Who does Biggest Loser think they are kidding? (Read 1060 times)

A Saucy Wench

At least twice on the show they have recently mentioned that they were setting the TM's to 14mph. Or that someone (this week Britany) could run 14 mph. 4:16.8 min mile. For what? 1/2 a second? Because I dont think Miss Brit, as tough as she is, is only 4 seconds off world record pace. Can someone get her a contract? Just think if she lost the remaining 40 or so lbs....3 sec per mile...hey she could run a 2 min mile! ( Blushslightly ashamed that I am addicted to this voyeuristic product placement vehicle)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Big grin I saw it last night too and heard the 14mph comment - I thought I was crazy and she must have said 4 mph. I also can't imagine how they can drop 100 pounds in what - 12 weeks?? I can't lose a nagging 10 pounds - not fair. Cry
      "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton

Me and the boys

I am only slightly ashamed to admit I watch it as well. Usually, I get on the TM in the first half hour, and do my long run (if you can call it that. lol) while watching the show. Being overweight myself, I think its highly motivating. Amazing to watch these people drop so much weight on a weekly basis. Although, I heard last night, they work out 6 hours a day... wowzaz. I did see the 14 mph, and thought that was crazy too. Seems like they only do it for 10-20 second bursts? She (Jillian) sets it, then counts down, then puts it back down at a lower speed.
        -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."

I walked into the room when my wife had it on for the white noise once and watched it for 2 or 3 minutes. It failed to grab my interest.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I totally missed that (14mph comment)! I can't imagine going 14mph! My TM doesn't even go that high! I am sure I would hurt myself if I tried, even for 1/2 a second. I am not ashamed for watching this show! There are so many terrible, life destroying reality shows out there-at least I watch the one that the people are actually improving their quality of life! Now can someone tell me the best Ford to buy and where I can get the best deal on Extra gum? For some reason I MUST buy these things, immediately. Wink

A Saucy Wench

Now can someone tell me the best Ford to buy and where I can get the best deal on Extra gum? For some reason I MUST buy these things, immediately. Wink
              I have a weird craving for PAM covered Extra gum...maybe if I stick them together in a ZIPLOC and shake them the pam will coat the gum....what would happen if I ZIPnSTEAM'd the PAM and the Extra together? Clowning around

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Surely, they must have meant 14 min. miles, right? But I didn't watch the show, so I don't know. Undecided
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Surely, they must have meant 14 min. miles, right? But I didn't watch the show, so I don't know. Undecided
                  It's possible that they said 14mph, but actually meant 14min/mi. Or that they didn't know the difference. No one said you have to be smart to be on tv.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

No one said you have to be smart to be on tv.
                    You just shattered my whole world view.

Maniac

I love Biggest Loser....I can't explain it. I find it inspiring. I also love Big Brother, but for a different reason. Biggest Loser certainly does whore out the products, don't they? I laugh when they do it, but do find myself thinking (at times)..."Hmmmm, I could use one of those." As for the 14 mph comment....I heard it as well...Though I think she said "14" (rather than 14 mph). Maybe it's a setting on their treadmill that doesn't correspond to miles per hour??? Maybe they run km/h so they feel faster??? It is for just a fast burst, but I don't know if those folks could run that fast even for 5 - 10 seconds.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is for just a fast burst, but I don't know if those folks could run that fast even for 5 - 10 seconds.
                        I don't think I could, and I'm naturally a sprinter. I have no idea how fast my all-out sprint is, but I doubt it's even 14mph.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

No, they definitely said mph yesterday. My guess is they either have screwed with the calibration on the TM's or the bursts are so short the belt isnt up to speed when it is over. lol...maybe it is km. They are definitely faster than 14 mm. The stupid thing is when she has them stand on the edges of the TM, she starts it up at "14" and they are expected to jump on and run. Stupid dangerous in terms of injury with really zero fitness benefit vs just pumping up a normal interval. BUT they couldnt keep up if they were already running and the thing took several seconds to ramp up. I am guessing the interval is short enough so they only semi keep up and she ends it before they fly off the back of the tread. Could I go that fast for 10 seconds? hmm...just did the math on 14 km/h...that is very possible. thats a 6:54 pace. I would buy they could do short intervals there.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't think I could, and I'm naturally a sprinter. I have no idea how fast my all-out sprint is, but I doubt it's even 14mph.
                            Think of it this way. 14mph is a 64-second quarter, and a 32-second 200m. Pretty damn fast, esp for anyone on that show.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Well, I just hope someone clears this important enigma up. I'll simply toss and turn all night worrying about it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, I just hope someone clears this important enigma up. I'll simply toss and turn all night worrying about it.
                                *snerk*