Set point weight crap (for Teresafdp) (Read 1269 times)

starfish1000

Hi there Teresa. I just have to let you know that I am personally in complete, raving agreement of what you said in the previous "weight loss" post regarding your "set point" weight. For background, I'm a 5'9", 41 year old female and an ex-runner who's returned to the running game after 10ish years and 50-60 lbs of excess me. I'm at about 22 miles a week and 4-5 runs a week. I'm working hard at weight training to gain strength and it's going well. I feel good although I don't look like I run etc. My husband commented that I'm definitely looking leaner and he's so wonderfully encouraging. My friend, who did not know me when I used to run and was close to 60lbs lighter, constantly categorizes me as having a big build and that if I were even 30lbs "lighter" (I guess I'm gloomy) I would look anorexic! Meanwhile, it's perfectly okay for her to be exceptionally lean and eat like a rabbit! I guess what she is saying is that she is acceptably lean and that I should not endeavor to be lean like her because I am just not destined to reach those heights. She also looks down her nose at running and thinks that it's not a good choice of exercise, for me or anyone ... the "bad knees" story and all that. I know I could out-run her and I'm sure she secretly doesn't like that. My gripe, which you summed up beautifully, is that set point is an excusable way of accepting excess weight. Labeling someone (and by someone I really mean women) as having a heavier "natural" weight is infuriating. Fat is fat is fat is fat! By trying to convince a woman that she is just meant to be heavy is saying to them that they are hopeless and less worthy of a fit and strong body. I think women (particularly) who are all too happy to deliberately and falsely assuage other women's self-esteem by called them naturally-heavy are maliciously and insidiously sabotaging them. Before I end this tirade, I have to relay another example of esteem sabotage! A few days ago I was golfing. As I said earlier, I've been working hard at strength training and feel pretty good. I was golfing with a lady (she's extremely thin) and a guy with whom I've not golfed with in several months. I hit a fantastic, long drive on a particular hole and the guy commented on what a great shot I hit and that I've definitely improved since the last time we played. The lady called out "gorilla woman!" because it was a long hit compared to most female golfers. I don't think she meant gorilla as in "fit" but gorilla as in "butch". I feel that a lot of women need to boost their sense of "doe-like" femininity by contrasting their perceived, "ideal selves" with those whom they see as the opposite of (or threat to) themselves. Hence ... doe v. gorilla. A HUGE BRAVO to you for NOT ACCEPTING YOUR "SET POINT" WEIGHT. I'm not going to accept mine either! This gorilla has got her sneakers on and she's going to keep running. I hope I get to have my NAH-NAH-NAH-NAH-NAH moment like you have. Sorry if I've ranted on a bit too much but your comment struck a chord with me. (as you might have guessed)
    mom2three

Okay, I can't really comment on the set point thing, I need to go back and read that one, but I totally get where you are comming from. Some women are cruel...and stupid. You can tell the true althletes form the novice. The true to heart athletes would have said, "Awesome shot" if you had a good golf shot. Not some snide remark...gorilla? Come ON! You are a tall woman, but I'm even taller. Try living with being 6" tall since you were 13? OMG! Most people will say, "Wow, you're big...uhh, I mean tall." Sigh. I am overweight, but by what amount most people only think 20-30lbs, but in reality it's 60. I am a larger build, very athletic. I am having the same thing going on. Running, not loosing weight, but I'm looking more defined, and the solid fat that I had is starting to sag...if that makes sense...like on my underarms, and baby pooch. My hubby is starting to call me "Sporty Spice". LOL I like to wear running tanks with racer backs etc. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know I share your pain on how people can stay stupid things to us.
      Jill

Oh Mighty Wing

I don't remember that thread, so i'm not really sure what set point is about... but I think women and their bodies are an interesting thing. I'm 5'9 and 155lbs. I think people have a weight that their bodies like to be at. This is mine. I started running a year ago and dieting (to loose 10 lbs for my wedding which was february). I went from a whole 160 to 153. And now reside at 155. I have been within a few lbs of 155 for the last many years. And in my mind I am trim and lean, but have had to come to terms with the fact that I will never be one of those skinny girls... my body isn't built like that... I think loosing weight is wonderful if you have extra pounds to shed, but I do think we have a weight that our bodies are most happy with. That is NEVER overweight though, but it's not necessarily stick skinny either. It's a delicate balance... Regardless of all this... Good luck with your weightloss and i hope you reach a point where you are happy with how you look regardless of what the number on the scale says!!

