Pftizinger races (Read 112 times)

Sunflower747

Those that have followed the Pfitzinger scheuldes how have you incorporated the races and long runs into the schedules for races that fell on Sundays. Those that are not familiar with the schedules they have a 8-10k tune up race Saturday then long run Sunday (17-18 miles) but most races in my area fall on Sundays.

I'm toward the end of the schedule so this would be 2 weeks before my goal marathon.  Basically the only options I can think of are:

1.) Incorporate the Sunday 10k into a 17 mile run.  Do some miles before and after.

2.) Do the 17 mile run on Monday then take rest day Tuesday

3.) Do the 17 mile run on Saturday then 10k race Sunday

I am thinking maybe 1 or 2 would be best.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think option 2 would be best if you’ve got the time to run a 17 miler on Monday and been sticking to the plan. Option 1 can definitely work as well...but forget about option 3!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I don't follow Pfitz but I have run a 10k as part of a LR.  (Warmup of 3 miles, which was getting to the race, then the race, then extra miles.) It's hard!  But it's doable, and I agree it makes more sense than running the LR the day before the race, because you'll be too fatigued to give the race a good effort.

Full disclaimer, I'm no training expert but I've run a bunch of marathons & done a few Pfitz cycles.

I think option 1 & 3 essentially have the same problem of not giving you the intended effect of either the race or the LR.

(MTA: Ilana is a much more reliable source of advice than me, so if she says #1 is OK, then it is. I still probably wouldn't do it.)

My 3 options would be:

1. Your option 2

2. Skip the race and run a 10k time trial on Saturday

3. If you are dead set on this particular race, and have been sticking to the plan, don't worry about it too much. Missing one workout won't kill you. Maybe run 8-10 easy on Saturday, and have a bit longer warmup/cooldown than usual on Sunday.

Dave

mikeymike

I've done 1 and 3. Either is fine.

Unless it's one of those Monday holiday deals, 2 would never work for me.

Runners run

Joann Y

I don't follow Pfitz but I have run a 10k as part of a LR.  (Warmup of 3 miles, which was getting to the race, then the race, then extra miles.) It's hard!  But it's doable, and I agree it makes more sense than running the LR the day before the race, because you'll be too fatigued to give the race a good effort.

This is what I would do (option 1).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Option 3 was fine for you?  Probably not fine or abvisable for most runners.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mikeymike

Why not?

Runners run

this for me as well

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Also remember that one session is not going to make much of a difference.  If you have been really good about following the program, it is consistency that gives the results.   i wouldn't worry about it and just do your long run.  If you are hell bent then you can doing any of the options.  We are talking a grain of sand on the beach.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Why not?

Racing a 10k the day after a long run just isn’t smart, especially 2 weeks before a marathon.

Higher risk of injury and it wouldn’t be a true race predictor effort.

Racing a 10k the day after a long run just isn’t smart, especially 2 weeks before a marathon.

Higher risk of injury and it wouldn’t be a true race predictor effort.

Yes, I would not race a 10K the day after a long run being 2 weeks out or really not a good thing to do any time.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

paul2432

I like DavePNW's suggestion (skip the race, and do a time trial on Saturday) with one caveat.  If I felt like I was in 10K PR shape and didn't expect to be in this same shape again, then I might consider doing the race on Sunday.

Also agree with DKG - it doesn't really matter that much what you do (as long as you don't hurt yourself).

Which Pfitz plan are you following?

mikeymike

I don't know of any data to support the notion that doing a race the day after a long run carries more risk of injury than doing it the other way around. "Injury risk" is just one of those things people default to on running message boards when they don't know what else to say. And race prediction isn't the primary motivation for doing a race in marathon training.

I've found it valuable mentally and physically to have to push through the fatigue and sluggishness and give a max effort. Of course you'll probably be a little slower the day after a long run than you would have been the day before, but maybe not as much as you think--and that in itself can be a big confidence boost going into a goal race.

Runners run

slingrunner

I'd suggest (and have done myself) #2.  I find #3 to be a stupid idea and probably even dumber than skipping both of the two runs.

In terms of #1, a lot depends on the purpose for your run.  I'm at the point in my running career where I don't need 3 tuneup races to not get nervous as pfitz talks about, but I find the data from my 10Ks to be very helpful for setting my pace for the marathon.  If you feel that you've already had a race or two that told you what you needed to know, I'd be more inclined to try #1, and treating it more like a tempo run.  But #2 is ideal, and I'd be comfortable pushing that long run back to Tuesday also if your scheduled is inflexible.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)