Comments from bystanders (Read 2315 times)

Basically... run!

Halfway through my long run today I'm feeling great and I run past two guys sitting on a park bench. One of them says to me "Only 18 miles to go!" I laugh and reply, "No, just 6" and hear the guy answer "Oh" and then "shit" under his breath. I felt awesome! Cool Anyone else get any funny comments while running?

A couple of years ago I was out running and I passed some guys playing on the basketball courts down the street from my house, one of the guys yelled over to me..."WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?? You look like you're in good shape, you can stop running now!"...I just smiled, and kept on running. Smile One other time while I was running at my daughter's soccer practice, I was doing the loop around the field over and over again. I kept passing an elderly man walking, after passing him several times the next time I came around he started to laugh and said "Hey, can I have some of your energy?". He was very sweet. I told him that I would love to give him some of my energy!

Michelle

I just always get the people who try to be funny and run with me, or say "I'm gonna beat you!". Not very clever, but that's what you'll get on a college campus. It just always makes me laugh that they can only go a few yards before they give up and let me run in peace.
        "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Retired men are always the most supportive. I see a lot of the same old guys out on their bikes and they are always friendly and wave. I don't get all that many "comments," but lots of 'good mornings'. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Retired men are always the most supportive. I see a lot of the same old guys out on their bikes and they are always friendly and wave. I don't get all that many "comments," but lots of 'good mornings'. Smile k
            My favorite early morning runs happened while on vacation in Busch Garden's Virginia this past summer. We stayed at a golfing resort. I got up early to run and while out I ran past soooooo many retired men and women and all were bright eyed and bushy tailed, decked out in the snazzy golf attire, and ALWAYS with a big smile and "GOOD MORNING" as I ran by. It was nice. A little too nice. Kind of creepy by day three. Confused

Michelle

Cryptic

a couple years ago I had a 3 mile loop I liked to run and I was doing 5 laps that particular day. Towards the end of the loop on my first lap I notice a guy coming out to get his paper with a cup of coffee in hand and I say good morning as I pass and continue on....lap two I notice the same guy is going to wash his car today...he is getting out his hose and bucket....lap three he is actually washing the car...lap 4 I notice him start shaking his head when I pass. I couldn't help but laugh to myself. I am thinking he thinks I am a nut job. On the final lap the guy had started cutting his lawn...as he sees me coming up the hill towards his house he gets off his tractor walks to the street and informs me that he is just "to damn tired to finish his lawn after watching me run all morning". He said he was going to make his son finish up and told me he didn't want to see me again lol(he was being funny). I let him know I was on my last lap. Over the years I have seen this guy from time to time but what makes me the happiest is when I see him running by my house when he gets off work. I ran into the same guy at lowes about 6 months after this incident and he let me know he started walking 5 days week and was looking forward to the day he found me running past his house so he could join me. Have to love running.
                a couple years ago I had a 3 mile loop I liked to run and I was doing 5 laps that particular day. Towards the end of the loop on my first lap I notice a guy coming out to get his paper with a cup of coffee in hand and I say good morning as I pass and continue on....lap two I notice the same guy is going to wash his car today...he is getting out his hose and bucket....lap three he is actually washing the car...lap 4 I notice him start shaking his head when I pass. I couldn't help but laugh to myself. I am thinking he thinks I am a nut job. On the final lap the guy had started cutting his lawn...as he sees me coming up the hill towards his house he gets off his tractor walks to the street and informs me that he is just "to damn tired to finish his lawn after watching me run all morning". He said he was going to make his son finish up and told me he didn't want to see me again lol(he was being funny). I let him know I was on my last lap. Over the years I have seen this guy from time to time but what makes me the happiest is when I see him running by my house when he gets off work. I ran into the same guy at lowes about 6 months after this incident and he let me know he started walking 5 days week and was looking forward to the day he found me running past his house so he could join me. Have to love running.
                *lol* That's awesome!

Michelle

madness baby

what a great story. Very cool. Wink
                  deb
                  Mishka-old log

Back in HS. I was out on a run with 2 other team mates. These guys were both around 6'4" and weighed not much more than 150 a piece. We referred to them as "11". Anyway, near the end of the run, we approach 2 grade school kids, probably 4th graders or so. As we get closer, one of them says "What are looking at you skinny little bitch?" All we could do was laugh at the time, but I'm afraid to think what that kid is up to these days.

Back in HS. I was out on a run with 2 other team mates. These guys were both around 6'4" and weighed not much more than 150 a piece. We referred to them as "11". Anyway, near the end of the run, we approach 2 grade school kids, probably 4th graders or so. As we get closer, one of them says "What are looking at you skinny little bitch?" All we could do was laugh at the time, but I'm afraid to think what that kid is up to these days.
                      When I was in high school, we'd stop and let the middle school kids pass by any time we saw them out on the fields. As they ran by, we'd all start making race car zooming noises ("neeeyooommmhhh" or something like that) as each one passed. Then a few years later those kids would be in high school and would do the same thing to the new middle school kids.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Plodder

I went out for my long run on Friday, and was quite nervous at passing the billboards advertising 'Run, Fatboy, Run' and was anticipating having such shouts rining in my ears!! But fortunately I got away with it Big grin
                          I was on vacation this summer in Charleston. It was really hot. I passed a old man on one leg. I came around again and he said "You can do it." I thoughth, damn straight - I can do it.
                          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                          Jeffrey

Few weeks ago I was hammering out some strides and a cyclist passed me -- he shouted "NICE PACE!" to me. Since it was a stride, 10 seconds later I slowed down to my mundane 8.00 min per mile, not-so-sexy-fast, pace. Then I thought, that sucks, I bet the dude thought my stride-pace was my normal-pace. Not quite. A week ago I passed a dude who said, "Wellllll awwwwwwright, loooookin' goooooood." Cracked me up. I didn't feel like I was looking good. It was a recovery run and I recall struggling to do 8.30s that day.
                              I was running on a bike path recently, when a Pop Warner football practice was breaking up. The Lance wannabe's fly on the path, so you have to look both ways if you are crossing it. A dad grabbed his kid and hustled him across, then said to me "you were moving so fast I thought you were on a bike". That brought a smile to my face. During my last Applefest HM, a couple of runners were slowly gaining ground on me. They pulled even, then slowly pulled away. The guy says "c'mon let's go" and the gal picks up the pace but protests with a "WTF"? He says to her "I can't stand heavy breathers".

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Stampgirljo

A couple of years ago I was running through my neighborhood. Some boys from the local high school were hanging out in a backyard that could see the sidewalk. They saw me and whistled. I turned to smile and waved. One of them said, "Oh, you're old!" Sigh... I was only 25.