If you want to know the truth, weight is an arbitrary and mostly useless form of measurement. I weigh myself daily, but not because I care about what the number is. I only want to know if my weight changes drastically in a short span of time to know when I am over training or getting sick so that I can get extra rest. The only better way to measure is to get a daily resting heart rate, but it's easier to weigh yourself so that's what I do. There are two important measurements that are much more meaningful than how much you weigh. First, the subjective measurement of "how do you feel" is probably the best gauge. If you feel better every day after working out for 6 months, even if you didn't lose much weight (or *gasp* gained weight) then chances are you are both healthier, less prone to injury/disease, and since you feel better you are probably happier which has its own health benefits. Second, an objective measurement that isn't quite as important as how you feel but can give you something measurable is your body fat percentage. Women will have high body fat then men (we don't have to bear children after all) but it will give you a much better indication of what kind of shape you are in than how much you weigh. If you look in the mirror and aren't happy with what you see, then work out. If you have health problems due to being overweight, then lose weight. If you want to compete, then exercise in such a way that you will become stronger at the sport or activity you are interested in. Seems simple enough to me. I find it difficult to imagine not having a base level of fitness and can't understand why some people let themselves go to the point where they can barely manage a set of stairs. A simple walking or running program to build up a small base is all that's really necessary for most people to really enjoy life more than they do, and for those that really want to transform their body then the best options for them are to do high intensity exercises such as weight lifting or interval running. For those that just want to maintain that level of fitness, then aerobic running cycling and swimming is the best bet. By periodizing what you do, you can maximize all of your gains and stay healthy and happy. (Unless you stop and go through withdrawal symptoms of course, but that's a price I'm at least willing to pay.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I find it difficult to imagine not having a base level of fitness and can't understand why some people let themselves go to the point where they can barely manage a set of stairs. )
            I wonder this alot too. People look at you like you have snakes sprouting out of your head when you tell them you " run"..... It seems easier to swallow a pill to cure your weight than it does to get out there and move your butt everyday..... Confused

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

The Greatest of All Time

I think loosing weight is wonderful if you have extra pounds to shed, but I do think we have a weight that our bodies are most happy with. That is NEVER overweight though, but it's not necessarily stick skinny either. It's a delicate balance...
              Very well put. Absolute weight can be so misleading. There is obviously a point we all get to where we areoverweight no matter how you slice it. Fat is fat. But assuming you're no longer extremely overweight, body composition should be focused on more than weight. This is why I think BMI is meaningless for athletes.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              JakeKnight

What's up with all this gorilla bashing? Shame on you people. I'm offended.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here was my original post about my set point: "I had convinced myself that my "set point" was 170 pounds. I'm 5'-8 1/2" tall. I started out at 180, and found that running alone didn't help me lose much. I began to watch what I ate, and the calorie restriction plus the running got me down to 150 after 6 1/2 months. That was in November. Since then, I've built up my weekly mileage to 30+ miles per week. I don't really worry about what I eat. I've lost another 5 pounds so I'm at 145 now, my lowest weight in 16 years. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I guess my set point isn't 170, after all!" Then Marcus said that he couldn't imagine 170 as a genetic set point unless the woman was 6'-5'. I responded with: "Yes, I was definitely in denial! I'm also much better about not eating until I'm stuffed, even if it means not cleaning off my plate. MTA: I got annoyed at one of those shows where they try to help someone look better. The woman was very overweight, and whining about how she'd tried and tried to lose weight, but just couldn't. "This is just my natural weight!" And the show's host agreed! Blech, that's not going to do her any good." So I wasn't talking about someone already in her heatlhy weight range. 170 was definitely not a healthy weight for me to be at. Good luck with your weight loss, starfish! I know what you mean about the sabotage. Women (inevitably heavy) keep coming up to me and telling me I'm too skinny. I don't think so! I was 15 pounds lighter in college. As my husband says, he can tell I have lots of energy and am much happier, so I'm doing fine.
                    If you look in the mirror and aren't happy with what you see, then work out. If you have health problems due to being overweight, then lose weight. If you want to compete, then exercise in such a way that you will become stronger at the sport or activity you are interested in. Seems simple enough to me.
                    For some people, it really may (and should be) that simple, but for some people, that statement could be akin to saying "if you don't like being an alcoholic, quit drinking" - it's not such simple equation for everyone. I am from a family where sports were the number one priority - rather than compete in a hostile environment, I opted out completely (by gaining weight and becoming completely sendentary). In may case, it was neither laziness nor unwillingness that made it difficult for me to get fit or lose weight, but a subconsious need to continue rebelling against a judgement of worth based on physical appearance or fitness. Even now after finally getting off the couch a year ago, it is still a daily battle.
                      My son is 3 inches shorter than I am, but 15lbs heavier. He is definitely slimmer, but has a very different build; i ran cross country and played tennis in high school, he played rugby and was a shotputter! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

