Midwesterner Racing at Elevation? (Read 98 times)

RandyP

I'm looking for a marathon to celebrate my 60th birthday August 26, 2017. I've found 5 races that day including one in Ashton, ID. It has an overall elevation drop of 900 ft. starting at over 6000ft. It has the potential to be the coolest of the 5 races. How difficult will it be for a runner from Illinois to go to the mountains and race. I'm not an experienced marathoner. I've run two with the most recent five years ago.

Daydreamer1

This question comes up from time to time on here and I'll chime in with the answer that I always give, but this time I'll shorten it a little.

It all depends on the individual. Some people will have some problems others have none. At 5000 - 6000 feet I will feel slightly short of breath for the first day. Other people think I'm crazy as they have no problems.

That being said if you're running between 5000-7000 feet your performance might suffer some but it's doubtful that you will have major problems with HAPE or HACE.  If you're not aware of what those are just google them, you'll get more info then I can give you.

Go, run slow, and enjoy the scenery. ID is beautiful.

Joann Y

You say the elevation drop is 900 ft. How much of it is going up?

MTA: Okay, I just looked it up. Mesa Falls? I live in Illinois and just went to Colorado for a week where I was running at 6000+ elevation for a few days. Flat running generally wasn't a problem, maybe just a little slower. Maybe. For me, any uphill immediately had me breathing pretty heavy. Downhills were fine, as you would expect. It looks like your marathon has only one hill of 300 ft over close to 3 miles. That doesn't sound too bad for that elevation. If it were me, I would feel comfortable doing that marathon and just have a plan of slowing down or even walking on the hill portion. I wouldn't try to set any time goals and just enjoy your birthday. I'm jealous. That looks like a really pretty coarse! I would go for it.

MMTA: I should add that I haven't run a marathon at altitude. Maybe other people would have another opinion.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would just add that you can disregard the 900 foot drop. It's insignificant. My experience was with the Colorado Marathon last year: Around 6000' at the start, and dropping over 1000'. I don't think the drop helped or hindered me significantly.  Altitude, as the others have said, might be an issue. If you're running just to finish, and not racing (and you are marathon-trained), you'll probably be alright.

Treat it as a long run at an easy pace in a beautiful place. It sounds like an awesome birthday run.

rlopez

I ran Mesa Falls back when I lived in Seattle at sea level. Literally 4 blocks from the ocean (or, well, puget sound, not quite 'ocean'). It is a fun race... the first 20 miles are beautiful.  Then, boom, flat potato land for the rest.

ANYWAY. You drop a lot in the first 17 miles, and then you climb climb climb to mile 20ish, potato land, flat.  Net/net, I think I was about 5 minutes slower in this race than normal, but I don't know how much of that was altitude and how much was the fact that the last 6 potato land miles were really hot.

I generally don't have altitude issues in the 4000-6000 range except that my heartrate spikes when I start running. As long as I don't get in my own head, I tend to calm down after 10 or 15 minutes.  But everyone is different.

You say the elevation drop is 900 ft. How much of it is going up?

MTA: Okay, I just looked it up. Mesa Falls? I live in Illinois and just went to Colorado for a week where I was running at 6000+ elevation for a few days. Flat running generally wasn't a problem, maybe just a little slower. Maybe. For me, any uphill immediately had me breathing pretty heavy. Downhills were fine, as you would expect. It looks like your marathon has only one hill of 300 ft over close to 3 miles. That doesn't sound too bad for that elevation. If it were me, I would feel comfortable doing that marathon and just have a plan of slowing down or even walking on the hill portion. I wouldn't try to set any time goals and just enjoy your birthday. I'm jealous. That looks like a really pretty coarse! I would go for it.

MMTA: I should add that I haven't run a marathon at altitude. Maybe other people would have another opinion.

You know what's pretty coarse?  Sandpaper!

I say!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Joann Y

You know what's pretty coarse?  Sandpaper!

I say!

Why, of coarse!

Feeling the growl again

I don't think most people would have issues at that elevation.  As long as you aren't going all out, I'd not expect any issues.  I notice a major difference starting around 8000ft.  Heart rate is higher than normal, but you're not maxing that out at marathon pace.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

RandyP

Thanks! I appreciate all the feedback. As a flatlander I've never done any real running at elevation and I knew there are runners here who could share their experience.  Looks like this race in Idaho is the one I will probably do. Think I'll go out 3-4 days early to acclimate and see some country I've never seen before.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks! I appreciate all the feedback. As a flatlander I've never done any real running at elevation and I knew there are runners here who could share their experience.  Looks like this race in Idaho is the one I will probably do. Think I'll go out 3-4 days early to acclimate and see some country I've never seen before.

Excellent plan.

fairweather

Fargo ND is by far the easiest marathon in the country. 3 laps and no elevation change

Twin cities is flat but has a nasty climb between 18-23 miles

Lincoln Ne is pretty flat and in the later part of the year.

Juno Alaska is very easy as well.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Lincoln Ne is pretty flat and in the later part of the year.

First Sunday in May. May 7 this year. Registration opens (and possibly closes) January 7.

RandyP

Thanks but this marathon is to celebrate my 60th birthday which is August 26, 2017. So I'm just researching events to be held on that day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was just making a correction to the post that implied that Lincoln Marathon was late in the year.

8/26 is my daughter's birthday!

I presume you are checking marathonguide.com?  Unfortunately, they don't have many dates out that far yet.