Strained lower abs from too much LSD? (Read 293 times)

Latent Runner

Hey Gang,

Prior to this last Sunday I've been running roughly 200 to 250 miles per month for just over a year, and have gotten in pretty good shape, or so I thought.  On Sunday I did a 10-Mile trail run with my wife, and then a few hours later I was feeling restless and hit the trail for another 12.  That evening I decided to use Sunday's 22 miles as a base to attempt my first 100 mile week, something I've wanted to do since high school in the early to mid 1970s.

Monday and Tuesday I did 16 trail miles each day, and by Wednesday morning I was feeling like I had a minor pulled lower ab muscle, and given Wednesday was the second day in a row with a heat index up in the high 90s, I opted for only 10 miles on my local trail.  Yesterday I did 5 miles on the roads with my company running team, and then hit the trail after work for another ten or so; ended up doing another 16 because the weather was so (relatively) cool (heat index in the low 80s).

As of now my legs and the rest of my body feel pretty strong and loose, however, my lower abs are somewhat more painful than they were Wednesday morning; not so much that I'll not be able to run tonight (another 16 mile romp on the trail will give me a 6-day total of 101 miles), but painful none-the-less.  Have any of y'all ever experienced a lower ab strain brought on by lots of LSD?

Regards,

Shipo

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Were you wearing a hydration belt?

Liz

pace sera, sera

no, never

Latent Runner

Were you wearing a hydration belt?

Nope; good thought though.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

This is a constant struggle for me. The more I run, the weaker my lower abs get. It is almost like my body is stealing energy resources from that area to feed my legs. I usually have to roll out of bed because I cant do a sit up. I also have trouble with psoas weakness and pain. Unfortunately I have not found a solution yet.

Latent Runner

This is a constant struggle for me. The more I run, the weaker my lower abs get. It is almost like my body is stealing energy resources from that area to feed my legs. I usually have to roll out of bed because I cant do a sit up. I also have trouble with psoas weakness and pain. Unfortunately I have not found a solution yet.

Thanks for the input (not that I'm necessarily encouraged by the message).

Fat old man PRs:

Wing

Joggaholic

My lower ab is the first to complain if I over-do my long runs. I don't have a solution, the soreness just goes away after a few days of easy running.

FSBD

I've woken up with sore abs many times after too much LSD.  But there was probably a lot of hippy dancing and giggling that led to the issue.  It went away after a day or two though so it was nothing to be too concerned about.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Latent Runner

Thanks folks, I'm planning on 16 nice and slow miles tonight, and probably another 10 (my normal daily distance) tomorrow and Sunday with my wife.  Next week I'm helping my son transfer from NAS Pensacola to NAS Lemoore (can you say, "Road Trip!") in his Mazda Miata, so I'll have plenty of chance to let it heal.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Could it be your bladder?  Sometimes I feel tenderness in my lower abs from running but in my case it is my bladder.  Congratulations on your 101 mile week!!!  That is huge, and not easy to do.  And make sure you scale back to recover (I'm sure you already know this).  I did a 100 mile week in June and gave myself a shin splint in one leg and have been sidelined for weeks now.

Leah, mother of dogs

Latent Runner

Could it be your bladder?  Sometimes I feel tenderness in my lower abs from running but in my case it is my bladder.  Congratulations on your 101 mile week!!!  That is huge, and not easy to do.  And make sure you scale back to recover (I'm sure you already know this).  I did a 100 mile week in June and gave myself a shin splint in one leg and have been sidelined for weeks now.

I did initially consider whether I have a bladder issue, but I've kind of ruled that out if for no other reason than the sensations seem biased more toward my left hip; that and after one of my 10-mile "easy" days the mild discomfort I feel seems to be lessened.

As for my 101 mile week; thanks, but I haven't gotten there just yet.  My plan had been to run 16 again last night, which would have given me 101 miles in six days, however, I had to work late and it was already getting dark on the trail when I turned around after only 5 miles.  Had I run the full distance I would have finished well after dark, and I didn't have my headlight with me.  As things stand right now I've got 95.4 miles in the log for this week with today's run yet to do.  I'll report back later.

Bummer on the shin splint from your 100 mile week, but congratulations none-the-less; hopefully you're getting ready to get back out there.  Did you do the century as part of a training plan, or are you like me in that it's always something you've wanted to do, just because?  In my case, a runner on a different high school cross country team back in 1974 shared with me his entire team attended a week long running camp where they did over 100 miles split up into double sessions per day.  I've wanted to do it ever since.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Latent Runner

Just prior to heading out for my last run of the 7-day period, my wife changed a few of her plans and wanted to go and do some sight seeing; I abbreviated my run to 6.6 miles which gives me exactly 102 on the week.  Today is only 6 weeks shy of the day 40 years ago when I decided doing 100 miles in a week might be something cool to do.  Better late than never.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Not dead. Yet.

Why is your log private?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Shipo, I am like you and only wanted to do the 100 mile week "because it was there."  Congrats!!  Splitting your runs was a smart way to do it, that's how I did it too.

I am most definitely planning on getting back to running.  I tried to just walk fast as a workout, but it still hurt my shin.  So I have been mountain biking 15 - 20 miles a day instead.  I enjoy biking so it hasn't been as much of a hardship to give up on running (temporarily) as I had expected.  I have only just now gotten to the point where my shin doesn't hurt when I walk around, so I think in another couple weeks I will try a five minute run and see what happens.

Leah, mother of dogs

Latent Runner

Why is your log private?

Log?  I don't believe I have a log; what am I missing?  Are you saying I inadvertently started a log here on RA?

FWIW, I've been logging my running on a spreadsheet since, something like 1990, and with the exception of a company sponsored web site which gives me a significant credit toward my healthcare costs if I log my activity, I don't use online tools for logging.

Fat old man PRs: