Is this rude? (Read 1336 times)

Bugs

When a fast runner finishes the race and runs back to help a friend finish is this rude to the runners still trying to finish? Same question applies for a runner wants to get a few more miles in? IMO, it's a little depressing when you're trying to dig deep, you see someone that has finished, is running back for more, you feel like you need a lung transplant and they are running easily along.

Bugs

I have mixed feelings about it. The first 5k I ever ran the leaders came back to cheer me on. I was very happy for it, but I knew I was slow too so I didn't feel bad. However, as I get faster I appreciate it less because now I feel like they are just rubbing it in. Smile I really don't care either way. I would like to do that someday, but I am always too spent at the end of a race to think about it.
      "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
      My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
        I don't think it rude to continue running, nor do I think "effin hotdog." Well, maybe a little, but that usually gives way to inspiration or something where I try to reach into myself and step it up. Ans who knows: They may be cooling down, or trying to get prescribed miles in. I could see a problem if they ran against race traffic to get to a friend. Remember, we are all running our own race. Try not to think about it. I guarantee you, whatever the reason such runners continue, it's not to rub it in or anything to those of us with lesser performances.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I've had someone run back for me once. It really motivated me to finish hard, and had me feeling not so alone. I ran back for someone once. They were very appreciative and said that they would have been walking in to the finish if I hadn't been there. Perhaps it depends on the person. I personally like it.

Roads were made for journeys...

A Saucy Wench

I think it isnt rude at all. If they are going back to help a friend, it is about the friend...who probably appreciates it, I know I did, I know my friends do. If its just for cooldown, then it is about what they need to do for their own goals and body.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

grateful runner

Once, I finished a 5k and ran back to be with my wife, who was pushing our children as a walker. All those race-tshirt wearing lady power-walkers were shouting 4 letter words at me. Its a competitive sport, but we should expect (and allow) encouragement to go both ways. Besides, who wins the race gets to set the rules!!! **apologies to the race-tshirt wearing power walker ladies on the message board. You were not well represented that particular day. Smile
              2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
              mikeymike

No, it's not rude.

Runners run

I don't think it's rude if they are going back for someone else. I think it's nice when anyone wants to help motivate another runner. As for getting more mileage in, well, I think that might be a little rude. There are other places to get more miles in. Mostly though, as long as they aren't getting in the way of others finishing (the first time), I really wouldn't pay them any attention.

Michelle

Once, I finished a 5k and ran back to be with my wife, who was pushing our children as a walker.
                    I think that's sweet! Smile

Michelle

At the first 5k I ran, one of the superfast dudes just kept lapping! He must of done 2 or 3 runs of the course to warm-up, ran his race, and did 2 more. I knew I was dead slow, but i would have sworn that I was running backwards. It sure felt rude to me. Now I'm just used to seeing snails cruise by and not look back. Big grin

Why is it sideways?

As a general policy, it's best not to assume that fast runners are "showing off," just because they are running fast and cheering their friends. If they are holding a sign that says "Because I'm faster than you I think I'm better than you," then it might be fair to jump to conclusions. Short of that, I think it's bad policy to try to get into other people's heads.
                        Mr R

The faster runners are certainly not trying to show off. I often cool down on the course, generally so I know how far I've gone. After running a race, I lose my sense of pace (for easy miles), so it's nice to have a marked course. Also, most races I compete in are not in my neck of the woods, so I'd rather stay where I know I won't get lost.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

I'd never heard of this until coming across a similar thread last year on one of the old CoolRunning forums. I've been cooling down by running the course in reverse for years and it never crossed my mind that someone might be offended. Ninety perent of the time the course you just ran is the best place available to do your cooldown. You have mile markers to tell you how far you've gone, and if you are directionally challenged like me you have less chance of getting lost. Fwiw there have been many, many times when runners faster than me have been into their cooldowns while I'm still out there. I appreciate any words of enocuragement they care to give me, but if they are too busy talking with each other it doesn't bother me in the least. All I'm thinking about is dragging my tired butt across that finish line.
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I just love to watch the fast runners run! Since I don't get to see them at the start line (I'm way back with the very slow people), their cool-down time is my only chance to see them. They're usually very encouraging, too, which I appreciate.

Bugs

I wish someone would run back for me. Sad

Bugs