P90x (Read 6266 times)

xor

One on steroids. "Gear" is slang for steroids. And he is right geared vs natural athlete's can't even be compared.

What about left geared?

I fixed that for you.

No you didn't. That's harsh. It's certainly not the end all be all and I haven't bought the books and don't recommend them. Too much is geared towards competitive BB'ers who need to diet down to sub 5% bodyfat. That's a different animal. There is much useful info on the site and he doesn't BS people with nonsense like you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time (again, newbies and untrained excepted). It gets a little too detailed for me and, besides, Lyle agrees with the credo of EFNTMMP. And he apparently likes monkeys.He also had a great article with solid references that proved chocolate milk was a better post recovery drink than BioTest Surge. It was fun to see him crush a supplement hocking (sp?) bodybuilding supplement spokesperson.

Fasteenoughforyou, You get it. I wouldn't even try those diets on Lyle's site. They're geared to competitive fitness models and BB'ers - the kind of nuts that bring a boiled chicken breast and brown rice in a tupperware container to Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not trying to be antagonistic but you're 29 years old, 5'7, 130 lbs. I wish I were 29 instead of 41 and had your metabolism and hormone profile. I'll be interested in how you do with it. A co-worker used P90X to get down from his football playing weight and it worked great for him. He dropped over 50 lbs but he had a pretty big base of muscle before starting. I wouldn't worry too much about your bodyfat level. I bet you could gain 20 lbs and add some bodyfat and still look lean but be stronger. To steal a quote, too many young guys worry about the six pack before they have an ice chest to put it in.

When I couldn't  run last year, I used Starting Strength and ate my way up to 186lbs (at 5'8). Now I've cut back on the weights and am up to about 30 mpw and back down to 173lbs with a goal of 160-165. I may add a short metcon workout on the weekend. You're definitely faster than me. I'm hoping some more weight loss will speed me up a bit.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The problem with that site is that it promotes the idea that food is fuel alone, and that it is no more than the sum of its component parts.  Food is far more complex than that, and our bodies simply cannot be treated as a machine that requires certain measurable inputs to achieve certain outputs.

Read the Pollan article.  All of it. 

Monkeys scare me Wink

The problem with that site is that it promotes the idea that food is fuel alone, and that it is no more than the sum of its component parts.  Food is far more complex than that, and our bodies simply cannot be treated as a machine that requires certain measurable inputs to achieve certain outputs.

Read the Pollan article.  All of it. 

Monkeys scare me Wink

I agree, that is a fair criticism. Understanding the context is key - his audience can be comprised of neurotic bodybuilders that overanalyze obsess over macronutrient ratios. He does have to cater to his audience so you do have to kinda filter through that content. I have read the entire Pollan article, twice. And emailed/linked it countless times. It is the single best article on how to eat.

Monkeys shouldn't scare you. Only the flying ones pose a threat.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The major problem as I understand it is this: all monkeys have the potential to fly and therefore become a major threat to our safety.  Scary.

Smile

The problem with that site is that it promotes the idea that food is fuel alone, and that it is no more than the sum of its component parts. 

Monkeys scare me Wink

Care to explain?

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, happy to explain. 

I live fairly close to one of the last refuges for flying monkeys.  Flying monkeys are a vicious lot.  They attack people, and without warning.  They have no fear and no morality.  They attack only to kill.  You rarely hear them as they approach, and generally nobody who actually sees them escapes alive to tell the tale.  Yes.  Scary.  You can read more here

And remember, because it is on the internet, it is true.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Care to explain?

Real answer:

Food is more than the sum of its parts.  Foot includes a lot of things that we can measure in a lab and quantify.  For example, we can tell how many carbs, fats and proteins are in an apple.  We can determine the apple's sodium concentration and the presence of micronutrients.  We can even determine how much fiber there is in it.  And we could then build supplements and foodstuffs that contain the exact composition of an apple.  This approach to eating, in which an apple is no more than the sum of its components, is called nutritionism.  Nutritionism essentially says that if you need 2000 calories in a day to fuel yourself, there is no health difference between 2000 calories obtained via apples or via power bars or shakes.

There is no data to support nutritionism.  There is research that shows that nutritionism does not confer any benefits. An excellent example is antioxidants; eating food high in antioxidants is associated with better health however every study of taking antioxidants as supplements instead of as part of a healthy diet has been negative.  This observation is in part because there likely a lot of things in an apple that we cannot yet measure and would therefore not put into the supplement. However, there is also likely some complex interaction that occurs in real biological foods that does not happen in a lab.  This is likely further compounded by something that goes on when we consume foods that happens differently when we consume supplements.

Check the Pollan article I linked.

Imminent Catastrophe

Real answer:

Food is more than the sum of its parts.  

I always think of Bruce Dern's character in the movie "Silent Running" when this subject comes up. That's an underrated classic IMHO. That movie was WAY ahead of its time (1972). 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I just did day 1, though actually jumped in on day 3(I planned to start monday but shipping got all skewed so I just received it Tuesday evening and I want my weeks to run Mon-sat).

It was the arms and shoulders day+ ab ripper. Man I'm so embarrased I couldn't finish the ab workout. Does anyone else find the abs ripper hard to do all the 25 reps?  Despite years of weight training and running this workout kicked my but.

My hip flexors were sore something awful after the first 4-5 times with ab ripper.  It does get easier.  Now I do it and add some other stuff to it as well.

I think you will be surprised fastenough.  The fat I lost was all in my belly which is exactly where I wanted to lose it.  (All the beer drinking finally was catching up to me.) I am sitting at about 10.7% now (If I am using these darn calipers right) and I think I have about 1% more to go.  I'm sure I could do it easily if I just gave up mexican food but that is something I am not willing to do. LOL

Intentionally Blank

Today is day 11 for me, and things are going rather well.  Many of the workouts are already feeling more manageable.  Running with the program is going fine, too, but I don't have quite enough energy for speedwork.  I am going to keep trying.
                          Today is day 11 for me, and things are going rather well.  Many of the workouts are already feeling more manageable.  Running with the program is going fine, too, but I don't have quite enough energy for speedwork.  I am going to keep trying.

Glad to hear things are going well.  After the 3rd week things will really be manageable.  Keep up your intensity and keep pushing play.

Double IPA Please!

omg this thread makes my head hurt.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Jonsi221

P90X is expensive ($120.00), and the shipping is a whopping $19.95 with some bit about this being “Free” and “Express”. This part is definitely kind of scammy, but all of those television products do it.

P90X is expensive ($120.00), and the shipping is a whopping $19.95 with some bit about this being “Free” and “Express”. This part is definitely kind of scammy, but all of those television products do it.

I got a new set, wrapped in plastic with nutriation guide, poster etc. for 60 on CL.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life