For some people, it really may (and should be) that simple, but for some people, that statement could be akin to saying "if you don't like being an alcoholic, quit drinking" - it's not such simple equation for everyone. I am from a family where sports were the number one priority - rather than compete in a hostile environment, I opted out completely (by gaining weight and becoming completely sendentary). In may case, it was neither laziness nor unwillingness that made it difficult for me to get fit or lose weight, but a subconsious need to continue rebelling against a judgement of worth based on physical appearance or fitness. Even now after finally getting off the couch a year ago, it is still a daily battle.
                        Yorkshire, it still is that simple. My point was that is what you need to do based upon how you feel. If you are an alcoholic, then by all means the way to not be one is stop drinking. I didn't say it was easy; I just pointed out that that's the path you should take.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

---- decided to censor myself ---
                          C-R

What's up with all this gorilla bashing? Shame on you people. I'm offended.
                            Spanking the monkey, eh? We stress too much about weight. Run (excercise), eat smaller portions, do it consistently and your body should find its equilibrium point - in my uneducated opinion.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

starfish1000

Thanks for the responses guys! If I ever summon the courage, I would love to post a photo of me now and me 10 years ago and then me say .... 8 months from now. Hopefully you wouldn't see much of a difference between the last 2 photos! Mom2three: Thank you for sharing my pain. You clearly know what I mean. People tend to substitute "big" for "tall" especially when you're carrying an extra few lbs. Keep up with your efforts. Absolutely nobody who knew me would believe that I'm carrying an extra 50 or 60lbs. They just think because I'm strong that it's muscle. If my fat were muscle I would be sprinting in the olympics and bench pressing 600lbs. I keep my rolls hidden well, at least that's what I like to tell myself. I know that I'm overfat. I know that only I can change that. I know that I'm running and weight-training for a better me, regardless of the criticism. I also know I'll keep going. Teresadfp: Hope you don't feel that I've dropped you in it. You wouldn't accept that your set point was 170lbs for your frame. I can't accept that mine is 200lbs. Yup. That's what I weigh. Definitely NOT what you would call healthy. ShanHas: I agree that there might be a weight that our body is comfortable at but I don't agree it's ever a weight where we carry excess fat. When I was a runner 10 years ago, I was about 145lbs (or maybe less actually, can't remember). I was never a waif. I was strong enough to piggyback my 210 lbs husband. Now that I'm 200lbs, I'm not as strong (but getting there) and I'm much slower. I worked back up to being able to run for 4 or 5 miles and enjoy it. It's a long way back. JakeKnight: sorry for the gorilla bashing. Gorillas are people too. Cheers everyone.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I feel that a lot of women need to boost their sense of "doe-like" femininity by contrasting their perceived, "ideal selves" with those whom they see as the opposite of (or threat to) themselves. Hence ... doe v. gorilla.
                                I lent my MIL this DVD a while back, when she was looking for some beginner/intermediate weight workouts to get started: She took one look at the cover and said "eww, I don't want to look like her...her legs are HUGE." Now, mind you...my MIL is a 5'8" ectormorph...she couldn't get "heavy" legs like that if she did squats 24/7 and gained 50#s. I am built almost exactly like Tamilee Webb, so she was essentially mocking my build to. my. face. She makes little snide comments like this ALL the time. She weighs less than I do and is 4.5" taller than I am...and she whines that she is "fat," even though she is at the ideal weight for her height and build and has almost 30 years on me. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay