Good Podcasts for runners? (Read 2547 times)

Wandering Wally

Trail Runner Nation, link is down below.  Not always strictly focused on trails.

3 Non Joggers - Hilarious!

Car Talk - I end up LOLing every time.  I get some strange looks.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, though I think I know why.

"Two Gomers Run For Their Lives"

They started out four, maybe five years ago, podcasting about their first marathon training.  Neither were what you'd call "runners" before they started, so it's CERTAINLY not a "how-to" kind of podcast (one started out running in khaki shorts, which they laugh about now).  More like they're inviting you along on their journey, with its many, many follies and mistakes.

They're on Season 5 now, and have a couple of marathons and many other shorter distance races under their belts, and while they're still not experts by any definition, they at least have a clue what they're doing now.

But information about running is not why I listen to them (and I think they'd agree)...they're two reasonably amusing guys to listen to, and they get sidetracked frequently talking about pop culture, food, child-rearing, and life in general, to the point that some episodes have, I'd say, about 5-7% running-related content.  Fun to listen to, though, since their tastes and sense of humor are very, very similar to mine.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kalsarikännit

It's not running related (except for the fact that the host is a runner), but I love to listen to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". It is hysterically funny and keeps me engaged when running. I look like a nut laughing while running outdoors or at the gym.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

an amazing likeness

Personally, I tried and just couldn't get into 3 Non-Joggers, but RA member fatozzig (Leslie) is a sometimes guest on 3NJ.

I typically keep coming back to: "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", "Car Talk",  "Vinyl Cafe", "Planet Money", "This American Life", and CBC Radio2's music podcasts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I typically keep coming back to: "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", "Car Talk",  "Vinyle Cafe", "Planet Money", "This American Life", and CBC Radio2.

+1

I never liked Home Prairie Companion until I started doing the long runs by myself.  It helps me space out and make the time go by faster.

Samurai in Training

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

It's not running related (except for the fact that the host is a runner), but I love to listen to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". It is hysterically funny and keeps me engaged when running. I look like a nut laughing while running outdoors or at the gym.

It's tangentially running-related.  Peter Sagal is an avid runner.  Has a column in Runner's World, even.

MTA: Oops, didn't see your parenthetical!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kai Ryssdal is a runner, too!

marketplace.org

sluggo

John

Personally, I tried and just couldn't get into 3 Non-Joggers, but RA member fatozzig (Leslie) is a sometimes guest on 3NJ.

I typically keep coming back to: "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", "Car Talk",  "Vinyl Cafe", "Planet Money", "This American Life", and CBC Radio2's music podcasts.

+1 on Planet Money. I am always surprised about the economic angle they discuss. Starting their own off shore companies, the economics of running an illegal drug business (not only do they smuggle truck loads of drugs in - they have to smuggle truck loads of $100 bills out!

I also like Science Friday - they recently talked about a new book - "The Joy of X" - a great shot read from the numbers 1 & 0 to quantum mechanics.

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Kalsarikännit

It's tangentially running-related.  Peter Sagal is an avid runner.  Has a column in Runner's World, even.

I have beer miled against him. He puked. Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

an amazing likeness

Car Talk is gone.

Prairie Home Companion is gone.

Stewart McLean of Vinyl Cafe died today.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

Marc Maron!!

I also really like the Science of Running podcast with Steve Magness and Jon Marcus. They can get a little smug at times, but it is still a good listen especially for the philosophical bits and the enthusiasm of Jon Marcus.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I don't think I could stand to listen to talk about running while running.  Actually, when my running posse got together we would talk obsessively about running when we weren't, and everything but running when we were actually doing it.

But here are my current favorites:

- Christopher Lydon's - Open Source Radio (high brow culture)

- This American Life (non-fiction, mostly)

- Mike Pesca's - The Gist (news/politics: NYer sensibility.  Decidedly Left of Center)

- IQ2(US) - Oxford style debate program

- More Perfect - history of important times/cases for the US Supreme Court

- Serial (Season 1): real-life murder mystery

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

For running, I like: