Ran my first 50K and I'm VERY unhappy (Read 267 times)

rlopez

IMy question to you is this; Am I beating myself too much over this? 

Yes.

an amazing likeness

I failed at my goal which was to run the whole thing continiously like I do with every one of my runs. I ran non stop 35K and then for the last 15K, I did about 4 small walk breaks and overall I think I walked 2KM and ran 48KM. I wanted to play it safe because I travelled to a different province JUST to do this run and my family came with me. I didn't want to risk passing out in the middle of the run and blowing everything. 

Got 50 min? Give this TED Radio Hour podcast a listen...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runnermacoy

Got 50 min? Give this TED Radio Hour podcast a listen...

Wow thanks for sending me a video on failure and defeat. That's exactly what I needed lol

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow thanks for sending me a video on failure and defeat. That's exactly what I needed lol

Milktruck is a good guy. If he's giving you a link to a video on failure and defeat, it'll be worth the watch and likely give you some perspective you are missing.

People on this board are very knowledgeable and willing to help if you give them a chance.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

To each their own....

but if I were in your shoes, with a 4:01 marathon PR, I would be looking to run a Faster Marathon,

300m- 37 sec.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You do realize the two are not mutually exclusive, don't you?

if I were in your shoes, with a 4:01 marathon PR, I would be looking to run a Faster Marathon,

mikeymike

You do realize the two are not mutually exclusive, don't you?

Runners run

slingrunner

I'm a bit late here to this thread, but I see with a 4hr marathon PR, you came in 85th out of 134.  4hr is really kind of an average time for a marathon (and that was your best not average), and the ultra running group is going to be a fitter faster group...eliminating many of the back of the packers. So 85th doesn't sound that bad.  Time is fairly meaningless to me, if the dew point went up for 5 degrees, it might cost you 30 minutes in a 50k, especially if you didn't plan well for it.

I don't understand why not walking at all is goal.  I've run 3 mile trail races where I was walking within 30 seconds.  I was in a race a few weeks ago where I was walking up the hill at the same pace as the guy running up it.  In general, any time I step up to a new distance, I don't worry too much about finishing time, since it takes work to learn the pacing.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

🤣🤣🤣🤣

the ultra running group is going to be a fitter faster group...eliminating many of the back of the packers. 

This may be the funniest thing I’ve ever read on the internets.

Thank yiu you for that. I needed a good laugh.

mikeymike

🤣🤣🤣🤣

This may be the funniest thing I’ve ever read on the internets.

Thank yiu you for that. I needed a good laugh.

I don't have the numbers but I suspect this is generally correct--that there are fewer woefully unprepared bucket listers in an ultra than in a road marathon.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

50k I ran last month had an 11 1/2 hour cutoff. I mean...

slingrunner

50k I ran last month had an 11 1/2 hour cutoff. I mean...

Well I stand humbled.  You've convinced me with your complex research of totally nonanecdotal "evidence".

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

mikeymike

But there were a total of 280 finishers (which is a lot for a 50k) and none of them were very close to that cutoff.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

🤣🤣

Well I stand humbled.  You've convinced me with your complex research of totally nonanecdotal "evidence".

Happy to read the research you are using to support your assertions. You know, if you wanna share.