Seattle HM (Read 325 times)

JayMF

So I've signed up for the Seattle half-marathon on Nov 30th. This will be my first HM and the largest race I've been in - actually it will only be my 2nd race. Is anyone else planning on running this race? Anyone run it before and has any advice or information they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks!
    xor

I've done that half 4 times and the full 3 times (4th this year). The half is like the greatest hits version of the full... by that, I mean it is the most challenging miles of the full. All the hills. The biggest hills will be between M7 and M11, but it is up and down the whole way. Although it doesn't have huge numbers like, say, the Marine Corps Marathon, this half is quite crowded because of the width of the road, especially at first, plus two things: 1) you will catch the walkers... they went out early... and 2) they don't do any seeding/corraling, and people will line up all wonky. Luckily, because you are doing the half, you will get to the end in time to get actual food. All the half folks and their families wipe out the food. Anyone finishing after about 3:45 in the full gets slim pickins. They do a fine job with org stuff. The shirts have been most excellent for the past seven years. It has been the same shirt for the half and full. You will get a nice medal after the half. The expo is great. You will find plenty of parking in parking garages, surface lots, and on the streets race morning. That said, get there early. Street parking is free in Seattle on Sundays... surface lots are NOT free.

JayMF

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the race. I'm looking at the course maps on website - the elevation profiles always make the hills look small. But I do see the ones you're referring to. Should be fun!