. When I start the run, I get to a pace that I know from experience will place my heart rate in the range I want it (about 30 seconds) then start the timer. Within 1 or 2 minutes, my heart rate is usually in the right range. Once I stop running and allow my heart rate to drop below the range I stop the timer.

Gotta TRI

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick to starting the timer after my 'warm-up" and stop at the end of my run. I just want to be consistent in how I'm recording any training. Thanks again, Andy
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Oh Mighty Wing

I start my timer after my warm up and stop it before my cool down. Others log the whole thing. It is really a matter of personal preference. Oh yeah I track distance too. I track both!

I log the entire thing because I want to know how long I have been on my feet. I used to only track the time ran and not the miles, but now I tend to track both. If I really want to know what the pace was for a specific part of a workout, then I will just hit the lap button. Then I'll have a piece of it that I can refer to that has just that time on it.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I also log the whole thing. I try never to stop my timer either (I think this was on the advice of someone here) because then I think I am way faster than I am. I use a Garmin so it's effective at showing easy jogs, etc at a glance, but even when I used a plain old Timex (waaaaaay back in the day, known as September) I just hit lap to time portions of the workout.
              2008 Goals
            • Run 1250 miles
            • Get down to 135!
            • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon

• Running safely

I do like Run To Win does. I time the whole thing but hit the lap counter on my watch to know the pace of the different parts of my run. Recently I have been running over to a friend's house and running with him. I time the first part (to his house) hit my lap timer when I get there. We usually stand around and stretch a talk a bit before we take off on the real run. I hit the lap timer and we run together. At the end of the run I hit the lap timer again and then stand around and talk some more before hitting the lap timer to start my final run portion to go home which is recorded as another lap. Of course you have to have a watch that records multiple laps. Mine does 50 laps and I can store several runs at a time. This way I know how fast/slow each of my three runs are.