P90x (Read 6266 times)

Scout7

Well this gets back to your evil corporaations.  If it were you or me or a family-run business that was meant to be passed down to generations, this is exactly how it would work.  But in corporations, much like our political systems, people are short-timers and are willing to forego the long run for the short run.  They won't be there in the long run to see the consequences of the short term action anyway.  You, on the other hand, will be the one who lives with the consequences of your training plan, no one else. 

Well put.

eric :)

fix index

Imminent Catastrophe

Well this gets back to your evil corporaations.  If it were you or me or a family-run business that was meant to be passed down to generations, this is exactly how it would work.  But in corporations, much like our political systems, people are short-timers and are willing to forego the long run for the short run.  They won't be there in the long run to see the consequences of the short term action anyway.  You, on the other hand, will be the one who lives with the consequences of your training plan, no one else. 

And the execs of these corporations typically get a big part of their pay from bonuses or options, which in turn are tied to shot-term profits or stock price. So there's no incentive for them to think long-term. It's all about the next quarter, man!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I just did day 1, though actually jumped in on day 3(I planned to start monday but shipping got all skewed so I just received it Tuesday evening and I want my weeks to run Mon-sat).

It was the arms and shoulders day+ ab ripper. Man I'm so embarrased I couldn't finish the ab workout. Does anyone else find the abs ripper hard to do all the 25 reps?  Despite years of weight training and running this workout kicked my but.

My take on the diet plan. I was under the impression that, because most people using the program want to lose weight, you would HAVE to run a caloric deficit....I was wrong; in fact it encourages you to eat at maintenance. How one loses fat doing this is beyond my knowledge of diet and nutrition.  Will eating at maintenance and doing these workouts get me to my goal of sub 10% bodyfat? I seriously have my doubts, but......I have nothing else to do for 90 days so what they heck.

My thoughts on the supps. Well, after doing the calculations(RMR+ exercise) I have to eat 2100 calories and 50% of that being protein(for the first 30 days). The diet plan suggest 5 portions coming from lean meat......well, getting 262 grams in 5 portions of lean meat+ 2 servings of dairy and the little bit that comes in veggies?!  I'm no rocket scientists but that barly cracks 200 grams, even with high protein content meats. After I plugged the numbers into fitday.com I either have to 1) eat MORE than the suggested portions or 2) supplement. Of course P90X insists I supplment. I'm going to go with a middle of the road and increase my dairy to 3 servings and use 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrition whey per day. After 30 days and the diet goes to 40/40/20 the whey will be the first thing to go in place of additional carbs.

Jeff thanks for answering my PM's, I figured it out anywaysWink

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Intentionally Blank

Fastenoughforyou, tomorrow will be my rest day, and then the end of week 1.  I have been trying the nutrition part, but I am finding it close to impossible.  I can get about 1500 calories, and I feel like I am constantly eating.   I would like to be leaner, body fat % wise, but I don't need to lose any weight.  I don't want to eat meat all day long, and most vegaterian sources of protein also contain carbs.  I'm going to worry less about carbs and focus on eating clean and keep my fat low.  I am still running, so I feel like I am justified in having more carbs anyway.  For this first week, I did the workouts and ran a little less than 30 miles. 

And the abs thing kicked my butt, too.  The second session wasn't as bad, and the third was hard again.

Fastenoughforyou, tomorrow will be my rest day, and then the end of week 1.  I have been trying the nutrition part, but I am finding it close to impossible.  I can get about 1500 calories, and I feel like I am constantly eating.   I would like to be leaner, body fat % wise, but I don't need to lose any weight.  I don't want to eat meat all day long, and most vegaterian sources of protein also contain carbs.  I'm going to worry less about carbs and focus on eating clean and keep my fat low.  I am still running, so I feel like I am justified in having more carbs anyway.  For this first week, I did the workouts and ran a little less than 30 miles. 

And the abs thing kicked my butt, too.  The second session wasn't as bad, and the third was hard again.

I think the diet is important. IMHO the less fit(in terms of body composition) you are the more flexible you can be with the diet and expect to see results. Lean dieters are going to need to be more strict. I have done cyclical diets before many times. Getting a 50/30/20 split is very easy when you are running HUGE deficits. For instance getting 150 grams of protein to make up 50% of my diet is a lot easier than getting 250 grms for my 130 lb frame. p90X suggest I eat at maintenance+exercise which ups my daily calores making it hard to fill the protein quota without my diet looking imbalanced.  I can't see how anyone would lose weight?! The promise is that you will REPLACE body fat with lean mass. Bodybuilders have been trying this for decades yet the pro's are still stuck doing lenghy bulk/cut phases.

All I can is I'm gonna follow it to the letter. If I can replace 5 lbs of fat with stright lean mass I will not only endorse the program, I'll get P90X tatooted across my azz.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

I think the diet is important. IMHO the less fit(in terms of body composition) you are the more flexible you can be with the diet and expect to see results. Lean dieters are going to need to be more strict. I have done cyclical diets before many times. Getting a 50/30/20 split is very easy when you are running HUGE deficits. For instance getting 150 grams of protein to make up 50% of my diet is a lot easier than getting 250 grms for my 130 lb frame. p90X suggest I eat at maintenance+exercise which ups my daily calores making it hard to fill the protein quota without my diet looking imbalanced.  I can't see how anyone would lose weight?! The promise is that you will REPLACE body fat with lean mass. Bodybuilders have been trying this for decades yet the pro's are still stuck doing lenghy bulk/cut phases.

All I can is I'm gonna follow it to the letter. If I can replace 5 lbs of fat with stright lean mass I will not only endorse the program, I'll get P90X tatooted across my azz.

Try here for no nonsense info on nutrition. Yes he sells books but the free articles, reviews and forum are excellent sources of information.

MTA: The only folks that can add lean muscle while simultaneously losing fat are raw beginners. For those that have training under their belt, it's one or the other. And there are few if any exceptions to that (geared bodybuilders being the big exception).

Try here for no nonsense info on nutrition. Yes he sells books but the free articles, reviews and forum are excellent sources of information.

MTA: The only folks that can add lean muscle while simultaneously losing fat are raw beginners. For those that have training under their belt, it's one or the other. And there are few if any exceptions to that (geared bodybuilders being the big exception).

Yes I have done UD2 twice and RFL to no avail. Well it got me to 12% but no better.  I love Lyle Mcdonald's stuff and I participate over on his forums. UD2 is an awsome book.

I going to compare the results of UD2 to P90X. The biggest difference in the diets are with P90X you don't starve yourself. On UD2 I was eatling very little and RFL, well.... PSMF isn't fun. I'm eating more than double on P90X than on UD2. P90X low carb is like a UD2 refeed(LOL).

I know it's understood you can't gain lean mass while simultaneously losing fat, which is exactly what P90X promises. Notice above I said "I have my doubts". My position still stands.

SInce my goals are real composition specific and I have lots of other diet/training regimes to compare it to, I will be an interesting P90X case study. I'll keep you posted.

xor

honest question: what's a geared bodybuilder?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I fixed that for you.
                      ymmv

perhaps it's someone who builds these:

Why is it sideways?

Doesn't it mean someone who uses PEDs?

xor

Doesn't it mean someone who uses PEDs?

That is what I was assuming it meant. But then I realized I was assuming, so I figured I'd ask.

Why is it sideways?

That is what I was assuming it meant. But then I realized I was assuming, so I figured I'd ask.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure on that either, but I think I've heard of steroid use as "gearing up."

One on steroids. "Gear" is slang for steroids. And he is right geared vs natural athlete's can't even be compared.