Does Triathlon discrminate against runners? (Read 335 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Some interesting commentary and discussion about the bike and the run, but I notice nobody in mentioning the swim and how it fits into the plan...

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Some interesting commentary and discussion about the bike and the run, but I notice nobody in mentioning the swim and how it fits into the plan...

I swim mid pack (+/- 1:20:00).

Elites swim sub 0:55:00. I could gain about 5 - 10 minutes, but the hours of swim training to gain that time would either (1) be added hours per week or (2) take away from hours I devote to Bike / run.

I go to the pool 2 times per week and swim about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours per week.

I have a job job and family and know that I won’t get to Kona by swimming more.  So I survive the swim mid pack.  I exit the water comfortable and treat the swim as a low heart rate / low effort warm up to a long day.

To get to Kona, the ball game is much different.  Top 2 or 3 in age group requires one to treat training as a job, and those individuals train the extra hours in the pool each week (and extra hours biking and running too).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

paul2432

If the sport discriminates against runners, it almost certainly discriminates against swimmers.  Interestingly, three of the sports greatest champions, Dave Scott, Mark Allen, and Paula Newby-Fraser all came to it not as cyclists or runners, but as swimmers first.

Another twist with swimming - great swimmers use far less energy than bad swimmers.  Developing good swim technique might only save you a few minutes on the swim, but not beating yourself up on the swim can save much more time on the bike and run (similar to not beating yourself up on the bike saves time on the run alluded to earlier).

delicate flower

Triathlon is the sport that runners evolve to. 

Heh...for me it was more peer pressure than anything else.  DW was a triathlete first and she (and her club) finally nagged me enough to join them.

My two cents, being still pretty new to the sport (only 2.5 years in) is that it actually favors strong runners, and that is accentuated the longer the triathlon.    I'm a mid-pack swimmer (worked my ass off to get there), top third biker, and top 10-15% runner.  My training focuses more on the run, as I believe some of that run fitness carries over to the bike, granted it is no substitute for saddle time.  I hold my own on the bike (2:35-2:45 for a HIM), and pass tons of people on the run.  I am certainly not the fastest runner on the planet and will never win any running races, but it is an awesome feeling to be getting stronger as the race progresses and to look forward to running.  A lot of triathletes struggle with the run, but I always say about my triathlons "Just get me to the run."

For the record, I've done four 70.3's (PR 5:13) and one 140.6 (12:07, with a 4:07 run).  I am doing my second 140.6 this year (Chattanooga) and will be looking to break 11 hours.

<3

delicate flower

The nice thing about swim training is that it's sort of its own thing and doesn't really feel too much of an impact from the running and biking.  While the running and biking need to be balanced and scheduled around one another, you can throw swims in pretty much whenever you want.  If your legs are hurting from a bike or run, you can always grab a pull buoy for a swim and take legs out of the equation.  I swim about 2500 yards a workout 4-5 days a week.  I try to do 10,000-12,000 yards a week.

<3

jingchunyu

any good runner/swimmer (but with little or no experience in fencing, horse riding, and shooting) ever tried modern pentathlon?

You don't have to hit targets in shooting and lose completely fencing to opponents. You can still win if opponents are lousy runners

But you do need to learn to ride a horse

Kalsarikännit

Triathlons discriminate against people who don't love blowing money.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

That’s funny😂

Village people

If the sport discriminates against runners, it almost certainly discriminates against swimmers.  Interestingly, three of the sports greatest champions, Dave Scott, Mark Allen, and Paula Newby-Fraser all came to it not as cyclists or runners, but as swimmers first.

Another twist with swimming - great swimmers use far less energy than bad swimmers.  Developing good swim technique might only save you a few minutes on the swim, but not beating yourself up on the swim can save much more time on the bike and run (similar to not beating yourself up on the bike saves time on the run alluded to earlier).

I have a friend who is a triathlete, she is also a swim coach. She usually places and often wins her races. Swimming is her dominant sport and having taken her classes I know she focuses on form. She knows her stuff! Her husband went to Kona last year but I am not sure where he excels.

kkittenkat

English Villian

I think that bike leg dominate the race.  If a runner is 10% faster than a cyclist in running  but 10 % slower in cycling, running would just give

him a roughly 2 minute advantage but lose at least 5 minutes in biking.  A triathlon is mainly for cycling with swimming as warmup and running as cooldown

I've won triathlons as an above average cyclist, but a very fit runner.
                      Huge psychological advantage as well if you're strong on the run.

jingchunyu

I've won triathlons as an above average cyclist, but a very fit runner.
                        Huge psychological advantage as well if you're strong on the run.

what is the meaning of "won triathlons"?  Does it mean No 1-2-3?

My son has won overall Ironman 70.3 and usually is in top 5 amateurs overall and top 1 or 2 in age group.  He spends the least time preparing for the swim.  He can hold his own, but focuses on bike and run.  He limits his run mileage somewhat due to injury risk, but really hammers his bike training.  I think he is pretty even in bike and run.  His final race of 2017 he did 4:14 - sub 30 swim, 2:15 bike and 1:26 run.  He's run 1:21 on a cooler day.    He tends to be top 10 off the bike and then move up in the run.  He's very attentive to his power output and nutrition, but conditions really can vary.    I think you have to be a really strong runner to place well, but the bike is the most important leg.  You have to be able to bike strongly but not use it all up on the bike.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

kkittenkat

English Villian

what is the meaning of "won triathlons"?  Does it mean No 1-2-3?

Um... Yes Smile

kkittenkat

English Villian

Triathlons discriminate against people who don't love blowing money.

Ha ha, you've not really informed yourself about the less well known branded triathlons have you?

Thanks for zero input of interest.

Muebele

cheaper brands are expensive also.  I don't know anywhere that dropping $1000 to $1500 on anything short of a house or a car is "cheap"