Experience Runner needs help with lower back pain (Read 72 times)

Mpachello

Hey all, I’m looking for a second opinion

Im 24, experienced runner (participated in marathons and casually ran 10 miles on trails) however after spraining my ankle on a trail I was out for 2 months. I recently started running at a low distance of 3 miles - 5 miles, but no matter what I feel pain in my lower back.

located on the right side a little bit above the hip.

To me, it feels like muscle spasms and extreme tightness, however I have foamed rolled it non stop and still no full relief. I recently started stretching my Psaos, hand tradings, guards, calves, glutes, and hip flexors and my hope is that is overall tightness in my legs which is leading to the muscle spasm.

Any new assessments or techniques I should try would be greatly appreciated!

paul2432

I use a lacrosse ball to zero in on the area.  I don’t think you can get you can get your back muscles deep enough with a foam roller. You might also try strengthening your back and abdominal muscles.

I do back lifts on the machine at the gym but you could do them at home with an exercise ball.  I like dead bugs for the abs, focus on keeping your back flat.

I’m not a medical professional, this is just what works for me.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Could it be a muscle pull.

does it hurt all the time

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

dhuffman63

Trails

I've dealt with low back pain now since I hit a very large deer with my car in 2017...falling on trails keep it from healing...turns out I have a SI joint problem...I see a physical therapist now and for the first time my back does not hurt.  You might want to see a PT for evaluation at least get some stretches to help.

SMART Approach

It may be your SI joint if low back and a bit on one side and lower. Is it in boney area of low back? Possibly some shearing going on. With your sprained ankle you may have compensated, limped etc which slightly altered your alignmemt and caused your sacrum and ilium to not slide smoothly. Generally, your body figures it out and symptoms fade unless a significant structural issue or injury. Do alot of one leg work on affected side. Standing, rocking, side to side, bend forward etc. Do as much as you can throughout day (and on other leg too) and hopefully things will realign. Keep moving and be active but avoid things that significantly irritate it. If no resolve or improvement in next 10 - 14 days, get it checked out. Also, no ice. Heat is much better.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com