Calf strain 5 weeks before marathon (Read 123 times)

andyashton

I'm running the NYC marathon on 11/2.  About a week ago I started getting a crampy feeling in my left calf, but it seemed to go away after a few miles of running.  This past Tuesday I did a 9 mile run, but found that I was hobbling through a good part of it, and went to see my PT and my sports Dr. that day.

The PT did some deep tissue work on my calf, and it seemed to feel better after that.  My Dr. prescribed some NSAIDs and said to lay off running for a few days, but that I could do my long run (20 miles) on Sunday.

Unfortunately, it is now Sunday and it still feels strained  I've decided to rest instead of running, and I'm not sure how to adjust my schedule from here on out.  On one hand I want to get back to training ASAP; this was supposed to be my peak, and instead I'm sitting on my butt.  On the other hand, if I come back to soon and reinjure it 2 weeks out, I'm in much worse shape.  I would really like to get in at least one 20 mile run before the race.  My longest so far is 18.  I was averaging 40 miles/week right before the injury.    If anyone has any suggestions for a strategy for completing my training, I'd greatly appreciate it.

[edit]: This is a different issue (other calf) than my previous post. That issue cleared up pretty quickly with some PT and a day off.

Buzz-

I went through a similar issue training in the spring.  First one calf, then the other.  Mine hit on a day when I was doing a relatively short run on some hills.  Very painful.

It sounds like you are describing the dreaded "calf heart attack."

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks?page=single

I went to a PT. Deep massage helped. Rest helped. Then it came right back.

They PT suggested a technique called dry needling. I wasn't thrilled about it but decided it was worth a try.  It was unpleasant to say the least. It was also very effective for me. I was able to run again within a few days.  I did take it easy.  Stayed off hills and generally worked back up to my longer runs.

I haven't had problems since, although I have had a few runs where they felt tight during or afterwards.  I'm really cautious now.  If I feel that crampy calf feeling, I immediately start to walk until it passes and then jog a little to see if it works out.  This is NOT something to just run through.

I do a full 5 minute warm up walk and cool down at the end of my runs. I started taking yoga to improve my flexibility and I think that is helping.

With only 5 weeks to go, I don't know if you have enough time (or interest) to work through dry needling.

I've had dry needling the last couple of weeks and, compared to stretching and massage alone (have kept up both), it has been nothing short of magical for me; I couldn't consider running before I had it and within 24 quite unpleasant hours of my first session of dry needling I was ok to start back running (I am run/walking at the moment but that's largely a confidence thing; was initially misdiagnosed and spent 4 weeks making my calf tear worse, so keen not to rush back too fast).

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

andyashton

Interesting, thanks for the tips.  I'm definitely feeling better day by day, but not back to running you.  45 minutes of pretty intense elliptical today was fine with no discomfort at all, but I could feel my calf when I tested it afterward on the treadmill, so I stopped right away.  I'm taking it day by day at this point.  I'll have to look into dry needling.

Trevorbonds

Mostly this type of pain happens to some people, I would say that may be in the starting till a person becomes habit of running, till that time it feels like crampy.

----------------

ventouse minceur