I knew I'd have iPhone envy today... (Read 951 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/ http://www.macworld.com/article/133838/2008/06/iphone3g.html Prices cut in half. 3G data speed. Built in GPS. Suddenly, my sweet little Blackberry Curve is looking a whole lot less sweet. Have to keep reminding myself how crappy AT&T's coverage is in our area.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Blackberry is introducing two new devices this summer, too- one for ATT and one for Verizon. The ATT one has more of an IPhone-like screen.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but I was a touch (get it, ha!) saddened to see that exchange sync requires me.com @ $99/yr.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, but I was a touch (get it, ha!) saddened to see that exchange sync requires me.com @ $99/yr.
          As a current .mac subscriber, (who was on the verge of quitting it), at least I might get my money's worth from the service now. It does suck that me.com is required for Exchange. As far as I can tell, it still doesn't have voice dialing (which I love on my Curve and truly is a must for a touch-based device) and video recording. But we still wants it. 2 years from now, when it's up to 64GB, and my Sprint contract runs out.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will likely get an iPod touch to be my new PDA. I don't need no fancy phone with it, and the Touch does most everything else. I was really psyched at the last keynote when they announced they were working towards Exchange syncing. Well, they are there and I will have to pay. And the Touch did not get cheaper... I wonder if it will still synch with Exchange directly...

The Greatest of All Time

I will likely get an iPod touch to be my new PDA. ...
              I am sure you already know this but the iPod touch has to be wirelessly connected to the internet. In other words, it won't work riding in your car, at least for internet stuff like email, etc.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                $199. Nice. If you don't have to have a long term contract, I may look into it. Are going to have mandatory data plans? I wonder if they are going to going to make a wrist harness and have a running GPS utility that auto-uploads runs to runningahead.com Big grin Maybe Eric was one of the 4K developers and already has this developed.

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am sure you already know this but the iPod touch has to be wirelessly connected to the internet. In other words, it won't work riding in your car, at least for internet stuff like email, etc.
                  Yes. I know. My current PDA has NO internet. Most of the places where I work and live have wireless. Many things, such as email, can be done offline.
                    Is GPS going to be able to give audible directions? iPhone navigation software?

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And the Touch did not get cheaper...
                      I think it will very soon. WWDC is a developer's show, so they tend not to cram it with too much consumer stuff -- almost never any iPod announcements. However, it wouldn't be unlike Apple just to announce a price cut sometime this week or next via press release. It's happened before.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Is GPS going to be able to give audible directions? iPhone navigation software?
                        Don't know about audible (doesn't say anything on the website). The software itself appears to be the same Google Maps app. It says that it defaults to GPS, then uses Wi-Fi, and finally cell tower triangulation to get if you can't get good GPS signal.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahah. If you HAVE Exchange, iPhone does it in 2.0 native. If you do not, you have to get mobileme. So does this mean I can get my iMac to synch with Exchange soon?
                            $199! Wow. Isn't the iPod Classic more expensive than that, or did they cut those prices too? I do know the 4GB iPod Nano is $150, and that's only $50 less. I don't know what Steve Jobs is thinking here (this is why I am NOT going into sales).
                            PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Dave

Ahah. If you HAVE Exchange, iPhone does it in 2.0 native. If you do not, you have to get mobileme. So does this mean I can get my iMac to synch with Exchange soon?
                              My guess is that it will still require Entourage to do that. It would be a pretty big frontal assault on Microsoft to turn Mail/Ical/Addressbook into a full blown exchange client. As far as the price points for the Nano and the Touch, they've really clamped down on Iphone activation so in order to get the $199 price point, you have to sign up for a contract at something like $70 per month for phone service. Touch = $299 Iphone = $199 + $70/month X 18 months = $1459

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dave

Don't know about audible (doesn't say anything on the website). The software itself appears to be the same Google Maps app. It says that it defaults to GPS, then uses Wi-Fi, and finally cell tower triangulation to get if you can't get good GPS signal.
                                Tom Tom has announced an Iphone version of its navigation software. No pricing announced or timeline but that should include most of what you'd expect out of a traditional stand alone GPS unit.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com