Solar Cell Phone Chargers (Read 1459 times)

No run...need sleepy!

Anyone have any experience or recommendations?  I'm getting the impression that this type of product may still be young and not too practical.

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/3aw69se

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

He was asking for your experience/recommendation.

My experience amounts only to seeing a pretty cool looking one in use in 2007.  At least that means they're not all that new.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I have one, got it as a gift.  It's a POS and I would not recommend it.  Doesn't do shit.

It also came with a solar flashlight, which works fine but I wonder how long until the battery just doesn't recharge anymore, since it is kept constantly in the sun (well, during the daylight hours) and rarely, if ever, used in the dark. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

He was asking for your experience/recommendation.

My experience amounts only to seeing a pretty cool looking one in use in 2007.  At least that means they're not all that new.

that is my only experience.   It's Friday and I'm getting slap happy...

No run...need sleepy!

yeah...wow...that's super helpful.

Before I posted I did search and found the reviews to be pretty universally bad.  That's how I formed the impression I originally mentioned.

No run...need sleepy!

I have one, got it as a gift.  It's a POS and I would not recommend it.  Doesn't do shit.

It also came with a solar flashlight, which works fine but I wonder how long until the battery just doesn't recharge anymore, since it is kept constantly in the sun (well, during the daylight hours) and rarely, if ever, used in the dark. 

Thanks.  +1 bad review.

tomatolover

Ever thought of the wind-up kinds?  The tech teacher i work with has her kids making these generators, but they're also for sale...cool idea

http://www.thetravelinsider.com/roadwarriorcontent/sidewinder.htm

Kalsarikännit

I just bought a Solio Rocksta to use whe I hop on the AT next week (which is ridiculous because the AT is know as the "green tunnel" for good reason).  I had a crappy, cheap one years ago, and I discovered that you get what you pay for.  I am hoping that this one will be better.  So far I like the design of this one because it is built to withstand being dropped and it has a carabiner attached, so it ca be hooked right onto a pack.  I will report in a couple of weeks how it worked.

Android Solio Rocsta

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Human Edge Tech makes the best stuff. When I was in Pakistan climbing a mountain I used a Feather 20Watt and it charged my iPhone 3G in about an hour, that's faster than when I plug it into the wall. You could probably get away with a 5W. Also, be sure that you have a connector from the solar panel to the cell phone that works, it sounds simple, but more than one person has dropped hundreds of dollars and didn't test the system out and find that they needed a $12 connector from Best Buy in addition to the solar panel because their computer/wall adapter did not work.

http://www.humanedgetech.com/shop/home.php?cat=4

Ever thought of the wind-up kinds?  The tech teacher i work with has her kids making these generators, but they're also for sale...cool idea

http://www.thetravelinsider.com/roadwarriorcontent/sidewinder.htm

Isn't child labour illegal now-a-days?

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Lost power on Monday (got it back yesterday). Happened to go to Costco (Schaumburg) and there was a guy selling Goal Zero solar stuff.

I got a Nomad 7 solar panel and Rock Out portable speaker for $80 (plus tax). The Nomad 7 solar panel itself was $64 I think.

In full sun, it did charge up my Samsung Fascinate. Also worked with my old iPhone 3g. 

I think the Goal Zero stuff will be there until Sunday.

Not sure if I'm going to keep this or not. I think it would be good if I were a camper/hiker but I don't really go outside that much.

Wondering why anyone would need a solar powered phone charger on the AT (most of it) or on the top of some mountain in Pakistan (???)

If you can't get a signal, what's the use?

Jeff

Wondering why anyone would need a solar powered phone charger on the AT (most of it) or on the top of some mountain in Pakistan (???)

If you can't get a signal, what's the use?

A IPhone without a signal is still a media player.   

Hawt and sexy

Yo! Fellow Cub fan! How did the Solio work out? I got my own piece of the AT to conquer this year. Wink

I'm touching your pants.